Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter BEAUTIFUL DESOLATION - isometric post-apocalyptic adventure from STASIS developer

HoboForEternity

sunset tequila
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
hmm, i guess, obsidian obviously got more experience and fancier toys to fiddle with, but still those screenshots are amazing.

Pyke

The Brotherhood
Developer
hmm, i guess, obsidian obviously got more experience and fancier toys to fiddle with, but still those screenshots are amazing.

A big thing is time and resources. They coded their own shader system that allows them to actually construct their images from layers within the engine - so they can turn off shadows, alter lighting passes, etc. We took a look at implementing a similar system - but it would have literally doubled the workload on me. Our story and game also doesnt 'require' things like that, because the game itself is a linear adventure - and ultimately we went with more environments and areas to explore and a larger story.
The nice thing is that once this game is done - the next one will have all of this tech as a foundation to build on, so we may look into ways to get more dynamic environments. I would love a day/night cycle next game, as well as a weather system!

DeepOcean

Arcane
They should have given the Numenera licence to you... or thinking better... why do you need that crap anyway? Gonna make a better and more creative post apoc game than Fargo's shovelware making losers. Keep the good job, really wanna play post land confiscation South Africa, all those hungry children will make a nice atmospheric post apocalyptic backdrop.

agris

Arcane
Patron
Looks amazing Pyke, I've missed grandiose public works like that in games. The statues remind me of

eKHPp.jpg

lightbane

Arcane
What's up with those heads? Some seem somewhat poorly placed. Also, in before someone says "Dark Souls 3 did that scene first with the Underp Kings."

agris

Arcane
Patron
That's some impressive animation! I'd love to see that fight slowed down 10x.

Pyke I just watched the trailer that Infinitron posted, and it looks like the gameworld is clear from interaction/transition icons. It looks great! If you don't mind, would you tell us a bit about why you decided to pare down the icons? I don't mean because of our conversation, but what about the aesthetics or experience y'all decide benefited from it?

Pyke

The Brotherhood
Developer
What's up with those heads? Some seem somewhat poorly placed. Also, in before someone says "Dark Souls 3 did that scene first with the Underp Kings."

Sorry I didnt see this!
The heads are on long necks - that particular angle makes them look like they are placed awkwardly - but in motion they work well. Good eye tho! I think staring at these things for so long you tend to edit out things that dont look 'right'.

Pyke

The Brotherhood
Developer

Pyke I just watched the trailer that Infinitron posted, and it looks like the gameworld is clear from interaction/transition icons. It looks great! If you don't mind, would you tell us a bit about why you decided to pare down the icons? I don't mean because of our conversation, but what about the aesthetics or experience y'all decide benefited from it?

Thanks dude! Im a pretty crappy animator, so hearing things like that is awesome! :D Honestly the speed hides a LOT of the errors!

Pyke

The Brotherhood
Developer

We tweak things daily - scalability of the UI is something we are pretty much ALWAYS changing - and if we ever wanna move over to consoles we have to have a UI that is super flexible. In fact I believe that the icons can actually be scaled in the games options menu separately from the text, and can dynamically be moved/centered/justified if there is additional info on the screen.

Bohr

Arcane
Tweet I posted above seems to have disappeared (did Blomkamp hire Ryan Morrison?), this is what it was referencing but perhaps Chris will repost the animation sometime in the future.

Ix1sdCxL_o.png

Pyke

The Brotherhood
Developer
Tweet I posted above seems to have disappeared (did Blomkamp hire Ryan Morrison?), this is what it was referencing but perhaps Chris will repost the animation sometime in the future.

Ix1sdCxL_o.png

I will do a better look at whats happening there in the close future!

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
https://www.kickstarter.com/project...n-isometric-post-apocalyptic-ad/posts/2371084

MEET MARK, DON & POOCH
Posted by Christopher Bischoff (Creator)

Season's greetings, avid adventurers!
We would like to show you the final design for our intrepid heroes.

cc8148a6c0027af1a157b46adb633397_original.gif

Chris has put his low-poly modeling skills to the ultimate test, and produced really amazing 3D assets. He has also polished off all of their animations - we're now focusing on getting them looking and working spiffily in the engine.

569c5531b93b3fa63ee4a6954628f22f_original.gif

f603d2076b4f1669503f58520d4c6e40_original.gif

6498210c7eb6926709d5bbd24330315a_original.gif

All the scene backgrounds are just about done, which includes integrating each into the game and testing them out.

59f1851a6c87595511c13931c2c70d00_original.gif

We have over 70, 8000px backgrounds all featuring meticulous 2D detail! There are a few outstanding that cover the intro scene and finale screen (best left to last), so we'll tackle them in January.

7a0f98f321caa61b61f29b3935ecefe9_original.gif

23bfe536551bfaa3a8cb278c1ae7deb4_original.png

9dbf9cc40830c1e44450f67e5bb77eee_original.gif

2b96e8ac893a2a8d4026dad9f7097328_original.png

Thank you for the support this year and we'll see you in 2019!
The BROS :)

P.S
Have you wish-listed DESOLATION on Steam yet?
If not please do so here; https://store.steampowered.com/app/912570/BEAUTIFUL_DESOLATION/

P.P.S

We don't normally post about other projects but please check out the Kickstarter for Freja and the False Prophecy

This tiny team are doing some awesome world building for this Metroidvania inspired platformer. They are over half way and there are only 2 weeks left to get it done. They also have a Windows/OSX demo, which is always a plus!

Here is the link: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1769906085/freja-and-the-false-prophecy-norse-platforming-gam/description

MRY

Wormwood Studios
Developer
I do think the "successor to PS:T" label on this is pretty legit, at least from the standpoints of visuals and setting originality.

ScrotumBroth

Arcane
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here Strap Yourselves In
While I agree with the sentiment to an extent, a part of me feels like this game doesn't need such comparisons as it's new and unique enough in its own way.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom