Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

NSFW Best Thread Ever [No SJW-related posts allowed]

Viata

Arcane

Delterius

Arcane

Sodafish

Arcane
yB5NJHm.jpg

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth

Riskbreaker

One wonders, why is it that you must monitor Steam accounts of our membership? What obscure knowledge do you gleam from them, what deeper mysteries spread their ebony thighs for you when your knowledge of Kabbalah and Higher Calculus is applied to those average Skyrim playtimes?
Not all knowledge is meant for you, child of Zion.

Caim

Arcane
Love the Cliff Racer sounds on the TIE Fighters.

But where does the rocky grinding sound patched over them moving their turrets come from?

Naveen

Arcane
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Love the Cliff Racer sounds on the TIE Fighters.

But where does the rocky grinding sound patched over them moving their turrets come from?

I think it's the sound when opening certain area-transition doors (Daedra or Dwemer ruins)

Sodafish

Arcane
WTF 3 grand for 5 mb? The equivalent storage in floppies probbaly cost no more than 100 dorra at the time.

Kutulu

Arcane
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex
WTF 3 grand for 5 mb? The equivalent storage in floppies probbaly cost no more than 100 dorra at the time.

5,25" floppy disks did hold 100KB of data at the time, this was before high density and 3,5 drives. A Box of 10 did cost 40-70$ at radio shack & the drives where anywhere from 300-1000$.

Sodafish

Arcane
Still a hell of a lot cheaper, even at the high end of those costs. Still, I guess you were paying for the novelty of the hardware more than anything. I mean the 10 mb one is only 500 more after all.

tuluse

Arcane
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Still a hell of a lot cheaper, even at the high end of those costs. Still, I guess you were paying for the novelty of the hardware more than anything. I mean the 10 mb one is only 500 more after all.
You wait until you try to play a game that uses 8 floppy disks and you get to disk 6 which is corrupted and see you feel about cheaper floppies at that point.

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy
You have to try to place yourself in 1981 to see it all in perspective.

In 1981 8" floppies were still a thing, but quickly being phased out by the 5.25" floppy. The former had storage capacity from 90 Kb up to 1.2 Mb, but that amount of data on one disk was deemed "unncessesary". The 5.25" floppies, on the other hand, started with 320 Kb (which sometimes was distributed on each side of the floppy) and went as high as 1.2 Mb as well, though that wasn't really a thing until the late 1980s. (Games and software needing 6 floppies was also not really a thing until the late 1980s, and most of the time they were on so many floppies for the sake of backwards compatibility. Remember, more than 95% of PC games made in 1989 could be booted up on the original IBM PC released in 1981.)

This, of course, assumes that all floppies were equal across all platforms. Wrong. Each computer platform not only had a different format layout for their floppies, but also a different OS to read them, meaning that sometimes you couldn't tell for sure what computer a floppy was being used on. So in, say a company with 100 employees that relied upon computers, it could be a full-time job just keeping track of all those floppies...and more importantly, replacing them, as they were flimsy as fuck and very prone to data loss.

Meanwhile hard drives had been a thing for 25 years, with the first 5 Mb hard drive ever made being the size of a closet and about half the weight of Poland. Yet people immediately saw the benefits of having hard drives, but the problem was getting them small enough to fit into a personal computer. That drive shown in the ad is one of the first models for personal computers and a monster even by 1990s standards, but it worked and it replaced a literal army of floppies, probably twice its total storage capacity.

I'd be willing to bet that despite the initial cost, a hard drive would have paid itself off in the long run at the very least.

Last edited:

Sodafish

Arcane
You wait until you try to play a game that uses 8 floppy disks and you get to disk 6 which is corrupted and see you feel about cheaper floppies at that point.

Oh I remember that well. Also tape loaders that would get to 4:30 of a 5 min load and crash... those were the days.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom