Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Best OpenXcom mods?

So I got this hankering to play good ol' X-Com, but I really like modding, so... which mods would you guys recommend?
Here's some that got my interest so far:

- Improved Hand Objects Mod - little graphic mod, makes every hand object have their own graphic. No more mind probes that look like grenades!
- Craft Missile Launch Sound - Changes craft missile launch sound. The pew sound is odd.
- [URL='http://openxcom.org/forum/index.php/topic,2180.msg21682.html#msg21682'][ENEMY] Men in Black 4.3 | Cover* 2.3a | Gazer* 1.7 | Anthropod* 1.5 (* Alien) - Mods that add four enemies: Man In Black (who, in case you didn't know, were meant to appear in X-COM), Cover Alien/Waspite (the tentacled alien monster on the cover of the game), Gazer (new alien), Anthropod (the critter from Apoc, aparently, more "testy" than the rest). Made for vanilla rules.- http://openxcom.org/forum/index.php/topic,2007.0.htmlhttp://openxcom.org/forum/index.php/topic,2007.0.html
[UFO MAPS] Luke's Extra UFOs (52 working maps!) [/url] - New extra UFO maps for more map variety. Old UFO maps still remain in-game, nothing is overwritten.
- [STAT TRACKING] Soldier Diaries 1.0 - Tracks soldier stats, like kills in each mission, and even medals.
- Modest Rebalance - Changes some things in order to rebalance them, nothing drastic - mainly craft weaponry and air combat, radars, nation funding
- Psi-Amp LOS Requirement - Changes it to that psi-amp requires Line of Sight, but alien Psi doesn't. This means that your psi requires line of sight, but not the aliens'.
- [ur=[url]http://openxcom.org/forum/index.php/topic,2027.0.htmll][/url][COMPILATION][RESEARCH] FMP Core/Tech Tree part][/url] - A huge compilation of mods, here's the tech tree: http://openxcom.org/forum/index.php?action=dlattach;topic=2027.0;attach=7492
- [SOUND] Weapon Sound Variety - gives every weapon of every class (firearm, laser, plasma) their own sounds, mainly by mixing sounds from many versions of X-Com, like different patches and Amiga. So a laser rifle sounds different from a laser pistol and so on.
- [WEAPON]Alloy Ammo - Allows the research and building of alien alloy ammo for firearms, including the craft cannon.

More feedback about the mods you have used would be appreciated, I'm still thinking what mods to play with.

Norfleet

Wait, no more autocannons? So, what, it's now just all rockets, all the time? What did they do to the autocannon?

kyrub

Augur
My personal favourite is Modest Rebalance, the guy who did it has the same taste for the game as me.

Makes the game harder in the right places and gives you less obvious choices. It reintroduces weight decisions, craft weapon decisions, base placement decisions into the game. I love what he did with radars as well, giving you lot less coverage with large radar and putting more coverage on small array.
The mod makes as little changes as possible, which is a good base for your own modding.

Alienman

Retro-Fascist
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I really have to try FMP, sounds like a totally different game. Does stat-tracking mod work with FMP? I tried the latest version on my playthrough (version 1.0) and it totally screwed up my saves, had to revert to a backup file of the game, but now the old version of stat-tracking does not work either. I'm a bit confused here. That mod is awesome.

Trash

Pointing and laughing.
Still haven't played OpenXcom even though I've been fan of the original UFO: Defense since I bought it at release. This thread is another pointed reminder of why I need to rectify that asap. Had no idea there are so many promising mods out there!

Am I the only one who plays with alien weapon self-destruction? I think it really makes a lot of sense and was one of the best, most logical ideas from nuXCom. It really forces you to play within your funding means rather than getting +300,000 and upwards of extra cash by selling a bucketfull of plasma weapons which you can't even use yet. Sure, you can get weapons from stuns but its not like you will stun a entire ship crew in a mission - I mean, you CAN do that, but that will probably result in piles of dead rookies that will cost a lot of money.

Alien Weapon Self Destruction. Always Nighttime. Final Destination.

I wish there was some alien fragments from destroyed weapons to ease the economic impact and make it less about getting a Small Launcher in the first 2 or 3 missions though.

Trash

Pointing and laughing.
Finally tried openxcom and its many mods and am loving it. Some mods do present problems though. The extra ufo mod adds shitloads of new interiors. Real fun, but due to these designs having lots of stuff in them it also means that even early in the game you get your hands on a lot of alien equipment to sell. The item mod that lets the aliens use all weapons all throughout the game has the same problem. My first mission cost me almost my entire squad but did net me several plasma rifles as well.

Perhaps it's just testament to the balance of the original game but I'll dump out most mods for my next playthrough.

Trash

Pointing and laughing.
Dumped out the extra UFO's and the item mod. Left in mods that improve some parts of gameplay but don't mess with the balance too much.

Goddamn is UFO still awesome.

Vagiel

Augur
I have currently installed open xcom on my tablet and it seems to be working great so far. I think a stylus would be very useful for exact movement.

As for mods I believe they should work OK but I haven't installed any.

Sent from my D5803 using Tapatalk

Falksi

Arcane
Just installed this. Any recomended mods please?

Also, any like to any vids or threds with mod installation instructions? It's not something I've done much of.

Just installed this. Any recomended mods please?

Also, any like to any vids or threds with mod installation instructions? It's not something I've done much of.

Total conversions:
- PirateZ
- The X-COM Files
- Didn't play, but heard good things about Area 51 and From The Apocalypse.
- FMF is also good - its the "predecessor" of X-COM Files, and its feature is that its pretty much the huge community mod, while keeping vanilla things intact. Its X-COM++, with new guns, new ships, new aliens, new buildings, but still using vanilla X-COM as its core.

There's also some more vanilla-friendly mods, but I don't remember any right now

thesheeep

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Piratez is simply awesome.
And I'm now starting a run with The X-COM Files, as it now seems to be somewhat complete (certainly came a long way in the last 1-2 years).

The fact that you start with a 2-man team and you somewhat literally are "Men In Black" already made a great impression on me.
There is also concealment (as in mission where you can only take concealable weapons with you), and who knows what else is waiting further down the line.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom