Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

NSFW Best Thread Ever [No SJW-related posts allowed]

Self-Ejected

Excidium II

Self-Ejected
How do these games even get on steam? I can see them being random flash games on the internet, but on Steam? Have we no standards?
Probably people from a forum spamming votes on greenlight or smth.

Baron Dupek

Arcane
VR has no games already!
ruckusridgepromo4.png

http://store.steampowered.com/app/443800/

:mrpresident:
can shoot nerds

lightbane

Arcane
Epileptics, BE CAREFUL WITH THE FOLLOWING VIDEO: *

Reminds me of these old shareware games that came in CDs and such. In fact, some of these may be even fun.

*Contrary to what one may believe, this video and the bundle has nothing to do with piracy. These games are 100% free and probably even DRM-free.

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014

It's been removed.

That's enough, guys

Please stop attacking Valve for putting this game on steam, they've done nothing wrong. I'll explain what happened on /r/pcmasterrace as soon as I'm able to.

Just to clear somethings up though: the game will not be sold (and never was planned on being sold), did not go through a typical process of getting on steam and will be removed. I wanted it to come up with a big "coming April 1st!" box and to tease everyone but people just seem really mad (and fairly so). Valve are not responsible for this and it was poking a bit of fun at some quality of submissions we see on green light. I will also more than likely release the game you would've got for free too.

For now though, happy paint watching fellow dryers
oppa

http://steamcommunity.com/app/445730/discussions/0/385429254945854647/

:hmmm:

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Wait a minute...it wasn't Greenlight! http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2...ed-after-watch-paint-dry-sim-snuck-onto-store

Steam loophole closed after coder sneaks Watch Paint Dry onto store

Valve has shut down an exploit which allowed games to be released on Steam without any kind of verification.

jpg

Aware of the loophole, a coder decided to raise awareness of the weakness by creating their own game to upload - a simulation named Watch Paint Dry.

And it worked - Steam users were aghast on Sunday night when Watch Paint Dry was indeed listed, with a description suggesting it was exactly what it said on the tin - a game where you... watched paint drying.

There were calls for Valve to adjust quality control - not that the game had ever passed Valve's official channels.

Watch Paint Dry's listing is instead the work of Manchester-based coder rubiimeow, who has owned up to the stunt now Valve has closed the loophole.

There's a detailed description online showing the method rubiimeow used, although the impressive parts are how manipulable Valve's approval backend was.

Getting the game set to "released" and making sure other necessary additions were approved - such as the game's Trading Cards - were all achieved by editing various values for the app in Valve's internal database.

"I decided to use the 'untitled app' for an April Fools prank to try and get Valve's attention about the issues," Ruby wrote. "I have been in contact with Valve who have now fixed the vulnerability.

"Something I've definitely learned from doing this is when working with user-generated content that first needs to be approved, do not have 'Review Ready' and 'Reviewed' as two states of existence for the content.

"Or just don't allow users to set the item to 'Released'."

Watch Paint Dry has now been removed from Steam, although Google's cache of its store page is still available.

"Watch paint dry is a sports-puzzle game that evolves around one mysterious cutscene," its listing read. "Bringing in innovative gameplay and requiring high attention to detail, Watch paint dry is a must play for anyone who enjoys mystery ARG-type games.

"Without spoiling much, here's a quick overview of what you can expect: paint drying, a competitive sports-like element, the same scene over and over again, but something changes every time (maybe), a thrilling story (wouldn't recommend for anyone 12 or under)."

And here's a screenshot:

steam-loophole-closed-after-watch-paint-dry-sim-snuck-onto-store-14592646355.jpg

Grimlorn

Arcane
Can't believe that's a real military outfit. She looks like she's cosplaying in a homemade outfit.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom