Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter Best Kickstarter RPG

What's the best Kickstarter RPG?

• Total voters

PrettyDeadman

I liked Wasteland 2 the most (the only game in the list i've beaten(except for
Shadowrun Returns which I've beaten too)).

Prime Junta

D:OS, P:E, and SRR were not shit. Of these SRR: Dragonfall was the least flawed, but also the least ambitious. D:OS has good combat but was otherwise play-it-safe-mediocre and lacking in sufficient depth to warrant more than a two playthroughs.

So my favourite is still Pillars. Despite its flaws it's the only one that holds up under multiple play-throughs -- there's enough depth in the character and combat systems there to make them play materially differently, and enough toys to play with to come up with cool builds, parties, and tactics.

Jimmious

Arcane
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Some great games in that list.
I voted D:OS, but PoE is pretty close up there.
That being said, I enjoyed all of these entries to some extent, except Torment (unfortunately) and Shadowrun:Hong Kong (which I simply didn't play yet - dunno why)

Self-Ejected

IncendiaryDevice

Self-Ejected
Village Idiot
You forgot Paper Sorcerer, Legend of Grimrock and probably loads more like Darkest Dungeon etc

passerby

Arcane
If kingcomrade option was "they're all meh", that would be it.

I'm done with kickstarter, that's for sure.

Sneaky Seal

Aurum Dust
Developer
Probably Pillars of Eternity - it got the biggest production value and offeres more for its buck. Many other games are good as well, that is why they were backed in the first palce. Hopefully, we'll joing the list rather soon.

Rev

Arcane
1) PoE
2) D:OS
3) Shadowrun: Hong Kong, although I prefer Dragonfall by far (but it wasn't funded through Kickstarter)

buffalo bill

Arcane
Voted for Serpent in the Staglands, which I think of as a deeply flawed gem: highly ambitious, complex puzzles, pretty graphics (better than PoE for me, but I'm probably odd on that), good writing, unique setting. Mechanically it has issues--though there are gameplay aspects, like no spell limit but casting occupies the caster, or soul stealing, or non-combat spell usage, which I like--and there should be more content in the cities. But to me it still beats these other safe/cartoony/overwrought/bland games.

Rev

Arcane
D:OS has good combat but was otherwise play-it-safe-mediocre and lacking in sufficient depth to warrant more than a two playthroughs.
I wouldn't say that D:OS played it safe outside of combat: it has a great environmental interctivity, a good quest design (especially in Cyseal) that allows you to use the environment in clever ways or your unique talents/abilities/spells to solve quests, which is something that cannot be said of PoE for example (even if I like it better for other reasons), in which you solve quests either by talking or by killing enemies and that's it. The only mediocre thing about D:OS is its story/writing.

Wizfall

Cipher
In term of pure enjoyment Shadowrun Return was the best, i liked almost everything in it and it was great from the beginning to the end. The only drawback was his limited "scope" but in his scope it was first class and could have not been better.

PoE has much bigger scope. i did not like it much at the beginning but after all the patches i find it very good/solid. Still had bad/boring writing/setting though and was too little surprising, not really any "waou moment"but well made.

W2 had scope and "waou moment". Good writing too (but some bad ideas). Unfortunately very bad pacing (should not have split the game in two part that made the game too linear instead of a single one that would have been much more free roaming) and awful camera (killed the game for me latter on).

Kickstarter has been very good overall IMO, especially after the catastrophic dozen years of emptiness we had before and even if no a true masterpiece was created.

YES!

Hi, I'm Roqua
Dumbfuck
I either didn't know or forgot a bunch of those were kickstarted, like Serpents in the Staglands and Dead State and Expeditions. But, I also somehow mixed up Serpents in the Staglands and the Something Hourglass and thought SitS was that game for a while so sometimes low key like items can get mixed up in my head.
Broken Hourglass, maybe. That was abandoned a long time ago.

Yeah, that's it.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom