Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Beautiful shit

Necroscope

Arcane
Codex 2014
Resident Evil 2 Remake is supposedly a good game that looks nice

This is stupid, why don't Konami do a Silent Hill series remake. The franschise is stagnating.
Because these are not kinds of games that modern audience would be fond of. Besides, they still look great in their non-candy, rugged glory:
bfpjgjujlma01.jpg

Verylittlefishes

Sacro Bosco
Patron
Resident Evil 2 Remake is supposedly a good game that looks nice

This is stupid, why don't Konami do a Silent Hill series remake. The franschise is stagnating.
Because these are not kinds of games that modern audience would be fond of. Besides, they still look great in their non-candy, rugged glory:
bfpjgjujlma01.jpg

For me it is still unbelievable, how Team Silent could do in 3 years (2002-2004) three such outstanding and complex games as SH 2-4.

Well, I guess, this art of doing things quickly AND brilliantly now forever lost together with Black Isle (8 legendary titles developed AND 5 others published in 6,5 years) and Troika (3 Codex's all-time favourites developed and published in 4 years). The only company that brings hope today is FromSoftware, but they are a) pretty repetitive and b) pretty big after Dark Souls. Something is wrong with our times.

Verylittlefishes

Sacro Bosco
Patron
Fallout New Vegas with HD graphic mod? You want something nice to look at with 60+ FPS or something~

Just installed it, still looks meh.

HD graphic mods, bitch! Try different mods to see which style click with you.

I started installing shit from here https://medium.com/the-backlog-gog-...autiful-youll-fall-in-love-again-d74239715a30
get to the middle of the process and get bored. Probably should continue, my Cheyenne is still ugly.

Verylittlefishes

Sacro Bosco
Patron

Aside from PES, Konami is moving away from console/PC games to mobile.
Even back in 2014 when Kojimbo tried to make a new Silent Hills game, they shut him down.

The Decline™ is not only real, it is palpable.

I have big hope for Death Stranding anyway.

Necroscope

Arcane
Codex 2014
I prefer vanilla potato faces to those shining lifeless mugs.

But seriously, playing New Vegas for "beautiful shit" experience is so desperate it's funny. Anything that runs on Bethesda engine is synonymous with dated and ugly shit.

Verylittlefishes

Sacro Bosco
Patron
I prefer vanilla potato faces to those shining lifeless mugs.

But seriously, playing New Vegas for "beautiful shit" experience is so desperate its funny. Anything that runs on Bethesda engine is synonymous with dated and ugly shit.

Well, I wanted to play NV for years to get this Ultimate Chrise Avellone experience everybody is so mad about, but without mods I physically can't stand the look of this desert (like, literally can't).

Necroscope

Arcane
Codex 2014
It's hard not to complement New Vegas for its branching dialogues, skill checks and CQC, but nothing else in that game deserves praise. The setting is meh, locations bland, combat clunky, UI couldn't be possibly worse... One can go on. New Vegas is like an uninteresting story with uninteresting characters, but told in an interesting way. A nicely flavored soup made from potatoes. You're amused and bored at the same time.

Beowulf

Arcane
Yeah, Arma 3 was in my list initially (particularly 2019 DLC Contact). Didn't remember why it is not here anymore. I've playmed ArmA 2: DayZ Mod back in 2013 and that was impressive.
You could also try Squad. That's graphics intensive.

But Squad is MP only, and in Arma most enjoyment comes from playing MP as well.

Solid recommendations from this thread:
Kingdom Come
Prey
Dishonored 2
Total War games

Less demanding on the hardware, but still very good looking:
Witcher 3
The Hunter: Call of the wild
Alien Isolation

If you are into sims you might take a look at:
Il 2: BoS (and other battles from the series)
Elite Dangerous (but gameplay gets boring after some time)

For RTS you might take a look at Steel Division series.

Last edited:

Andhaira

Arcane
Bought myself a new shaitan machine, hi-end, as they say.

Please recommend some very beautiful PC games which are also not completely dull for testing the boundaries of the beauty. If there are any.

Tried already on ultras:

Sekiro (not so hi-end actually)
Ideas?

Sekiro looks shit on hi end?

Verylittlefishes

Sacro Bosco
Patron

Please recommend some very beautiful PC games which are also not completely dull for testing the boundaries of the beauty. If there are any.

Tried already on ultras:

Ideas?

Sekiro looks shit on hi end?

No, it looks very good, just not extraordinary.

Necroscope

Arcane
Codex 2014
The last time I went "wow" seeing a game was in 2007 - that was Crysis, obviously. Ever since there was no such a huge leap forward in terms of graphics, and Crysis still holds up 12 fucking years later - let that sink in.

Gerrard

Arcane
Ghost Recon Wildlands is still one of the best looking games, seems like environment artists are the only people with talent over at Ubisoft.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
It's not my intent to bring you down OP, but there's no reason to build a high end PC these days. Modern graphics suck ass - uninspired and generic art direction, tons of godawful post-processing... There's not a single game I can think of that would be worth it.

While I dislike modern processing effects most of the time, this is a silly generalization. Also it's kind of irrelevant if you want to play newer games, because sexy or not they won't run on a potato.

Grampy_Bone

Arcane
Wandering the world randomly in search of maps

Tried already on ultras:

Control (shit)
Plague Tale: Innocence (stupid voiceover)
DOOM4 (cartoon)
Agony (wtf is this)
Hellblade (cool, but I know the ending( )

Wanna try:

Kingdom Come: Deliverance
ECHO
Fallen Order
Death Stranding
RDD2
Witcher 3 (they said it still rocks visually)
The Council
Star Citizen (is it even released?)

Initially I wanted to try Life Is Strange 2, Gears 4-5 and Assasin's Creed Whatever, but I'm afraid I will not be able to bear such stupidity.

Ideas?

Monster Hunter World Iceborne just came out.

Yeah, Arma 3 was in my list initially (particularly 2019 DLC Contact). Didn't remember why it is not here anymore. I've playmed ArmA 2: DayZ Mod back in 2013 and that was impressive.

I second this. I disagree about Squad being any really good looking compared to Arma though. Up close Squad looks great, great effects but beyond that it just looks bad and washed out. Also there is this "plastic" look about it (just like Post Scriptum) which is just wrong for realistic kind of game. Besides both Squad and Post Scriptum are EXTREMELY limited in what they offer gameplay-wise - MP only, small maps, no destruction, basic medical system, few modes, just few vehicles, few weapons, there is SO little content.

Compare Arma and Squad for yourself.

Also to add to recommendations - Metal Gear Solid: Ground Zeroes / V: The Phantom Pain looks great (especially the lightning and models).

Last edited:

Verylittlefishes

Sacro Bosco
Patron

I second this. I disagree about Squad being any really good looking compared to Arma though. Up close Squad looks great, great effects but beyond that it just looks bad and washed out. Also there is this "plastic" look about it (just like Post Scriptum) which is just wrong for realistic kind of game. Besides both Squad and Post Scriptum are EXTREMELY limited in what they offer gameplay-wise - MP only, small maps, no destruction, basic medical system, few modes, just few vehicles, few weapons, there is SO little content.

Compare Arma and Squad for yourself.

Also to add to recommendations - Metal Gear Solid: Ground Zeroes / V: The Phantom Pain looks great (especially the lightning and models).

MGS 5! Completely forgot that it was on PC. But will I understand anything if not played the previous parts?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom