Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

NSFW Best Thread Ever [No SJW-related posts allowed]

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2...m-subscribers-pledges-to-delete-channel-today

Pewdiepie hits 50m subscribers, claims he'll delete channel today

Pewdiepie, YouTube's most subscribed channel owner and by far its biggest gaming star, last night became the first to ever hit 50m subscriber milestone.

He's also pledged to delete his channel at 5pm today, and start afresh.

The internet has mixed opinions on Pewdiepie - aka 27-year-old Felix Kjellberg. On the one hand, it has given him legions of fans, who flocked to his YouTube channel in its early years to see him gurn and react wildly to horror games.

But, on the other, the internet has also cast Pewdiepie - rightly or wrongly - as the figurehead of YouTubers. Media reports often use his name as a synonym when writing about gaming YouTubers in general.

This is why the media has fingered him in some of the platform's biggest controversies - such as channel owners secretly running gambling sites and encouraging their young followers to hand over cash for a chance at gaming skins - just because he is the platform's most recognisable face.

Kjellberg founded the Pewdiepie channel back in 2010 when he was 21. It's fair to say he's matured over the past six years - especially as he has weathered the media attention that has come with his rising status - and now regularly vlogs about the recent changes to YouTube's algorithms which are affecting smaller channels.

Videos from the past few weeks have tackled YouTube's refusal to acknowledge or improve a number of issues plaguing the platform, such as viewers getting unsubscribed from channels, YouTube making it harder for viewers to find channels they are still subscribed to, and an influx of "clickbait" videos in YouTube's right-hand Up Next column sorted by those with a higher clickthrough rate.

It's easy to see why Pewdiepie's huge follower count may not all be interested in such topics - and why starting a new channel might act as a way to refocus.

Meanwhile, the most recent round of media articles about Pewdiepie, written after he announced his decision to delete his channel, have upped the backlash against him to new heights.

His video responding to the most recent media claims about him is worth a watch:

Should Pewdiepie delete his existing channel as promised, his replacement channel will have a far, far smaller subscriber count. To put it in perspective - no one else is even close to matching the 50m mark. But Kjellberg has been upfront about the fact he no longer needs the money his channel brings.

Of course, the announcement of his channel's impending deletion has generated a huge amount of publicity. And, naturally, a large number of Pewdiepie's active subscribers will simply resubscribe immediately.

Perhaps a new start is a good thing, though. Pewdiepie's videos on YouTube changes highlight topics well worth tackling, even if they aren't issues which interest Pewdiepie's hardcore gamer followers. It's something Kjellberg has discussed - many of his subscribers tell him they miss the old Pewdiepie. He was funnier, they say.

Whatever happens today, it feels like YouTube's biggest channel has already changed.

Siel

Arcane
Patron
rt3wxKB.jpg

:negative:

I like how even the worst predictions of /v/ couldn't see the "gun covers half the screen" bullshit coming. Truly the FPS industry is full of innovators.

Also calling Gearbox a AAA dev is a bit much.

pippin

Circa 2008-9 Borderlands was EVERYWHERE. And I do mean EVERYWHERE. Every gaming place, internet cafe or whatever in my city had at least one of those images with the guy with his fingers against his temple.

Circa 2008-9 Borderlands was EVERYWHERE. And I do mean EVERYWHERE. Every gaming place, internet cafe or whatever in my city had at least one of those images with the guy with his fingers against his temple.

Yeah, but Borderlands was a 2 game series before it declined. It's not a too big to fail series that prints money like CoD/Assassin's Creed/yearly sports games/etc, and Gearbox clearly isn't a big enough name that they can expect sales just because something is from them, as evidenced by Battleborn's failure (especially as opposed to Blizzard which clearly is an AAA studio). I'd put them at AA at best, same as Obsidian. New Vegas was a AAA-tier game too but that doesn't make Obsidian a AAA developer, they are much more niche.

Deleted member 7219

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2...m-subscribers-pledges-to-delete-channel-today

Pewdiepie hits 50m subscribers, claims he'll delete channel today

Pewdiepie, YouTube's most subscribed channel owner and by far its biggest gaming star, last night became the first to ever hit 50m subscriber milestone.

He's also pledged to delete his channel at 5pm today, and start afresh.

The internet has mixed opinions on Pewdiepie - aka 27-year-old Felix Kjellberg. On the one hand, it has given him legions of fans, who flocked to his YouTube channel in its early years to see him gurn and react wildly to horror games.

But, on the other, the internet has also cast Pewdiepie - rightly or wrongly - as the figurehead of YouTubers. Media reports often use his name as a synonym when writing about gaming YouTubers in general.

This is why the media has fingered him in some of the platform's biggest controversies - such as channel owners secretly running gambling sites and encouraging their young followers to hand over cash for a chance at gaming skins - just because he is the platform's most recognisable face.

Kjellberg founded the Pewdiepie channel back in 2010 when he was 21. It's fair to say he's matured over the past six years - especially as he has weathered the media attention that has come with his rising status - and now regularly vlogs about the recent changes to YouTube's algorithms which are affecting smaller channels.

Videos from the past few weeks have tackled YouTube's refusal to acknowledge or improve a number of issues plaguing the platform, such as viewers getting unsubscribed from channels, YouTube making it harder for viewers to find channels they are still subscribed to, and an influx of "clickbait" videos in YouTube's right-hand Up Next column sorted by those with a higher clickthrough rate.

It's easy to see why Pewdiepie's huge follower count may not all be interested in such topics - and why starting a new channel might act as a way to refocus.

Meanwhile, the most recent round of media articles about Pewdiepie, written after he announced his decision to delete his channel, have upped the backlash against him to new heights.

His video responding to the most recent media claims about him is worth a watch:

Should Pewdiepie delete his existing channel as promised, his replacement channel will have a far, far smaller subscriber count. To put it in perspective - no one else is even close to matching the 50m mark. But Kjellberg has been upfront about the fact he no longer needs the money his channel brings.

Of course, the announcement of his channel's impending deletion has generated a huge amount of publicity. And, naturally, a large number of Pewdiepie's active subscribers will simply resubscribe immediately.

Perhaps a new start is a good thing, though. Pewdiepie's videos on YouTube changes highlight topics well worth tackling, even if they aren't issues which interest Pewdiepie's hardcore gamer followers. It's something Kjellberg has discussed - many of his subscribers tell him they miss the old Pewdiepie. He was funnier, they say.

Whatever happens today, it feels like YouTube's biggest channel has already changed.

So, he deleted his other channel and claimed it was all a joke.

The thing is, Pewdiepie actually comes across as a likeable guy, and he's got a good camera persona. If only he didn't act like a complete retard in 99% of his videos.

Astral Rag

Arcane
California man spent $1 million playing Game of War
Mobile game described as "like gambling, but with no possibility of winning."
David Kravets - 12/9/2016, 10:01 PM

bvAv9xH.jpg

TIDBjMg.jpg

A 45-year-old California man pleaded guilty in federal court Thursday to ripping off $4.8 million from his employer. Notably, the man admitted to spending $1 million of that bonanza on Game of War.

The mobile-phone game is developed by Machine Zone and heavily advertised by model Kate Upton. It's one of the top-grossing mobile games in the world, according to Adweek. And now we know why, at least in part.

Kevin Lee Co admitted in Sacramento federal court that,from May 2008 to March 2015, he embezzled nearly $5 million from his controller job at a heavy-equipment company called Holt California. He admitted in his guilty plea (PDF) to spending "approximately $1 million" on Game of War. He also admitted to getting plastic surgery and buying season tickets to the San Francisco 49ers and the Sacramento Kings. The record also showed Co bought "luxury cars" and a golf club membership.

We've read reports about players spending thousands of dollars on Game of War, which bills itself as "the world's largest multiplayer strategy game." It's raking in more than $1 million daily, but we've never seen a personal tab this high to date.

The strategy game sees players building empires with soldiers and attacking other players who are doing the same. The deeper you go, the more likely you'll shell out cash. VentureBeat said that Game of War's paying players spent an average of $550 on the game last year:

"A $550 annual average is insane, but Machine Zone has definitely mastered certain aspects of getting people with a lot of money to part with huge chunks of it. A big part of this, as analytics firm ThinkGaming points out, is that Game of War has a lot of depth for big spenders. The app has a multitude of systems that players need to engage with to ensure they have an army prepared for the next big multiplayer battle. But those systems are slow, and players can speed them up by spending cash. Of course, a lot of games do stuff like this, and part of Machine Zone’s success is that other studios haven’t figured out how to duplicate its money-making techniques. It’s also likely that Game of War has a disproportionate number of whales compared to those people who put just a few dollars in. The game heavily favors big spenders, and the top whales are a hundredfold more powerful than the common player who puts little or no cash into Game of War."

Cracked, meanwhile, did a piece last year entitled "5 Reasons I lost $9,000 On An iPhone Game." One reason is that players don't get to keep what they buy in Game of War.

"But, here, you're spending money on troops and other expendables that can be lost in combat. I was casually browsing the map at work recently and came across a guy who must have spent at least 7,000 Euros. He wasn't around to defend himself, so we attacked. We wiped out about 2,500 Euros. Two-and-a-half grand, gone in five minutes," according to Cracked. "It's like gambling, but with no possibility of winning."

For Co, the convicted embezzler, money was no object with Games of War. After all, he was gambling with his employer's money in additional ways. Co now faces a maximum 20-year term when sentenced in May.

Last edited:

Gerrard

Arcane

Yeah, but Borderlands was a 2 game series before it declined.
But Boredomlands 2 was already decline from the first one. And really, you could've seen that coming considering how creatively bankrupt they were in terms of making fifty bajilion guns that all worked the same.

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
"But, here, you're spending money on troops and other expendables that can be lost in combat. I was casually browsing the map at work recently and came across a guy who must have spent at least 7,000 Euros. He wasn't around to defend himself, so we attacked. We wiped out about 2,500 Euros. Two-and-a-half grand, gone in five minutes," according to Cracked. "It's like gambling, but with no possibility of winning."

Who the fuck pays for shit like that? Seriously? Even if I were a trillionaire I'd consider this an absolute waste of money. These games aren't even fun.

For that amount of cash you can buy Steam copies of Dominions 4 and all the Total War games ever (including DLC) for all of your friends - or, heck, even just a large amount of random people - and play multiplayer strategy matches against them, and it'll be ten times more fun than those shitty mobile/browser games with pay to win.

You have to be an absolute and total retard to spend that much money on shitty pay to win games like this.
Okay, so maybe this is about status and feeling powerful or something, rather than having fun. "Ha ha, my e-penis is bigger than yours because I have a bigger army in this game".
Yeah well, for that money you could also get yourself a designer suit, a solid car, and a bunch of hookers, which will actually make you appear like having a real social status, much more than having a big army in some shit-tier mobile game does.

WHY THE FUCK DOES ANYONE PAY MONEY FOR THIS?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom