Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Best blobbers of the last decade

Which modern blobbers have you enjoyed the most?

• [TB] Descend (2011)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • [TB] Silversword (2011)

• [TB] Dark Delve (2011)

• [JAP] Class of Heroes 2 (2013)

• [TB] Coldfire Keep (2014)

• [TB] The Legend of Candlewind: Nights & Candles (2015)

• [JAP] MeiQ: Labyrinth of Death (2015/2016)

• [RT] The Deep Paths: Labyrinth Of Andokost (2016)

• [JAP] Ray Gigant (2016)

• [JAP] Town of Night (2016)

• [JAP] Mary Skelter: Nightmares (2016/2017)

• [JAP] Demon Gaze 2 (2016/2017)

• [RT] Haunted Dungeons: Hyakki Castle (2017)

• [JAP] The Lost Child (2017/2018)

• [RT] Arakion: Book One (2018)

• [RT] Moonshades: a dungeon crawler RPG (2019)

• [TB] Heroes of a Broken Land 2 (2019)

• Total voters

V_K

Arcane
M&M games, at least starting from MM3, are blobbers for people who don't like blobbers. MMXL is no exception.

Dude, what? So MM3 was fine, but World of Xeen was not? You do realize that MMX is actually closer to the early M&M than anything past MM6?

And Grimrock is just a bad combat simulator with pretty graphics. The second one is better though.
"Starting from MM3" means including MM3. I can kinda understand the appeal of MM1-2, but afterwards everything gets so streamlined, simplified and "accessible"-ized that I utterly fail to see why this "original popamole" has any sort of oldschool cred.
The first Grimrock had great puzzles and level design in general going for it, with RPG part sort of coming second. Second Grimrock imrpoved both the RPG part and the level design part with robust character system, creative enemy designs and more interactive environments. MMXL though? What is it that it does good? Its combat and chardev is just as shallow as first Grimrock, only turn-based, but levels are bland and uninspired, and setting and plot even more so.
I mean I get it, all other aspects being equal - even half the other aspects being equal - I'd pick a turn-based game over a real-time one any day. But in this particular case, they are galaxies away from being equal.

Lady_Error

█▓▒░ ░▒▓█
Patron
I can kinda understand the appeal of MM1-2, but afterwards everything gets so streamlined, simplified and "accessible"-ized that I utterly fail to see why this "original popamole" has any sort of oldschool cred.

A Grimrock fan talking about "streamlined, simplified and popamole". Are you serious, dude?

MMXL though? What is it that it does good? Its combat and chardev is just as shallow as first Grimrock, only turn-based, but levels are bland and uninspired, and setting and plot even more so.

The MMX combat is 100 times better than Grimrock combat. You have many locations, NPC's and not just one empty dungeon with enemies. And speaking of setting and plot, there is basically none in Grimrock. It's just a dungeon with some puzzles and bad combat.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom