Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Best rpgs with the best NPC's

Taka-Haradin puolipeikko

Filthy Kalinite
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Bubbles In Memoria
Shadowrun Dragonfall
Star Control 2 (ok. some races practically act as one character)
The Savage Empire and Martian Dreams

Baldur's Gate2 got Irenicus and BG1 got Sarevok. Other than that, they got a not-very-memorable line of NPC.

Baldur's Gate 1 has less for sure, but that's not the say there weren't interesting ones. The issue with that game is that the quests were low-key, so not many NPCs stuck around. Even still, there were several that had some personality. The crazy Dradeel on the werewolf island, Noober in Nashkel, and of course Oompha-the-exploding-ogre! certainly comes to mind. In Baldur's Gate 2 we got Irenicus, yes, but we also got Bodhi, Saemon Havarian, Spectator (the beholder), "Yak-man", Cespernar, and Gromnir.

I'm surprised I haven't read anyone here mention Alpha Protocol. Every single NPC was excellent.

laclongquan

Arcane
Baldur's Gate2 got Irenicus and BG1 got Sarevok. Other than that, they got a not-very-memorable line of NPC.

Baldur's Gate 1 has less for sure, but that's not the say there weren't interesting ones. The issue with that game is that the quests were low-key, so not many NPCs stuck around. Even still, there were several that had some personality. The crazy Dradeel on the werewolf island, Noober in Nashkel, and of course Oompha-the-exploding-ogre! certainly comes to mind. In Baldur's Gate 2 we got Irenicus, yes, but we also got Bodhi, Saemon Havarian, Spectator (the beholder), "Yak-man", Cespernar, and Gromnir.
You just made my point~. Those lineups work well against lesser games' lineups. Coming up against the likes of Torment, Fallout1/2, and Bloodlines they are not so very impressive any more, innit?

Deleted Member 16721

Anachronox, very underrated choice, but it's not so much the NPCs as it is the lovable, hilarious party companions.

You just made my point~. Those lineups work well against lesser games' lineups. Coming up against the likes of Torment, Fallout1/2, and Bloodlines they are not so very impressive any more, innit?

I suppose. I will concede the argument, particularly for BG1. I'd say the names I gave for BG2 are on par, but suffer comparatively to Fallout & Bloodlines only because they didn't have an entire screen dedicated to their face nor voice acting. Several didn't even have a portrait. That their personality was still so strong says a great deal about their quality.

Anachronox, very underrated choice, but it's not so much the NPCs as it is the lovable, hilarious party companions.

Anachronox is an excellent mention! The characters in the game are just fantastic. Too bad it had all of that JRPG game play though. It could have been so much more.

sakekosan

Novice

Knights Of The Old Republic 2. It has some of the most memorable companions and one of the best writing seen for SW universe or rpg's and games in general. Written by the same guy who wrote Planescape. To me this game and PT are equal. Be sure to patch it with the restoration project mod first.

Last edited:
Self-Ejected

IncendiaryDevice

Self-Ejected
Village Idiot
Hordes of the Underdark

I was browsing my old screenies today, having a big sort out and clean-up & found a bunch of screenies from my last Hordes run. I went solo that time, so no companion pics, but for some reason I took screenies of these fun characters, of whom represent but a tiny fraction of the fun folk you can meet:

Here we have a close-up of myself in the centre with a random Drow NPC walking past & in the background the hyper-cool ferryman, who will take you places... :

YDkTSH9.png

Next up and all isn't right in the land of angels, why is a crippled fool sitting on the throne??? :

LqM1FjK.png

This Slaad has penguin powers! :

8TBImOo.png

A mimic likes the look of me, well, my clothes anyway, it's had the lot, the cheeky monkey treasure chest. "Me Like Gem! *fzoom*" :

sNpOvRm.png

Having a moment away from them all, just chillin' in a random great hall on a bench:

L9UpSnY.png

(I love how this game can zoom so close and so far)

Incendax

Augur
Many games have one or two good NPCs. But if you want lots of good NPCs at a rapid encounter pace?

Vampire: Bloodlines.
KOTOR 1-2.
Witcher 2-3.
Deus Ex.
Original Sin 2.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom