Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Best blobbers of the last decade

Which modern blobbers have you enjoyed the most?

• [TB] Descend (2011)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • [TB] Silversword (2011)

• [TB] Dark Delve (2011)

• [JAP] Class of Heroes 2 (2013)

• [TB] Coldfire Keep (2014)

• [TB] The Legend of Candlewind: Nights & Candles (2015)

• [JAP] MeiQ: Labyrinth of Death (2015/2016)

• [RT] The Deep Paths: Labyrinth Of Andokost (2016)

• [JAP] Ray Gigant (2016)

• [JAP] Town of Night (2016)

• [JAP] Mary Skelter: Nightmares (2016/2017)

• [JAP] Demon Gaze 2 (2016/2017)

• [RT] Haunted Dungeons: Hyakki Castle (2017)

• [JAP] The Lost Child (2017/2018)

• [RT] Arakion: Book One (2018)

• [RT] Moonshades: a dungeon crawler RPG (2019)

• [TB] Heroes of a Broken Land 2 (2019)

• Total voters
Codex Year of the Donut
How can Elminage:Gothic have less votes than Grimrock

Maybe because it looks like this?

3b01b8847975805aedff98a14e424929adf1003ae57dfd33b4b44815e58c8f92_product_card_v2_mobile_slider_639.jpg

Remember:

Don't judge a book by its cover.

In this case:

Don't judge a game by its art-style.
If an author didn't want me to judge his book by the cover he should have picked a better cover

Grauken

Gourd vibes only
Patron
What you guys don't understand is that anime is a abstract art, what you see is not 100% what is supposed to be, just a abstraction.

For example, you may see this with your eyes:

422b7f21722b5c9dbdb12bc2afa6f801.png

but this is what you're really supposed to see in your head:

screen-2.jpg

Just use your imagination to fill the gaps, like when you're playing tabletop RPGs or reading books.

Lady_Error

█▓▒░ ░▒▓█
Patron
Aren't blobbers fans supposed to be gameplay fags ? then, why they're complaining about the anime art-style ?

The Elminage Gothic artstyle is fine, it's not even anime as such. The game is for those who like the combat simulator type of blobbers like the early Wizardry.

I prefer the more open-world type blobbers like Grimoire or later Wizardry.

Lady_Error

█▓▒░ ░▒▓█
Patron
What you guys don't understand is that anime is a abstract art, what you see is not 100% what is supposed to be, just a abstraction.

screen-2.jpg

Just use your imagination to fill the gaps, like when you're playing tabletop RPGs or reading books.

Filling the gaps in a serious RPG for adults requires that what is given to you does not break immersion like anime lollies or pokemons.

screen-2.jpg

Filling the gaps in a serious RPG for adults requires that what is given to you does not break immersion like anime lollies or pokemons.
I dunno Lady Error; Etrian odyssey (only played I and III on DS) has very solid combatfag blobber combat. Although yes animu cancer toleration is required for that.

But stuff like Dark Spire and Elminage Gothic are not weeb style art. Its the best we can get these days for early wiz fans and does a damn good job at it.

Last edited:

Lady_Error

█▓▒░ ░▒▓█
Patron
I loved Dark Spire (it doesn't have anime) and kind of enjoyed the first Etryan Odyssey, but skipped the rest.

mondblut

Arcane
Remember:

In this case:

Not when the "cover" is actively trying to cause eye cancer and making you feel ashamed over your choice of the hobby.

Aren't blobbers fans supposed to be gameplay fags ? then, why they're complaining about the anime art-style ?

Like japanese Proving Grounds ripoffs have anything valuable to offer in terms of gameplay. Inflated stats, stupid classes who all cast not-spells for not-mana instead of bashing shit, random encounter every step, random lootboxes after every encounter, mostly retarded settings and inane stories - thanks, I'll pass.

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
GRIMWAH

Grimrock 2 was good, too, and I enjoyed M&M X. Sword and Sorcery Underworld is underrated.

This list contains some TB blobbers I never heard of before, so that's nice. Some good stuff to check out.
Not a big fan of RT blobbers, Grimrock 2 was good but it's not my favorite subgenre. Gimme TB encounters instead of step dancing.

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.

The Elminage Gothic artstyle is fine, it's not even anime as such. The game is for those who like the combat simulator type of blobbers like the early Wizardry.

I prefer the more open-world type blobbers like Grimoire or later Wizardry.

My main issue with Jap Wiz clones is that most of them are Wiz 1 clones. It's as if Wizardry 6-8 never happened, and of course other series like M&M don't exist either. I like the fact that Japs are conservative and still make blobbers, but they're a tad too conservative.

Lady_Error

█▓▒░ ░▒▓█
Patron
1. Grimoire
2. Might & Magic X
3. Can't really decide here: Legends of Amberland, Grimrock 2, maybe Operencia if it turns out well

Bruma Hobo

Lurker
My main issue with Jap Wiz clones is that most of them are Wiz 1 clones. It's as if Wizardry 6-8 never happened
Nothing necessarily wrong with that, it's not like the Dark Savant trilogy was the logical conclusion of the Wizardry series.

The problem with Japanese blobbers (and JRPGs in general) is that Japanese developers never understood role-playing games (just like western developers don't get fighting games and shoot em ups), which means that every single "innovation" they bring to the table is absolute garbage (adding anime plots at the expense of player agency and customization options, arcade minigames, quirky settings completely disjointed from the game rules, and so on). This is why only their most derivative games are worth playing, that is generic Wizardry clones with the exact same classes and spells.

If you want some sort of non-degenerate innovation, keep playing western RPGs, because Japan is only good at polishing and selling the same old shit.

TL;DR: Japs have no soul.

Last edited:

Lady_Error

█▓▒░ ░▒▓█
Patron
Half-time score:

1. Grimoire (53 votes)
2. Legend of Grimrock 2 (30 votes)
3. Legend of Grimrock (28 votes)
4. Might & Magic X (27 votes)
5. Elminage Gothic (23 votes)
6. Paper Sorcerer (20 votes)
7. Swords and Sorcery (14 votes)
8. Legends of Amberland (12 votes)
8. Labyrinth of Refrain (12 votes)
8. Starcrawlers (12 votes)

Last edited:
Codex Year of the Donut
Half-time score:

1. Grimoire (53 votes)
2. Legend of Grimrock 2 (30 votes)
3. Legend of Grimrock (28 votes)
4. Might & Magic X (27 votes)
5. Elminage Gothic (23 votes)
6. Paper Sorcerer (20 votes)
7. Swords and Sorcery (14 votes)
8. Legends of Amberland (12 votes)
8. Labyrinth of Refrain (12 votes)
10. Operencia (10 votes)
10. Stranger of Sword City (10 votes)
[TB] StarCrawlers (2017)
12 vote(s)

gogis

Scholar
Remember:

In this case:

I willing to play ASCII; but whenever I run the game and see that, all I want to do is to be blind and deaf. You severely underestimate how obnoxious anime-style to most people. It's revolting, actually

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom