Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Best rpgs with the best NPC's

Self-Ejected

Atlet

Self-Ejected
Vatnik
I did some research in the matter, but I did not find that discussion developed here yet.

I want to play a new game with great companions and/or with interesting NPCs.

The best games to me that had great npcs were fallout new vegas, arcanum and PST.

You can post newer or older titles, I dont care about that.

PS: Realms of Arkania HD.

Wunderbar

Arcane
awFY7Rs.jpg

laclongquan

Arcane
Non Playable Characters, dawgs! We will contract a bit and exclude the characters that can join our party too.

Vampire the Masquerade Bloodlines with many extremely memorable NPC. Fat Larry for example. Or the unforgettable Velvet Velour who played us like country hick~

Fallout2 got First Citizen Lynnette for one example, Mr Bishop, Lt Horrigan are another. Fallout1 dont have any that is so heavyweight class. okay, Master.

Fallout New Vegas with Joshua Graham. His bandaged form fixing the colt 1917 has a heavy impression.

Witcher got Triss and Yennefer, and Ciri. Actually, Witcher got a series of strong, charismatic female NPC. Most of the sorceress for example.

Torment also got a series of heavyweight class of NPC. Ravel takes the cake, of course, but the imprisoned Angel is good in his short scenes. Deionarra also made 1st impression very effectively.

Baldur's Gate2 got Irenicus and BG1 got Sarevok. Other than that, they got a not-very-memorable line of NPC. Sure, they got a lot compare to much weaker standing games, but compare to Torment, Witcher, or Fallout2?

Anyway, that was just skimming over the top70 list~

Last edited:

Yosharian

Arcane
Not the best RPG ever or anything (although I have a soft spot for it), but:

5RAFGh2.png

HK-47: "Query: Can I kill him now, master? I would like ever so much to crush his neck, just a little. It is a long-time fantasy of mine."
Revan: "Maybe later."
HK-47: "You hear that, meatbag? I will be back!"

Funposter

Arcane
Vivec, Divayth Fyr and Yagrum Bagarn from Morrowind are great since they actually interface with the game's amazing lore. Not much else to recommend from the game in terms of character writing, since the rest of it is pretty shallow.

Vernon Roche in The Witcher 2 is absolutely fantastic, as pointed out previously. Great sort of buddy/bro character that you feel genuinely attached to. He also shows up in the sequel and I found it very difficult to not side with him in his big side quest.

VTMB as pointed out by basically everyone might have the best NPCs in any modern RPG.

The relationships between Jensen and Malik, as well as Pritchard, in Deus Ex: HR are pretty good. Basic, but they hit the right notes and it feels like everybody shares a much tighter bond by the end. Sarif's interactions with you are good too.

Crane

Arcane
Patron
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Wrath
What are the worst RPGs with the best NPCs? And what about the Best RPGs with the worst NPCs?

HarveyBirdman

Arbiter
The top 10 of the Codex's best RPG list. Not going to get any better than that. Also add Witcher games to the mix. Avoid Bioware unless you like playing 6th grade psychologist.

Vivec, Divayth Fyr and Yagrum Bagarn from Morrowind are great since they actually interface with the game's amazing lore. Not much else to recommend from the game in terms of character writing, since the rest of it is pretty shallow.
Dagoth Ur, Crassius Curio, Baladas Demnevanni, and I'm just going to stop here because I'll be looking up the difficult to pronounce names of a billion NPCs.
Virtually every NPC you speak to multiple times in the main quest is awesome.
Virtually every NPC you speak to multiple times in the House faction quests are awesome.
Half the NPCs you can recieve guild quests from are awesome.
And then there are the outliers, like my boy Uncle Sweetshare.

Last edited:

Falksi

Arcane
Deus Ex. Littered with loads of interesting & significant folk.

Witcher 1 & 2 without a doubt. Absolutely choca-block full of fucking fantastic characters throughout.

Lockkaliber

Magister
Patron
Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Apart from some of the ones mentioned above, I think the best example of companion NPC's I've seen in any game are from Mask of the Betrayer. I think Kaelyn the Dove is particularly well executed (and might be my favorite NPC off all time apart from Kreia) but Gann, Okku, Safiya and One-of-many are all great.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom