Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Best of Ageod?

Good day gentlemen,

Just wondering if anyone would like to share their thoughts on the Ageod line of games?

Which of them you like, which of them you don't like, and why?

Or, I could use the phrase from one quality poster "Which Ageod game is better and why?"

In a nutshell, I have played Birth of America and enjoyed it quite a bit, but then didn't bother with any after that, so it basically allows all of their games from BOA onwards for you to wax lyrical on. Hopefully I will form a good idea of any that may be a good buy and pick them up.

If there is an Ageod game you know of which has a rival that covers the same war, but in your opinion is the better game, by all means share that as well.

Trash

Pointing and laughing.
For me personally it's AACW and AJE that stand head and shoulders above the rest. The first one for the massive theater and being the most open-ended (Ageod games often are too limited through scripts for my liking) and AJE because I dig the period, the scenarios are neatly done and the spit and polish the engine has recieved through all the earlier Ageod games.

Speaking of that, I see AJE has a demo now. Will put out a newsitem on tcancer.

Malakal

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
I liked one scenario from RUS (Polish-Soviet war) so I'll say that one. Otherwise their campaigns are often too big for my liking, this one was just perfect in size.

Pride of Nations was a huge disappointment so stay away from that one.

Topher

Cipher
I was thinking about making this exact same topic. Anyway, what was wrong with Pride of Nations?

Burning Bridges

Enviado de meu SM-G3502T usando Tapatalk
For me it's AACW, hands down. Haven't played AJE yet, so I probably agree with everything Trash says. I'm glad that Trash has now joined the AGE train, the number of fans is slow growing here.

I was for a time impressed with RuS, but due to its limitations on a second or third playthrough (scripting), I fell in love with AACW again. It has the most open, massive theatre, it allows to build your army and conduct many different strategies, without interference by the event system (scripted). I hope in the future they make AACW 2 or a really open game again. Something like WW1 would be heaven.

Burning Bridges

I was thinking about making this exact same topic. Anyway, what was wrong with Pride of Nations?

You should try the demo and make your own impression. In my opinion it's slow, cumbersome and overambitious. Also it's comparatively ugly due to engine limitations. Perhaps a true gem in many ways, but you will need a monster computer (and lots of spare time) to really play it to its fullest.

Comte

The game was very buggy on release and runs like crap even on high end systems taking a long time to process turns. Paradox made AGEOD release the game as is and it was a big mistake. The game was not optimized for multi-core machines despite the fact the developers promised it would be. So much potential but I believe the game was too ambitious for the traditional AGEOD system and simply broke down amid all the details. One thing I really liked about it was the colonization system it was much better then Victoria II's. PoN is still a work in progress so it may get better with age but I would avoid it right now.

I guess I'll have to give this AACW business a go. How is Birth of America?

Envoyé depuis mon SGH-T999V avec Tapatalk

Quite a good game. Plenty of French bashing scenarios (or you can try being the French I suppose...), and then the icing of dealing with those American rabble rousers and making them see Imperial wisdom. The engine is quite easy to pick up with a minimum of fuss, and all sorts of strategies can be tried out to varying effects. I recommend it to anyone that likes a little meat on the detail bones without having to worry too much about reading manuals into the wee hours in order to figure out how to move a unit.

ValeVelKal

Arcane
Wars in America is the finest AGEOD game for "quick" playing so far due to the sheer freedom of action. I have no problem playing it again immediately after finishing a game, whereas for the other I wait a little before playing again. This is due to the number of scenarios, which are extremely different in their setting,approach, needed strategy, ... Moreover, it is very strategical due to the size of the map, the distance involved and the relative few numbers of units involved (except American Revolutionnary War).

I used to think RoP was above average, but even choosing different starting scenario after 3 - 4 games with a given side, all the games look like each other since there is no way to implement "alternative strategy" so basically you win over your tactical skill (and not your strategical skill as in other AGEOD games), and if the player are roughly matched in skill, the Austrian WILL win. For this reason, I am playing it less. There is a new scenario in the making though.

AACW... for some reason it is the only one I never played. I have the feeling from the AGEOD forum that 2/5 of the players only play AACW, 2/5 play all games except AACW and only 1/5 plays both. Probably an European / American thing.

RUS is a true masterpiece, but has quite a few bugs and too many events needing a "pre-knowledge" of the game. Also, only the main RCW campaigns got patching / modding mod so far, the Polish Civil War and the German - Soviet war still requrte some patch. The main Red Campaign, once all players know the special event, is really great. If you use Clovis's mod, I can be outstanding (only played it once so far, though).

AJE is going to be another masterpiece, but in a few patch. Right now there are heavy balance problems and killer Legionnary stacks cannot be beaten.

Napoleon.... well... Napoleon just did not work.

So, overall :

WIA
RUS
Probably AJE when balanced
[gap]
RoP
[gap]
[gap]
[gap]
[gap]
[gap]
[gap]
Napoleon

TripJack

Hedonist
So... Pride of Nations is on sale for $2.50 at both GG and Steam. Worth it?

WIsh some of their other stuff would go on sale

L'ennui

Magister
So I played a bit of WiA over the weekend, and it's a really interesting game. That French and Indian war scenario is one tough nut to crack as the French and Indians!

Very nice to see the different strategies you need to use to offset the British doomstacks that periodically arrive, whereas your own reinforcements are few and far between. Indian and Coureurs ambushes ftw!

I even took Philadelphia for a few months before I had to evacuate it by boat. Unfortunately, it was winter so the boats got stuck in ice and everyone ended up dead anyway. :-(

Love the game!

Envoyé depuis mon SGH-T999V avec Tapatalk

KoolNoodles

Arcane
I've played ACW and WiA, and prefer ACW. That's only because of the grand scope and expanded decision making(production of units/factories,laws etc.). WiA is good for some strategic scenarios of various scales, reminds me of all the scenarios you can play in The Operational Art of War, for instance. I thought in some of the smaller scenarios the AI was a bit weak though. Was able to get pretty "decisive" victories on some of the early scenarios as the Indians, something that really should not happen. Still a fun set of scenarios though and pretty good game mechanics. The only somewhat annoying thing about the Revolution scenario are all the events you don't really know about until you have a play or two under your belt, kind of like what people were talking about with RUS.

BlackAdderBG

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex USB, 2014 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker
It looks like I'm the only one that finds RoP to be his favorite.Maybe because it was my first of the ageod games has something to with it and also,love the setting the most .AJE is shaping to be my new favorite with the PoN's decision cards and RoP recruitment system.

Burning Bridges

What does the mod change?

Improved AI is fine, but I suspect there could be lots of complicated events like Kentucky Neutrality that you only understand when you set them off. Quite frankly I am not a big fan of the event system as it is now, often doesn't feel right that every turn you adjust your strategies to scripted events, because during the previous turn the game didn't tell you about jack.

Does the mod introduce more events, less events, or about the same amount?

Don't get me wrong, I like to have events in this game. But the way major developments happen out of the blue can be completely demotivating. Imagine a WW2 game, where the Normandy invasion is triggered by an event in june 1944 - but in the turns before the player isn't even informed that the Allies are planning an invasion. Wouldn't this be something very shitty to play once it was something you did not learn by heart and could expect?

Think that's too far fetched? But it's how the Burgoygne invasion works in WiA. The French expedition also was a pure disaster to play in RUS 1.0 - even bugged. I think (military) events are the weakest parts of the game. Therefore I am a bit cautious to try mods made by history buffs.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom