Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

NSFW Best Thread Ever [No SJW-related posts allowed]

Levski 1912

Scholar
I'd like to disagree about the story part- I don't think you can really compare PS:T's dialog and story to Oblivion's. Oblivion isn't very original, either- it's just the regular Tolkienesque high fantasy.

Levski 1912

Scholar
Oh my bad, I misread your post. Morrowind did indeed deviate in a positive way in the setting and atmosphere department thanks to the oddness of the Telvanni- but any storyline that involves "saving the world" automatically causes me to lose interest.

Evilhyde

Novice
http://www.elderscrolls.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=468346

Ok I notice a lot of whining about spears being taken out in oblivion.

So I'm playing morrowind and tried it out. Its basically just a two handed weapon that does a lot of thrusting damage.

So how does the spear translate into a better combat experience or gameplay experience? am I missing something here? in fact in morrowind, spears didn't even give you a range advantage - as in you can attack from further away since you have a long reaching weapon effectively keeping your enemy at bay. of course, the whole notion of range on meelee weapons is completely missing in morrowind due to a piss poor combat system) so they added nothing to the game for me. just a different attack animation and graphic.

whoop tee doo.

i haven't tried crossbows yet, but if spears were any indication, they are gonna be EXACTLY like bows, just with yet another different animation and graphic. oh and different ammo. LOL.

Lumpy

Arcane
Evilhyde said:

So I'm playing morrowind and tried it out. Its basically just a two handed weapon that does a lot of thrusting damage.

So how does the spear translate into a better combat experience or gameplay experience? am I missing something here? in fact in morrowind, spears didn't even give you a range advantage - as in you can attack from further away since you have a long reaching weapon effectively keeping your enemy at bay. of course, the whole notion of range on meelee weapons is completely missing in morrowind due to a piss poor combat system) so they added nothing to the game for me. just a different attack animation and graphic.

whoop tee doo.

i haven't tried crossbows yet, but if spears were any indication, they are gonna be EXACTLY like bows, just with yet another different animation and graphic. oh and different ammo. LOL.
And... how is he wrong?

Kraszu

Prophet
Lumpy said:
Evilhyde said:

whoop tee doo.

And... how is he wrong?

Sucky combat in morrowind =/= spears are usless and change nothing.

galsiah

Erudite
Lumpy said:
Evilhyde said:
In fact in morrowind, spears didn't even give you a range advantage
And... how is he wrong?
Well the above is not true in any case. The range advantage might not have made any significant difference, but it was there.

As to the removal of spears from Oblivion, personally it hardly bothers me at all - I'd have thought there were many more important things to complain about. The only way it bothers me is through the motivation behind it - i.e. fun-FPS-play >>> convincing-world. Such thinking doesn't bode well for the rest of the game.

mrhappy1991

Novice
galsiah said:
Lumpy said:
Evilhyde said:
In fact in morrowind, spears didn't even give you a range advantage
And... how is he wrong?
Well the above is not true in any case. The range advantage might not have made any significant difference, but it was there.

As to the removal of spears from Oblivion, personally it hardly bothers me at all - I'd have thought there were many more important things to complain about. The only way it bothers me is through the motivation behind it - i.e. fun-FPS-play >>> convincing-world. Such thinking doesn't bode well for the rest of the game.

yeah, all the little things taken out wouldnt be to bad if it was just one of them, but all of them gone together is bAd

Lord Chambers

Erudite
Blackwind said:
It's called role-playing. Some people like to do it in rpgs.
Coming from the Codex, reading what the RPG elitists on the TES forums have to say makes me giggle.

Evilhyde

Novice
Lumpy said:
And... how is he wrong?

Well, as some have already pointed out (even in that thread) there was some range difference with the spears. But still, on that note what is the difference between axes and clubs in Oblivion, or axes and swords for that matter?

One item doesn't make or break a game, but the point is more to the TES apologists attitude, in they are quick to make an excuse for every omission. Makes me wonder if a 'game' consisting of an empty 3d world and some mod tools was released, it they would still call it a CRPG in the name of sandbox play.

TheOx

Novice
I've decided to recently "infiltrate" TES forums and see what makes them tick. It's kind of like a perverse nature show of some sort.

http://www.elderscrolls.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=468667

This thread, however, is easily the most bizarre one I've seen so far. Especially later in the thread, when it starts getting into all that "opinion" bullshit. A handful of (what seems like) sensible people have tried to provide logical arguments...but...well, I think you guys need to see this one.

And yes, I know I stole a handful of quotes and such from various people here, but I liked them and felt they illustrated my point better than I could have in some instances.

EDIT: Hah, it just got locked...you know, "post limit" and all that jazz.

Data4

Arcane
Boy that drkknight74 dumbass is a real asskisser. And that BaronSpamedi guy is priceless. Who says the ESF is useless? :lol:

-D4

Limorkil

Liturgist
I think the 'quality' of a lot of the posts in ESF says a lot about the actual games. I used to go there a lot when Morrowind came out. There was a wide range of personalities posting, including a whole bunch of dumbasses. Over time the number of idiots declined, leaving mainly the people who were interested in Morrowind mods.

Whether you liked MW or not, one thing about it is that is was still a fairly hardcore RPG, in the sense that it could not be played mindlessly. You had various stats to contend with, and a lot of stuff to read. The journal was a mess so in order to handle multiple quests you had to pay attention or keep your own notes on where to go etc. I am not claiming it required you to be intellectual, just that it put off the mindless FPS types almost immediately. The dumb posts at ESF were from the rabid fanbois and the occaisional confused Xboxer.

Oblivion has opened up a whole new dimension of stupidity over at ESF. The difference I see is that the ADD fuckwits are less put off by Oblivion, because the game itself is so dumbed down. So this time I do not see these people vanishing quickly, unless some better Xbox360 games come out. To illustrate the difference:

MW : "The quest says go to a cave in the Sheogarad region, SW of Dagon Fel. I cannot find it"

OB : "The pop-up says the book is on the body directly ahead of me. What's a book?"

The one thing that has remained constant is the crap spouted by fanbois. I find it amazing the lengths people will go to in order to justify their purchase of a game. I fully admit to buying OB and liking it (once I got the mod to turn off the popups), but I am not going to stretch the bounds of reality in order to defend it. My favorite responses, linked somewhere above, were on the thread about Bethesda cheating people by releasing a RadiantAI demo that showed AI far superior to what is in the game. Now, to any remotely sane observer this is a fairly clear cut situation: demo shows lots of AI interaction, game does not exhibit any AI even close to the demo. But the fanboi defense is this : "That demo shows what the AI COULD do. It was not intended to be an in-game demo. Just because the demo uses in-game graphics and characters, this does not mean that you should expect a similar level of AI in-game." It then degrades even further into arguments like "Well if every NPC went around shooting arrows and setting fire to animals the game would be no fun, so it is obvious why this behavior is not in the final game". Because, clearly, AI is all about having all NPCs act the exact same way over and over and over. I guess if that is what people think AI is, I can see why they are happy with Oblivion.

I disagree with most of the opinions that the people who frequent RPGCodex express on a regular basis, but at least I can expect a coherent argument or a witty "fuck off" reply. Reading ESF these days just errodes what little faith I had left in the human race.

MINIGUNWIELDER

Scholar
Oblivion has opened up a whole new dimension of stupidity over at ESF. The difference I see is that the ADD fuckwits are less put off by Oblivion, because the game itself is so dumbed down.
We fucking told you all, just like FO:BOS, and Lionheart

shut the fuck up i'm siuck of your bullshit go fucking crawl into the love machine and get fucked by a bald eagel singing Across the Universe maybe then I'll respect you but probalby not IN CONCLUSION FUCKING DIE AND LEAVCE AND DIE FUCK U I HFUCKING HATE YOU SO FUCKING MCUHAFAIF ARGHG FUCK YOU

u wanna take this outside dickcheese i can toss your around likle oyur mother's salad and ill fucking put some dressing on it too assface suck it like you did lastn ight faggot

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom