Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter BEAUTIFUL DESOLATION - isometric post-apocalyptic adventure from STASIS developer

HoboForEternity

sunset tequila
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
So bra bones sidequest.

does either telling his brother wants nothing to do with him or telling him the brother is dead or lie and tell his brother wants to meet you change anything? Can you reconcile the brothers?

Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Just finished it. What an awesome and stunningly beautiful adventure game Pyke! Good guy playthrough took me 12h, feels exactly like right length. I would definitely like more stuff in setting!

A small nitpick:
Buffallo with Fusion upgrade has a lovely blue flame in world map, but same orange as without upgrade in area maps. Totally broke my immersion ;)

Pyke

The Brotherhood
Developer
Just finished it. What an awesome and stunningly beautiful adventure game Pyke! Good guy playthrough took me 12h, feels exactly like right length. I would definitely like more stuff in setting!

A small nitpick:
Buffallo with Fusion upgrade has a lovely blue flame in world map, but same orange as without upgrade in area maps. Totally broke my immersion ;)

THE GAME IS BROEKN. FULL REFUNDS TO ALL. WE ARE SORRY.

I know I'm shilling for free shit - but if you could write a review on Gog/Steam that would be awesome!

Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Already reviewed on Steam. Somehow I have both Steam and GOG key, as I think I backed both on kickstarter and codex fundraiser. I guess I have a spare key to give away to a non-shit codex poster ;)

MRY

Wormwood Studios
Developer

I’ve always found it too grim to think of pirated copies as lost sales; I prefer to treat them as gained players. If anything, I’d rather someone pirate Primordia than watch a stream of it, as the latter flattens the experience and reinforces the view of adventure games as cartoons to watch rather than challenges to overcome.

Still, hope those guys throw you some guilt-geld!

Pyke

The Brotherhood
Developer

I’ve always found it too grim to think of pirated copies as lost sales; I prefer to treat them as gained players. If anything, I’d rather someone pirate Primordia than watch a stream of it, as the latter flattens the experience and reinforces the view of adventure games as cartoons to watch rather than challenges to overcome.

Still, hope those guys throw you some guilt-geld!

Yeah - we are trying to not think of it at lost sales, and I think that my wording was a little poor there. What we were trying to more put out there is that we know that pirates aren't gonna pay a full sale price - but if they enjoyed the game it would be awesome if they could support it by either getting the OST, or just contributing anything.

We are looking at our next projects, and they are all very 'budget specific'. The one that I *really* wanna do would be a slightly higher cost than BD was.

We really want to move into another game and not have to go back to contract work, or doing architectural illustration again. The money we need to go to our 'next phase' (which sometimes feels like a life and death situation), is all in 'flux' right now. Ultimately we want to develop our next game completely independent of any outsider funding - so literally every dollar helps!

Personally, it also feels like a hard slap to backers of the game, and the amazing people who paid for it. Like, the backers helped us make it, and players are helping us fund the next game... and pirates are sort of leeching off the good will of those people.

That said, the sales of BD have been good, and the feedback has been excellent. We can see where we need to improve, and how to make the next project even better. It can all sometimes feel a little overwhelming when you get this close to the razors edge!

Jinn

Arcane
Love the song that plays on the Saxonworld overworld map. Love most of the music in general.

About 6 hours in now and really enjoying myself. I like how you actually allow the player to piece the setting, history, and characters together with their OWN BRAIN (who would have thought?)! Really enjoy the openworld adventuring too. It fun to gain access to new areas, see characters move around the world, and have a fair amount of freedom as to how you proceed and what goals you want to tackle at any given time. Great writing too. Very likeable characters.

Will be writing a positive steam review when I've finished the game, which I'll probably post here too. Hope we have many more years of Brotherhood games ahead of us.

Last edited:
Naming bad guys after a fast food place = priceless :lol:
Wouldn't call them "the bad guys". I certainly don't like their methods, and their goals, but wouldn't say they are evil. TBH, none of the factions (even the Fley) seemed downright evil - just different levels of disagreeable for me.

Zarniwoop

TESTOSTERONIC As Fuck™
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Wouldn't call them "the bad guys". I certainly don't like their methods, and their goals, but wouldn't say they are evil. TBH, none of the factions (even the Fley) seemed downright evil - just different levels of disagreeable for me.

Being bad or not isn't the point. The point is they are named after a restaurant chain.

Pyke

The Brotherhood
Developer

Being bad or not isn't the point. The point is they are named after a restaurant chain.

Nic named them. :D I'm trying to think if any other names have some sort of significance.

Mongrels were originally Baas - but we altered them to be the lost ancestors of Baas, and to keep the Baas a little more mysterious.
Nest were originally called Phage, but that sounded a little too 'look at our cool scifi names', so we went with something a little more grounded.

We had earlier stories that focused on the early days of the Priests, so they would have had a much larger presence in each area - so more soldiers, big holograms with their 'message', etc - but I thought it was more interesting to have them more be a shrinking power in the world.

The only major cut we made was a race called The Children who lived in the space that you traveled through with the Wardens, and you would contact them by traveling through the Wardens at certain times. It was a cool idea, but we removed the timing stuff with the Wardens, so ultimately The Children got cut as well. They were very cool creatures, basically made up of the Ether.

Pyke

The Brotherhood
Developer
The only major cut we made
It also looks to me like a lot of the art from the promo/kickstarter materials didn't make it. Like, for example, I don't think I've seen any of these scenes in the game:

What happened to them? I'm particularly sad about the giraffes.

Those were more art explorations to find a style. We couldnt get the giraffes to work and look good. They were actually in the Kettle in the bottom right - but they just looked.... not good. I liked them, Nic hated them. :D

The bar scene was changed around to become the bar in Witherberg.

The Oasis there was part of a scene in the final temple (you can see the ships inside the rocks in the big map), but yeah - that scene didn't make it in.

There are lots of these smaller scenes that had to be dropped before we finalised them. The above ones were done when we were gonna have the scenes only be 1 screen (so no scrolling), but when we added in scrolling we had to alter how the graphics were displayed.

I also have a marketplace that we had to drop that I loved. And some additional expansions to the Fley homeland.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom