Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Incline Best Games of The 2010's

What's yer fave games of the 2010's?

• Shadowrun Returns

Votes: 1 12.5%
  • Shadowrun Dragonfall

Votes: 3 37.5%
  • Hard West

Votes: 2 25.0%
  • The Witcher 2

• Alan Wake

• X-Com - Enemy Within

• X-Com 2

• Dark Souls

• Dark Souls 2

• Dark Souls 3

• Tales of Berseria

• The Technomancer

• Deus Ex: Human Revolution

• Life Is Strange

• Assassins Creed:Origins

• Saints Row 4

• Batman Arkham City

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Batman Arkham Origins

• The Witcher 3

• Grimoire: Heralds of the Winged Exemplar

• Elex

• Risen 2

• Risen 3

• Disco Elysium

• Mass Effect 1

• Mass Effect 2

• Fallout New Vegas

• Age of Decadence

• Underrail

• Streets of Rogue

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Matador

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
Is Elminage Gothic really that good? I tried it and stopped early because the controls and Engrish style was a pain, but I didn't think the gameplay would be worth persevering.

It depends if you like Wizardry 1-5 a lot. If you do, it's going to be a blast for you, the best iteration on the concept. The problem is the first dungeon is a bit boring and bad designed, and many people leave the game at that point. It's a short one, only 3 Floors, and after that the dungeons are better and better.

It has very good semi-random encounter design, fantastic itemization, great party development with the nice unique classes aside from the classic Wizardry ones (like the summoner, the brawler or the Tarot card dealer Bard), powerful and varied spells, multiclass mechanics, special skills and good crafting(optional).

Your characters can be extremely overpowered, but the monsters and enemy groups are very nasty and dangerous to make the combat interesting. So it balances itself in a fun way, not in a Sawyer way.

Martyr

Arcane
my game of the decade:

best (insert genre) of the decade:
Adventure: also Gorogoa
RPG: Kenshi
Action: Dark Souls 2
Strategy: Dominions 5
Sports: Need for Speed - Payback

anvi

Prophet
Village Idiot
Is Elminage Gothic really that good? I tried it and stopped early because the controls and Engrish style was a pain, but I didn't think the gameplay would be worth persevering.

It depends if you like Wizardry 1-5 a lot. If you do, it's going to be a blast for you, the best iteration on the concept. The problem is the first dungeon is a bit boring and bad designed, and many people leave the game at that point. It's a short one, only 3 Floors, and after that the dungeons are better and better.

It has very good semi-random encounter design, fantastic itemization, great party development with the nice unique classes aside from the classic Wizardry ones (like the summoner, the brawler or the Tarot card dealer Bard), powerful and varied spells, multiclass mechanics, special skills and good crafting(optional).

Your characters can be extremely overpowered, but the monsters and enemy groups are very nasty and dangerous to make the combat interesting. So it balances itself in a fun way, not in a Sawyer way.
Sounds great thanks! I'll give it another go.

AgentFransis

Cipher
Patron
Dominions 5 is of course the best, but you can also say that each Dominions game is just a refinement of the last so 5 isn't really a new game as such.

Zed Duke of Banville

Dungeon Master
Patron
In chronological order:

Fallout: New Vegas
Dark Souls
Legend of Grimrock
Dragon's Dogma: Dark Arisen
Dragon's Crown
Transistor
Shovel Knight
Legend of Grimrock II
Apotheon
Age of Decadence
Salt & Sanctuary
Warlock of Firetop Mountain
Grimoire: Heralds of the Winged Exemplar
Kingdom Come: Deliverance
Kenshi

Silly Germans

Lets mention also some good shooters,

Hard Reset
Shadow Warrior 1
Shadow Warrior 2
Call of Juarez Gunslinger
Doom 2016
Everspace

and as a special mention although still not fully released i think ?

Factorio

TripJack

Hedonist
i barely play vidya anymore, these are what come to mind as the best i played:
mark of the ninja
invisible inc
rimworld
hitman
victoria 2
distant worlds

alpha protocol comes to mind as the worst

Stalker was great I forgot about that.
probably because it didn't come out in the 2010s

Gibson

Learned
(not a ranking) just brainstorming, the theory behind it being that if it pops to mind it was good enough to mention, but i don't look for masterpieces.

Shadowrun Draonfall DC (hit the spot)
Endless Legend / Space 2 (the games are good but I'd rate them just for their "10/10 UI" alone)
Underrail (really nice, but I have to say that atm it's slowly overstaying its welcome)
treasure adventure game (not TA world)
dark souls 1 (also had fun with Salt & Sanctuary)
Ori and the blind forest
Battle Bros
Shovel Knight
FTL
Tiger Woods PGA 13 on X360 with kinect
Mortal Kombat 9 / Super Street Fighter IV
Stealth BAstard games (best @ being a sneaky little fucker)
Mark of the Ninja

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Never realized there were so many wusses on the 'Dex that play faggoty games. :lol:

I have always been quite open about my fondness for puzzle platformers and how I consider them the most elegantly designed genre.

probably because it didn't come out in the 2010s
The properly-patched international version of CoP came out in January 2010.

Dramart

Learned
Dark Souls
Dragon's Dogma
Mass Effect
Fallout New Vegas
Skyrim
Saints Row 3
Batman Arkham City
LOTR The War in the North
Dragon Ball Xenoverse 2
Assassins Creed 2

Valky

Arcane
Manlet
Good lord it's sickening how much decline and popamole is in the OP and this thread.

Games of this decade that have the qualities of greatness to become classics that come to mind are Grimoire and Terraria.

Falksi

Arcane
Good lord it's sickening how much decline and popamole is in the OP and this thread.

Games of this decade that have the qualities of greatness to become classics that come to mind are Grimoire and Terraria.

I'd say most the list which I put up have no chance of being classics, but that doesn't stop them being the games I enjoyed most of the 2010's.

You don't have to feature classics, just ones which you played & enjoyed.

SausageInYourFace

Angelic Reinforcement
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit. Pathfinder: Wrath
Incomplete list from the top of my head:

I'm 100% positive that I will play Invisible Inc. and Star Traders: Frontiers for many decades to come. Also Crusader Kings 2.

The most fun I have had with a recent RPG was Divinity: Original Sin. Probably the best recent tactical game I have played was Templar Battleforce.

Special mention for Life is Strange, which made me feel many feels in my tiny little heart.

Onionguy

Educated
Lets mention also some good shooters,

Hard Reset
Shadow Warrior 1
Shadow Warrior 2
Call of Juarez Gunslinger
Doom 2016
Everspace

and as a special mention although still not fully released i think ?

Factorio

Thanks for naming all the worst shooters of the last decade. Still, the list is missing new-wolfenstein games. But good job anyway.

Galdred

Studio Draconis
Patron
Developer
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Where is Mount and Blade: Warband? it came in 2010.
Edit: Lilura beat me to it.

The 2010's are 9 years (from 2010-2019) or 10 (2009-2019 or 2010-2020)?

:philosoraptor:

01/2010-12/2019 = 10 years. Just count if you have a doubt!

Last edited:

curds

Magister
I have only completed three games made in the last ten years - Skyrim, Superhot and FNV. New Vegas was my favourite of those three. Dragon's Dogma I also liked, but only played about 10 hrs of.

Wyatt_Derp

Arcane
I'll go with Nu-Com games. Spent MANY hours with them, and still do. New Vegas for an honorable mention, as it was a nice attempt to wring something out of Beth's new format for Fallout.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom