Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Beautiful shit

Curratum

So many recommendations, no mention for the single most beautiful depiction of our planet earth in a video game - theHunter: Call of the Wild.

Max that shit out fully, at 1080p, and it will take your new hardware to town.

I just assumed that all dedicated hunting sims were for rednecks and never played one. How's the gameplay in this? Any good? I actually liked the hunting/crafting quests in Far Cry 3-4 so would I like this? I'll try anything once. I generally don't like the idea of shooting harmless real-world animals though except for necessary culling and shit. Only like killing the mutant/demonic ones that have a strong chance of ripping your pods off with a single swipe. But if I did kill a real-world animal I'd be certain to make sure no part of the beast is wasted, from fresh, delicious venison to fur to braised deer penis. Waste not want not.

Gameplay is super slow and methodical, you could say boring if you go in with different expectations. It occupies a middle ground between full-blown simulation and a gamey game, I like it a lot. A lot of mechanics at play from smell, wind direction, sight, sound, a ton of calibers and weapons, etc etc. Lots of DLC though.

DraQ

Arcane
As for the topic:

Ori And The Blind Forest

Wall projector or huge ass screen actually recommended.

But is the gameplay any good? Remember trying it for 5 minutes, astonishing voiceover.
Apart from ultra simplistic combat (actually, just the basic attack - later on you can use other abilities as well) it's:
  • Very enjoyable
  • Hard (as far as I can tell)
  • Fair (no bullshit deaths)
As for the combat, at least it is well integrated with movement and enemies often serve as more than just obstacles to be defeated.
Astonishing OST too.

Around 12h for exhaustive playthrough.
The game is 75% off on Steam right now (but I'd still suggest getting it on GOG instead).

Anyway, it's one of my all time faves and I don't even like platformers so the gameplay is very much yes.
It's astonishingly polished in regards to movement even the exact manner you slide off a wall after jumping into it was subjected to iterative improvement.
Also, 5' in is not even gameplay proper IIRC.

Alpan

Arcane
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy Pathfinder: Wrath
why in the world they need simulation of the activity they can do irl?

I don't recall where exactly -- might be RPS before they went to shit -- but I once read an article discussing Euro and American Truck Simulator's great popularity among retired truckers. Probably the same kind of nostalgic forces at work.

Konjad

Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Recently played some other games I could recommend:

GTA V - pretty and fun - entertaining story and jokes as well as very likeable characters. One of my greatest surprises tbh, haven't had so much fun in an action game for a decade at least. Meh start, but doesn't take long to take off.

Metro: Exodus - beautiful graphically, gameplay is decent, but story and characters are meh.

The Talos Principle - not as good as Antichamber or Portal, but an okay puzzle game with nice graphics (albeit a bit dated)

Pathologic 2 - I just started playing but seemingly it's Pathologic with patches and improved pretty graphics.

Konjad

Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Mount & Blade Bannerlord

One of the best looking games. And immensely FUN, at least in multiplayer.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
GTA V - pretty and fun - entertaining story and jokes as well as very likeable characters. One of my greatest surprises tbh, haven't had so much fun in an action game for a decade at least. Meh start, but doesn't take long to take off.

Not as into the game as you, but it definitely looks amazing for how well it runs.

Burning Bridges

Enviado de meu SM-G3502T usando Tapatalk
The only reason to buy a high-end machine in my book is to play modern 4x games. Recent Warhammer and Total War releases look mighty fine. If they are half as good mechanics-wise, you shouldn't waste your time on shallow shite like Fallen Order, Hellblade, The Council, and most games movies you mentioned in OP.

Or to play simulations. Most games I play these days are simulations and they have fantastic graphics, although it requires a lot of work and is expensive as shit.

This is the only niche where adult gamers have succesfully retreated but you'll enter a world where 1 single addon may cost 50 or 80$ because that addon takes several man years of development (like for example modelling an airliner with all its computer systems)

Verylittlefishes

Sacro Bosco
Patron
The only reason to buy a high-end machine in my book is to play modern 4x games. Recent Warhammer and Total War releases look mighty fine. If they are half as good mechanics-wise, you shouldn't waste your time on shallow shite like Fallen Order, Hellblade, The Council, and most games movies you mentioned in OP.

Or to play simulations. Most games I play these days are simulations and they have fantastic graphics, although it requires a lot of work and is expensive as shit.

This is the only niche where adult gamers have succesfully retreated but you'll enter a world where 1 single addon may cost 50 or 80$ because that addon takes several man years of development (like for example modelling an airliner with all its computer systems)

Microsoft Flight Simulator. I remember...

KittyHawk_E3_withLogo_002-1.jpg

Burning Bridges

Enviado de meu SM-G3502T usando Tapatalk
FS2020 is neither released, close to release or even clear yet what it actually is. It could be the dominant flight simulator of the next 10 years or just a console game in which you fly airplanes. It's most likely going to be a sim-lite that millions of XBox users buy and quickly forget after they reach the point where they have to read instructions and practice.

I'm open with regards to FS2020 but am getting some mixed impressions. Especially on the 3rd patrty content side Microsoft has to make up for 15 lost years. And that's not something they can just buy with lots of money, just as Apple can not buy the applications for their operating system.

There are also some other things I do not like about Microsoft. This will require Windows 10 and a MS account and you are in constant danger of losing availability. Since Microsoft turned to shit some years ago I have seen so much hair raising things as updates that begin when I have just entered a plane, locked accounts for no reason that have to be unlocked with phone numbers because MS wants your number and lots of other shit, that I would have hopes that a product by Microsoft will be a good experience.

I rather imagine you have to login to your account, hope that it lets you in, get bombarded with useless features, unskippable ads, cutscenes and unwanted speech assistants. Once MS decides you have watched enough ads you can fly some and then watch some more stuff.

Also this is going to be a resource hog weith regards to your internet connection. Once you understand the amount of data that is required for the alleged resolution (ZL19) you may envision that you will not be able to run anything else, a lot of people may get locked out by their ISP, or must play in offline mode which is going to look no better if not worse than existing flight sims.

Ovplain

Arcane
Patron
RPG Wokedex
If you wanna see 'beautiful shit,' best get yourself an ultrawide monitor. Though once you get one, there's just no going back.

Only 0.82% of all steam users play games @ 3440 x 1440. And 1.13% are on 2560 x 1080. So support is a bit so-so. Generally it's still pretty good, at least I haven't really had many problems with newer games. Pre-rendered cutscenes might be stuck pillarboxed at 16:9, the game's menu might be stuck @ 16:9, or the game's UI. But for that kind of shit, you can always at least find a community patch or fix or something. It's not a big deal.

Get an ultrawide monitor!

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
I'm replaying Dragon Age Inquisition now and modern GPUs have the power to run it with MSAA instead of the shit blur filter they used. It looks fucking amazing with MSAA on, and is still hard to run at a locked 60fps on a 2070. I had to turn shadows and teselation down a little. Game draws in a few things too close to the character, but other than that it's stunning.

Verylittlefishes

Sacro Bosco
Patron
Tried AC: Unity.

It is indeed very beautiful, but the game itself is so stupid that I can't bear it.

assa.jpg

Tried KC:D.

Very good visuals, pretty lame gameplay and iron bushes, but I'll return to this.

wckNPopbMmO1eNKtU4rlKA.jpeg

Oy_wCidcqwV8DGPIAXtdoZBBwoxZ9dpj-mHthRwNqVEslEgHhJOHZl02ZxsFJycrZU00dvHckoU_64xb-HxwgxtqOA7JD144Pjv5UB9aP6RTrhDQ

Tried Echo (very unusual game, btw, totally recommend). Beautiful, but there is only one location (endless palace and a couple of starting small locations):

maxresdefault.jpg

Thalos Principle on ultras looks amazing:

maxresdefault.jpg

The Vanishing of Ethan Carter redux is totally nuts:

1ee7ee5b3c563b7dfab7ef6f029c8fa2.jpg

Wanna try Fallout 4, also Death Stranding and RDR2 (both are expensive, so no idea when).

Last edited:

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
Might want to try Assassin's Creed Origins. That's the one that changed up the formula and made it more RPG-y. Plays very similarly to Witcher 3. My 2070 and Ryzen 3600 can just barely play it at 60fps on max settings, 1440p.

cretin

Magister
Douchebag!
witcher 3 still looks absolutely fantastic, but its also pretty optimized at this point. Frankly, in a way most games aren't these days, and don't have excuses not to be. I remember playing Prey, although i never had any sort of performance issues, it would make my laptop heat up like a fucking stovestop over a play session, and thats a game that is A) not at all remarkable visually for 2017 (actually behind standards, looks like a 2013-2014 fps) and B) has very few NPCs per area.

Anyway, you wont have trouble running witcher 3 on everything maxed out, including nvidia hairworks :lol:

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
That reminds me, I recently played the first two Tomb Raider reboots. The nvidia hair stuff works great in Rise of the Tomb Raider, but in the original it still tanked my framerate at times, even on a 2070. Especially when it zoomed in during bow aiming, the framerate would go from like 100 to 40 sometimes.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom