Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

NSFW Best Thread Ever [No SJW-related posts allowed]

Codex warning: Contains high levels of autism.

Some extreme form of autism perhaps, though it could be worse. Halfway through the kid sounded like he was having seizures, gasping for air to show off his TS. Still, had to chuckle in dismay at the video and this backstory in the comments made it even more entertaining:

The kid was going into forums and asking people to play with him. When they did he caught them in a trap they couldn't get out of. Took their stuff and killed them. The fucked up part is that he kept their heads on the wall :50 and had more stored in the chests the admin broke apart.

:lol:

Basically, kid should have gone to college and gone into real estate and got himself an aquarium, that's what he should have done.

That's hilarious. Kid did nothing wrong except for the whole talking to people online thing.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
It looks like Naughty Dog used Assassin's Creed artwork for the new Uncharted 4 trailer

Naughty Dog's new Uncharted 4 trailer includes what looks like artwork from Assassin's Creed 4: Black Flag.

The image was spotted by Ubisoft Montreal employee Azaïzia Aymar, who works as Assassin's Creed's head of content. So you'd think he would know what he was talking about.

"I get the 'thief' title now!" Aymar wrote.

Take a look at the painting in today's Uncharted 4 trailer, hanging on hero Nathan Drake's wall at the 1:37 mark.

it-looks-like-naughty-dog-used-assassins-creed-artwork-in-the-new-uncharted-4-trailer-145633060209.gif

Now compare it to this piece of concept art for Assassin's Creed 4: Black Flag.

jpg

The version in Naughty Dog's trailer lacks the pirate figure seen on the painting's beach. Apart from that, though? Here it is straightened out and brightened:

jpg

Drake is seen staring at the painting as the shot fades into what looks like a version of the location - or at least, an area whose shoreline looks the same, but without Ubisoft's mountains behind - created in 3D.

It will be interesting to see whether the asset or location is changed for the final release of Uncharted 4: A Thief's End.

Naughty Dog fans have previously suggested the studio took inspiration for The Last of Us' Ellie from actress Ellen Page, and likewise for Helen Mirren and Jason Statham for characters in Uncharted 3.

Then there was the time Naughty Dog had to apologise to a cartographer after he spotted his copyrighted map in The Last of Us.

lightbane

Arcane
I miss the days Naughty Dog made Jax and Daxter... But then I remember the times we live in and I'm glad they have been forgotten. Nowadays they would have been stuffed with next-gen popamole health regeneration system, cover-shooting, people looking like overtly muscled freaks, DLCs, blatantly cut and sold separatedly "extended epilogues" and worse.

Self-Ejected

an Administrator

Self-Ejected
Where expecting basics is considered perfectionism

I'll just restate the warning from the start of the video:

The following video is a disturbing piece of documented evidence of people with mental conditions. This video contains strong language and loud squealing noises.

Codex warning: Contains high levels of autism.

PeachPlumage Add this kid to our LIST.

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014

In our eagerness to get the story trailer out we made a regrettable mistake and didn’t thoroughly vet the art work used for an in game painting.We’ve already updated the trailer. We hold all artistry in high regard and take full responsibility for having allowed this to happen.

We want to sincerely apologize to everyone at Ubisoft, the Assassin’s Creed team, the original artist, and our fans.

Naughty Dog

That was quick.

I miss the days Naughty Dog made Jax and Daxter... But then I remember the times we live in and I'm glad they have been forgotten. Nowadays they would have been stuffed with next-gen popamole health regeneration system, cover-shooting, people looking like overtly muscled freaks, DLCs, blatantly cut and sold separatedly "extended epilogues" and worse.

Yeah, I liked them when they made Crash Bandicoot and Jak games. :(

Anthony Davis

Blizzard Entertainment
Developer
How does something like that even happen?

Are you being rhetorical, or do you really want to know? I guarantee it wasn't malicious or intentional.

No matter what their official answer is, here is the truth and it has happened to almost EVERYONE in the biz.

Some junior level artist got a task to create a prop for a painting. MAYBE he/she was told what it should be a painting of, an actual description - maybe there is just a standing art direction to make it "adventure" themed or something. Remember, these guys and gals aren't lawyers - they're artists - and in many cases, artists that are learning their craft (aka juniors or interns). Believe me, you don't have seniors making prop paintings.

So the artist builds the frame or whatever, then they need something to put into it. The search Google for something. If the image isn't obviously copy-righted, and it fits what they are looking for, they use it. Sometimes they PS it or modify it - but usually just to adjust for color and whatever.

The lead artist or the technical artist should be doing an art review of anything submitted, especially from juniors and interns, but the volume of work done for a game like Uncharted 4 has to be staggering, and stuff will get missed. This might have even been looked at, but even then unless the person doing the review was intimately familiar with Ass Creed Black Flag, they probably would have still missed it.

This happens all the time - and the internet of course, is always hungry for a story and for drama.

ps.
Occasionally... OCCASIONALLY - you get an artist trying to be clever. For example, maybe they were a super fan and they want to put a tribute in to their favorite game, so they slip something in as tribute. Sometimes programmers do it... for example at one point, every portrait in NWN2 was a random portrait of Morgan Webb. Why? Cause I think she's hot, that's why I did it - and I needed a portrait for the system to work.

Anyway, Uncharted 4 looks awesome, I look forward to it.

Last edited:

Astral Rag

Arcane
Disgraced senator who campaigned against violent video games jailed
Leland Yee guilty of corruption and gun-running charges.

By Tom Phillips Published 25/02/2016

disgraced-senator-who-campaigned-against-violent-video-games-jailed-145640071083.jpg

Former US State Senator Leland Yee has been sentenced to five years in prison on charges of corruption and weapon smuggling.

You may remember Yee as being a vocal opponent of video game violence - he campaigned for tighter restrictions around the sale of games and a state-backed ratings board to replace the current US-wide ESRB.

Yee admitted political corruption charges - accepting bribes for favours - and involvement in a never-completed plan to smuggle guns into the US from the Philippines.

The shamed ex-senator had served 25 years in office as a Democratic representative for California. In office, he had campaigned for better US gun control.

When arrested, Yee had been attempting to raise funds for his bid to become California's secretary of state, and to pay off debts from a failed mayoral campaign before that.

Yee's trial is part of a far wider FBI investigation into the San Francisco-based Chee Kung Tong group. Outwardly a community organisation for Chinese American interests, its leader Raymond "Shrimp Boy" Chow and 28 others are now being investigated on charges of organised crime.

"Shrimp Boy" was jailed last month for murder and other mob-related crimes.

Yee was originally due to face other charges - of participating in racketeering, selling guns without a license and agreeing to join a murder-for-hire plot suggested by an undercover FBI agent, CBS reported. These charges were dropped when Yee plead guilty to corruption.

"I don't feel I can be lenient," US District Judge Charles Breyer told Yee. "The crimes you have committed were essentially an attack on a democratic institution.

"You did it for money for the perpetuation of power. That to me is the most venal thing."

Game over.

:lol:

Last edited:
TF2 is one thing. Getting pushed into servers with 12-year old french speaking children completely ruined my GTA5 experience. Well, that and the game being mediocre to begin with.

Alienman

Retro-Fascist
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
That is why multiplayer is dead to me :)

(except co-op)

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom