Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Best 5E Adventure

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
Me and most of the people I play with have yet to make the switch to 5E - hell, I haven't even read the Player's Handbook yet. What are some of the best adventures for it? Preferably something a bit intriguing with a few surprises - not your standard stuff.

Scroo

Female Quota Staff
Patron
Staff Member
Codex 2014 Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2
Out of the Abyss is a really good and long campaign. It starts in the underdark where, after being introduced as prisoners of the drow and escaping, your players can more or less do what they want but their primary goal is to escape yet they find more and more evidence of demonic presence down there. After they got out of the underdark they'll do some stuff above only to then lead a small army back into the underdark to fight said demonic presence.

It's incredibly fun so far, it has a focus on surviving in the underdark and not losing your mind over the horrors you encounter. The characters will likely develop some nice forms of madness over the course of the campaign.

It's quite a bit of work to prepare tho and you have to find a middle ground between playing out the survival bits and pacing. Also running it can be demanding at times as you juggle A LOT of npcs your players might or might not find and recruit along the way.

This is an excellent guide to help you prepare the campaign, it helped me a lot.

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
I was recommended Curse of Strahd as well, which looks pretty much like a revamp of the old Ravenloft adventure. The doodads in the package look cool enough. Anyone know whether it's worth a look?

Uh, i just make my own world and adventures.

Must be nice not having to work for a living :troll:

kris

Arcane
Uh, i just make my own world and adventures.

while I also made my own worlds I moreso felt that preset adventures should only be used as introduction or inspiration. Only adventure I ever played was the one that came with MERP.

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
I do it the other way around - use adventures as a base and mod them heavily, usually placing them in a setting of my own choosing

Lhynn

Arcane
while I also made my own worlds I moreso felt that preset adventures should only be used as introduction or inspiration. Only adventure I ever played was the one that came with MERP.
Preset adventures kinda limit what i want my world to be from a setting standpoint, from how magic works in the world, to the themes rules and predominant conflicts.
They are nice to test characters or introduce DMs to the task tho.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom