Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Baldur's Gate Best Bg2 "bro"? (not in a homosexual way)

who's the best male companion?

• Minsc

Votes: 14 12.7%
  • Edwin

Votes: 18 16.4%
  • Anomen

Votes: 3 2.7%
  • Jan

Votes: 13 11.8%
  • Keldorn

Votes: 22 20.0%
  • Korgan

Votes: 23 20.9%
  • Valygar

Votes: 4 3.6%
  • Yoshimo

Votes: 9 8.2%
  • Dorn(lol)

Votes: 4 3.6%

• Total voters

Nerevar

N'wah
Patron
Repressed Homosexual
Make the Codex Great Again! Pathfinder: Wrath
Keldorn and Minsc.

Keldorn side quest doesn't make much sense. He gets cucked and the LG action is to report the vile succubus they get punished. But if he tries to "patch things up" he still remains LG and can take paladin levels? Shouldn't he be a fighter after that?

oldmanpaco

Master of Siestas
1) Korgan is a bro as long as you get after that book in a timely manner.
2) Edwin is a dick but an amusing one. Also the best NPC to have in your party.
3) Keldorn is good but he kills my camp bitch and Anomen is just to irritating to take along.

Also Jan had to be the most annoying character in the fucking game. How people like him is beyond me. Last time I played I took him along as my thief/mage until I dumped him for Imoen and god damn I wanted to murder him.

Yosharian

Arcane
1) Korgan is a bro as long as you get after that book in a timely manner.
2) Edwin is a dick but an amusing one. Also the best NPC to have in your party.
3) Keldorn is good but he kills my camp bitch and Anomen is just to irritating to take along.

Also Jan had to be the most annoying character in the fucking game. How people like him is beyond me. Last time I played I took him along as my thief/mage until I dumped him for Imoen and god damn I wanted to murder him.
We like him because he annoys you.

Eyestabber

Arcane
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
Sarevok has some pretty cool party banter, specially with Imoen, but I vote for Jan. He's funny and way better than that pretentious cunt Nalia or that treacherous faggot.

the_shadow

Arcane
Edwin is a true bro, and he's funny evil (as opposed to Minsc being funny stupid, and Jan being funny odd), and can be a better mage than the PC due to his necklace. Jan is a close second with the way he aggravates other party members. I'm not sure why Keldorn is getting so many votes, he's a stick in the mud with a one-dimensional personality, essentially a Valygar who can wield the Holy Avenger. Anomen is actually more interesting, especially if he fails his character quest.

Very surprised by all the Keldorn fans. He's cool in a John Wayne sort of way, but not very interesting when compared to the rest of the cast. Haer'Dalis is another consipucous absence from this list too. Cool character, if a bit of a snowflake. A bit mechanically underwhelming for most of SoA, but really starts to kick ass once you get to the Underdark.

Gibson

Learned
voted Edwin but I like Korgan the same. these two are in my party on most of my playthroughs.

Cyberarmy

Love fool
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin 2
A very hard decision for me, between Korgan and Jan.

:shredder:
Ultimately Jan Jansen wins!

Edwin: Out with it, gnome! I see that you are fabricating another of your fanciful lies as you look at me!

Jan: Oh, don't get all huffy. It's just that, at this angle you look a lot like my Uncle Ager of the Tomes.

Edwin: Ah, and I suppose he had a comical disfigurement, or his mind fell a few coppers short of a silver, or that his tremendous odor kept the stars afloat, or some other thinly disguised failing told ONLY to demean me in the eyes of others!

Jan: Eh, no, he was a mage. Tell me, Edwin, are you having trouble at home?

Edwin: (sigh) Go away, gnome. Go away.

Love this one

Korgan getting Jan to tell a story is quite funny and disturbing:
Korgan: ‘Tis been far too long since our last battle. Jan, ye runty windbag, tell me a story to ward off the boredom ... and if ye know what’s good for ye, it’ll be about dwarves!
Jan: Ah, finally someone who appreciates my tales! A tale about dwarves, eh? Let me see, of course - my cousin Kimble. Not a dwarf himself per se, but Kimble always was of peculiar tastes for a gnome. He fell in love with a dwarven lass. She was stout and stocky, with a gruff voice and a soft, supple beard...
Korgan: Ah, gnome, ye know how to paint a lovely picture ... such a beauty she must ha’ been!
Jan: Oh yes, she was a fine looking woman ... to Kimble’s eyes at least. She cast a spell on him far stronger than any sorcerer could have. But she wouldn’t have anything to do with my cousin - she had dwarven princes and clan lords after her calloused hands, and she couldn’t be bothered with a dirt poor turnip farming gnome. But Kimble’s heart wouldn’t be denied ... he left his own family to follow this bewitching character back to her clan home.
Korgan: Yer losin’ me gnome, I don’t want no weeping love story. I want killin’ and death! Give me blood!
Jan: You wanted a story about dwarves, and this is the only one I’ve got. I just can’t make up a life, you know ... that would be an affront to the grand tradition of storytelling in my family! Now, where was I? Oh yes, Kimble. My cousin followed the lovely dwarven lass to her clan home in the Alimir Mountains, and started a turnip farm there. He had a rough go of it at first, let me tell you ... taxes, levies, zoning restrictions. It was almost like the dwarves didn’t want him and his farm there. But they never had turnips, so they didn’t really know what they were missing. One of those turnips started to sprout things, changed in a hurry. Turns out the dwarves of that particular clan LOVED turnips. Fried, baked, boiled, pureed, mashed - you couldn’t find a meal of the day they didn’t have turnips with. Turnips became so fashionable they began to wear clothes made from turnips. Never did a dwarf look so snazzy (or smell so appetizing) as when he dressed up in a turnip top hat and turnip tails, with turnip skin shoes to complete the ensemble. And with his turnip business booming, Kimble had more wealth than he knew what to do with. Just walking around his house was an effort, what with all the mountains of gold spilling out of every door of every room.
Korgan: All that gold got me attention, gnome. But the happy ending isn’t doin’ much for me.
Jan: Happy ending? I never said any such thing. Kimble was rich, true enough - but it turns out his dwarven love didn’t share her clans’ fondness for turnips. In fact, she was deathly allergic. She did her best to avoid the lethal vegetables, but as popular as Kimble’s crops were it was only a matter of time before she accidentally ate one. It killed her, of course. Heartbroken, Kimble tried to return to his own people. But the dwarves just weren’t going to let him and his turnips leave. They threw him in prison and demanded he reveal the secrets of turnip farming, but that isn’t something you can just teach. You either have the gift or you don’t, and dwarves don’t. In the end Kimble’s frail body succumbed to the dwarves’ torture and interrogation and he left to join his beloved in the afterlife. And that particular dwarven clan discovered that turnip farmers were almost as tasty as turnips themselves. Or so I’ve heard.
Korgan: HAR! HAR! HAR! A great tale, gnome. Ye done yerself proud!

Last edited:

Martyr

Arcane
2 pages in and nobody's mentioned the best bro yet??

:rpgcodex:

6a172eace0e20a90e771e72effcce78e.jpg

Apostle Hand

Liturgist
Batshit Crazy
haer dalis

blade offensive spin defensive spin

mage spells 1-6

specialized in short swords dual wields three points

15 % resistance to slashing piercing and crushing damage plus fire cold acid resistance

good bloke funny loves aerie

sarevok is ok heavy hitter

dorn il khan is ok too heavy hitter bit gay can summon fallen deva at higher levels poison weapon cool absorb health aura of despair

korgan is ok heavy hitter berserker rage

Generic-Giant-Spider

Wait, Korgan has an exchange where he calls Aerie "stumpy" or something right?

Okay, he's the best one. Not as cool as Xzar, but he's close.

jungl

Augur
I remember my first run of baldurs gate 2. Anomen for being a real nigga with his own wants and desires in the game. I love how he rages and tries to murder aerie if you fail his quest. Baldurs gate 2 was awesome.

ga♥

Arcane
Vatnik
Why is the poll anonymous hmm?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom