Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

NSFW Best Thread Ever [No SJW-related posts allowed]

sbb

Learned
BtUcCFXIEAEamIt.jpg
Interesting that they took the time to make cartoon versions of the US characters instead of the actual characters. Sort of invalidates their point or something along those lines?

Astral Rag

Arcane
From his previous CYBERMATRIX 100 kickstarter:

Pledge $1,500 or more

0 backers

for this amount, i'll make sure my cybermatrix gets patented and once invention home prototypes my console, and i release the prototype to microsoft, they'll mass produce the console and i'll notify microsoft to send you the console for free.

:troll:

Last edited:

Lemming42

Arcane
tumblr_mlbpp80mkU1re1sgdo1_500.jpg

Unbelievable.

tumblr_ml0zuzauNq1re1sgdo1_500.png

6 years late, something everyone already knew, something that isn't that interesting in the first place, and yet they felt the need to report it.

Also, does it count as a "silent protagonist" if you actually do speak to people, only unvoiced? Actually, who cares.

tumblr_mh23ppLWww1re1sgdo1_1280.png

Yeah, fuck it, don't even try to hide the behind-the-scenes payoffs.

tumblr_mbmrdrDgjW1re1sgdo1_500.png

gaming news

tumblr_mqeeppI7lt1re1sgdo1_500.png

Skyrim is the best game of all time.

tumblr_mkr4lpRp2L1re1sgdo1_500.jpg

Citizen Kane

More at http://loltaku.tumblr.com/

WhiskeyWolf

RPG Codex Polish Car Thief
Staff Member
I guess they decided to stop being dirty bastards about milking their customers.

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy

Holy shit i remember this game :D. I played it a loooong time ago on Amiga. It was a simple, fun action game. The part where your char screams while going in the air (towards your monitor) is what jogged my memory, what a memorable death effect in a game.

The Rick Dangerous games did that as well. It's a nice enough touch that people remember stuff like that 20+ years afterwards.

Dr Tomo

Learned
Adam Cancelled Rust Development
by Garry Newman | Jul 28, 2014 | Uncategorized | 131 comments
1406536862.png

1406536907.png

1406536934.png

1406536946.png

1406536969.png

So.. yikes!

Are we crazy? Are we doing it wrong? Should every person in the company be working on the same thing? Should HBO make one TV show at a time? Should Warner Brothers make one movie at a time?

I think it’s probably fair to say that like the majority of internet commentators these guys probably read the headline, looked at the pictures, then posted their comments. Will people actually read this text or will they need to register their outrage at the title immediately?

Prototypes
Assuming they read the full post and got all the information and are still angry.. they are probably going to be even angrier to find out that we have three other prototypes being worked on by Facepunch staff.

And guess what, we haven’t finished Rust, and we haven’t finished Rift-Light, and we haven’t finished those three other prototypes.. and we want to hire more programmers to start even more prototypes.

Strategy
Our strategy at the moment is to hire talented people to make the games they want to play. We’re not asking you to fund this. We’re not starting a kickstarter and begging you for money – we’re funding it.

We are spending money Rust and Garry’s Mod make to do this. Arguing that we should be re-investing that money back into only those games is like telling apple they can’t spend the money they made from iPhone and Macs to fund the development of the iPad. Keep in mind that we spent money Garry’s Mod made to develop Rust – and that turned out pretty good, right? Or should Helk and Pat have been working on Garry’s Mod all that time?

I think a good company develops continually, and the more things we’re working on the better. I think this strategy is working out for us so far.

Rust
There were a few things that kind of irked me in the comments about Rust. A lot of people said we gave up on Rust, and aren’t updating it anymore. Rust is getting updates very regularly. We even set up a twitter account that live posts when we commit new stuff. We are very transparent about that. I fully accept that this is our fault for not communicating the experimental branch properly, but it hurts when we’re working all week on it and people don’t acknowledge that.

Secondly the whole funding thing. People aren’t going to like my views on this. Some commenters have expressed their feelings that they ‘funded’ Rust and we’re running off with the money. None of this sentence is true. We funded Rust for 1-2 years before it eventually became what it is. You bought early access to it. When you buy a pizza you aren’t funding Dominos, you’re just buying a pizza. It’s true that the sales of Rust have been insane and we have stepped up development to suit, and I think you only have to compare the experimental version to the live version to see that.

Thirdly – the people who work on Rust are working on Rust. They’re not working on prototypes. That should be very obvious by the dev-blogs we post every friday.
Open Development
I guess this is one of the issues we’re going to face with open development.

I am guessing that a lot of game developers bigger and smaller than us have multiple prototypes in the works, but they aren’t showing them to you. The only thing that makes our situation remarkable is that we’re willing to talk about our process and show our experiments.

This is a hot issue on reddit apparently a lot of people are super pissed over the updates. I don't think Facepunch is going to last that long at this rate? It seems like people are going to tire of this early access thing real fast.

*source: More comments posted these are just the first couple

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom