Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

1eyedking Beholders in RPGs and other media

Hyperion

Arcane
I think there is a beholder like enemy in Final Fantasy games but it has a different name or something.
The original Final Fantasy has an Evil Eye monster, which is basically a Beholder. If that's not what you're thinking of, it's the Ahriman from the 2D games. In FF12, Ahriman was a ghost-like enemy.

The Last Remnant had things like Beholders, of course.

The Mana games have Beholder-like enemies. Legend of Mana had one called Gorgon Eye, while Seiken Densetsu 3 (Trials of Mana when it gets the switch release next year) had an actual monster called a Beholder. They did, however, lack the Eye Stalks traditionally associated with them.

6297.png

MTG:
fc17fe31-11f1-48e0-9b0d-7c7dcda417a6.jpg

SMT: Raidou Kuzunoha VS Soulless Army:
14-SMT023.jpg

Edit: Added spoilers for the images to clean it up.

Fowyr

Arcane
Vatnik
I came here to post Mulmaster's Beholder Corps and UUW's Gazer, but found that both games were already mentioned.
So I'll just post Nox here.
110129-08.jpg

Fowyr

Arcane
Vatnik
Is it different than Castle Darkmoon (EOB2)?
Yea, it's a dungeon from M&M6 with a ton of beholder-like creatures and liches. Most irritating thing here that beholders dispel all your magic spells, so you need to constantly refresh even simplest and cheapest light and map spells, besides not so-simple and cheap protection spells, bless, heroism and whatnot.

Sigourn

uooh afficionado
beholder.gif

Beholder sprite from Argentine MMORPG Argentum Online. These didn't have any magic attacks, they would just beat the shit out of you.

I've always been a fan of beholders. Good to see them getting some appreciation

You should turn this into a series exploring some of the more underrated recurrent monsters in RPGs

Generic-Giant-Spider

I got a monster that Lilura can write about.

HEH HEH HEH

(Please don't report me to my parole officer)

agentorange

Arcane
Patron
rpghq (cant read codex pms cuz of fag 2fa)
Codex 2012
The original Greyhawk drawing is by far the best rendition of the beholder, shortly followed by the 1st edition. The designs as usual got progressively more exaggerated and dumb. Why would a creature possessing deadly psychic powers need cartoonishly oversized fangs the size of fists, when it could easily scramble a potential victims brains inside their skull, or casually disintegrate them, or turn them to gloop etc. The vacant, alien gaze of the eye in that original drawing is superior as well, as if it has no concern for the adventurer standing beside it, or is bemused by the challenge, as opposed to the later beholder images where it has an, again, cartoonishly exaggerated glare--you know, so everyone is aware that this monster is really mad! OK? And you need those giant fangs and laser beams so people know its dangerous and don't mistake it for a cute little kitten or something. Where the hell did the concepts of subtlety and strangeness go in fantasy illustration.

Darth Canoli

Arcane
World of Xeen's floating eyes : (Mac's version here, way less pixelated than the PC one)

20-xeen_04045.png

Lords of Xulima's Beholder :

LoX%2B2014-12-22%2B08-43-30-77.bmp

Couldn't find a pic of Legend of Amberland's Beholder.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom