Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Incline Best gaming console

• Thread starter Whiny-Butthurt-Liberal
  • Start date

Which console is the best?

• Playstation 4 Slim

• Playstation 4 Pro

• Xbox One S

• Xbox One X

• Nintendo Wii U

• Nintendo Switch

• Other (wut?)

• None, console games are shamefur

Results are only viewable after voting.

Whiny-Butthurt-Liberal

We can all agree that a gaming PC is the way to go, but some consoles have pretty good exclusives, and there is no shame in playing them, if you can afford it. Which console is the most worth buying in addition to your gaming PC?

Revenant

Console games are shamefur obviously, but the NES (and its illegitimate polish/chinese clones) was pretty cool back in the day.

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Pretty Princess Glory to Ukraine
Do 'game' consoles even exist now? They're just computers. I mean, they give you internet, email, tv, movies, and a whole bunch of other shit just like a PC does. Their advantge is they are 'easier to set up and maintain'. Their disadvantage is they tend to be behind the top of the line PCs.

As for games, I find sports games/action rpgs at ebest on console while good old fashion rpgs are easier to play on computer.

As for the poll, my answer is xbox. I used to be playstation and of course and the old days it was Atari/Nintendo/Sega Genesis.

Broseph

Dangerous JB
Patron
Sega Saturn, by far. Excellent library of exclusive games and the emulation is still relatively poor, as far as I know.

Dark Savior, Dragon Force, Guardian Heroes, many good fighting games. Better console than the PS1 in my opinion, but most consoletards have no clue.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

sser

Arcane
Developer
Man I must be way behind the times because I didn't know half of those even existed, nor have I touched a single one.

So I guess I'd go with the SNES because it had such an enormous library of games to choose from. I think the Gameboy Advance or original DS are the best 'console'-ish systems, though. The variety of games and quality of games is insane.

Night Goat

The Immovable Autism
Patron
No Fun Allowed
Codex 2013 Codex 2014
SNES was really the high point of consoles. The next generation was full of early 3d that looked hideous and was a pain to control, plus load times whenever you entered a new room. Then the generations after that were basically PCs that you couldn't do as much with, with no good reason to exist.

Why is this in GD, by the way? Did Liberal forget that gaming forums exist on this gaming site?

free999enigma

Learned
e1W5YdY.jpg

:timetoburn::timetoburn::timetoburn:

Fedora Master

Arcane
Patron
Edgy
SNES was really the high point of consoles. The next generation was full of early 3d that looked hideous and was a pain to control, plus load times whenever you entered a new room. Then the generations after that were basically PCs that you couldn't do as much with, with no good reason to exist.

Why is this in GD, by the way? Did Liberal forget that gaming forums exist on this gaming site?

The PS 2 was pretty good all things considered, although I suppose that's mainly due to the exclusives and not because of its hardware capabilities. I hear Sony still sells a lot of PS2s in places like South America since they are cheap now.

Falksi

Arcane
Even though I game on PC I've always preferred console gaming - can sit at my couch not my desk, no faffing about with config files/mods/etc.

But modern consoles are mostly fucking wank. The 360 was an exception, but I've a PS4 and it's a total bag of bollocks. It's all built around online accessability, and I can never get signed in. The setup itself is shit, watching DVDs in particular is annoying as fuck as if you catch the very sensitive shoulder buttons it rewinds or fast forwards. And don't get me started on the trendy "invisible" on/off/eject buttons.

SNES & Megadrive. Best gaming machines ever. Plug in, game loaded, play....Boom, done. the games were released actually finished too, fancy that eh? The 360 & PS2 are the closest we've come to reaching those highs, but the current gen isn't worth a wet wank..

Trotsky

Arcane
Sony is the only thing keeping console gaming alive. The previous generation was also shit but the PS3 had a really good library by the end of its life cycle.

Console gaming was at its apex in the Ps2, Xbox, and Gamecube era which also included Dreamcast. Those days each platform offered something unique.

The original Xbox which had the brand's best exclusives and graphics & offered the best online service was the M$ Trojan horse into the gaming industry.

I can't say much about Nintendo other than Wii sucked but today a lot depends on whether their massive library becomes available on their digital service.

Falksi

Arcane
Fuck me, the PS4 is WANK.

I'm gobsmacked at how many bad/average games I've played on it, and how decline modern games designed for consoles are in general.

Here's what I've played on it so far:

Games which I buzzed off & thrived on
The Technomancer
Lords Of The Fallen
Assasins Creed:Origins
Tales of Berseria

Games which, despite their faults, I enjoyed to a good degree
Witcher 3 - Blood & Wine
Life Is Strange
Deus Ex - Mankind Divided
Uncharted Collection
Dark Souls 3
Untili Dawn
Nioh

Games which were OK
X-Com 2
Pillars of Eternity
Dex
Valkyria Chronicles
Bloodborne
Injustice
Witcher 3 - Main Game
Dishonoured: Death of The Outsider
Elex
Mass Effect Andromeda
Uncharted 4
MGSV
Zombi

Games which were a total bag of dog-wank
Fallout 4
Theif
Red Dead Redemption 2
Infamous: Second Son
Anima - Gate of Memories
Murdered: Soul Suspect
Bound By Flame
Dying Light
Rise of The Tomb Raider
The Last Of Us
Killzone Shadowfall
Resident Evil 7
Agents of Mayhem
Final Fantasy 15
Horizon Zero Dawn
Ni no kuni 2
Batman: Arkham Knight
Far Cry 4
The Dwarves
Divinity Original Sin

I can't believe there's only 1 game so far which I'd consider for a "favourites" list, nor how many games in general are just lacking.

Can't wait to upgrade the PC in the New Year.

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom