Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

NSFW Best Thread Ever [No SJW-related posts allowed]

Crooked Bee

(no longer) a wide-wandering bee
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire MCA Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
I kind of did

Yeah, that was kind of weird. Basing your best comic (IMO) on a series of games you can't stand. Apparently you still found something iconic about them.

Probably because the Ultima games lend themselves to mockery really well, what with the whole Lord British and Avatar stuff and the generally asinine style.

thesoup

Arcane
7d1de3634fd1bf123f22e1c5746fd3eb.png

I don't see what you're angry about, a real-time turn-based game would be sweeeet. Like, you have a countdown on the corner of the screen whenever it's your turn, and if you don't act in time you lose the turn. The grand evolution of turn-baseasdfasfsvdggabduhg jvsal

edit: haha, that Vice City video was awesome.

Self-Ejected

Ulminati

Kamelåså!
Patron
I don't see what you're angry about, a real-time turn-based game would be sweeeet. Like, you have a countdown on the corner of the screen whenever it's your turn, and if you don't act in time you lose the turn. The grand evolution of turn-baseasdfasfsvdggabduhg jvsal

I pretty much sang along to this when I read MCA defending RTwP

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth

Turn-based and real-time are merely forms. I concern myself with essence - encounter design. :obviously:

Unfortunately, many Codexians make a fetish out of something that really isn't as important as they think it is.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Turn-based and real-time are merely forms. I concern myself with essence - encounter design. :obviously:

Unfortunately, many Codexians make a fetish out of something that really isn't as important as they think it is.
BG2 may have good encounter design but it's still an annoying clusterfuck to deal with whenever it's not paused.

Admiral jimbob

gay as all hell
Wasteland 2

On the prospective sexual partner of a battle system, TB/RT is the gender, encounter design is the attractiveness. The latter being lacking can completely ruin the former, but the former is the key aspect around which everything else revolves to all but a depraved few who are probably just in it for the fanfiction.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
On the prospective sexual partner of a battle system, TB/RT is the gender, encounter design is the attractiveness. The latter being lacking can completely ruin the former, but the former is the key aspect around which everything else revolves to all but a depraved few who are probably just in it for the fanfiction.

That analogy...have you forgotten what forum you are on? :codexisfor:

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
EA: ‘I get hurt when I see BioWare & DICE criticised’

EA’s Peter Moore has given a rare insight into his views on the gaming populace, backlash aimed squarely at him, as well as criticism hurled at BioWare and DICE. The EA COO has also spoken out regarding the company’s policy of DLC and service subscriptions like Battlefield 3′s Battlelog.

20111209petermoore.jpg

Speaking with Eurogamer, Moore discussed gamer’s dislike for DLC and subscriptions, stating that the problem is generational, rather than a poor move on the publisher’s behalf.

Moore stated, “I think people are worried gaming is going in a different direction than they were used to with N64, Sega Mega Drive, PlayStation and PlayStation 2. Everything was dominated by consoles.”

“Pretty much everything was offline,” Moore continued, “You bought the game. You sat down. And you played the game until you got tired of the game. It was all on the disc. There was nothing else coming along. Sometimes I feel sorry for gamers whose world was cartridges. I sense on the boards there is a pining for the old times.”

Moore does acknowledge and respect that view, “But you’re right. I sense that. And sometimes I feel sorry for gamers whose world was cartridges. I sense on the boards there is a pining for the old times.”

On the subject of backlash, Moore stressed that he doesn’t take personal offence to people having a go at him, but he does feel for EA’s studios, “I do get hurt for guys who work at BioWare, who work at DICE, who work at EAC in Vancouver. These are guys who love games and are brilliant at what they do, and then read this stuff and go, well, I gave everything for that, and that’s what they think about it.”

What do you think readers? Is this hate of DLC and milking content a generation problem, or is Moore shifting blame? Let us know below.

:hero:

thesoup

Arcane
So if you don't like DLC you must be a NES / N64 / PS1 consolefag?
Consolefags are holding the industry back. We would have had so much DLC were it not for them. Damn them.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
So if you don't like DLC you must be a NES / N64 / PS1 consolefag?
Consolefags are holding the industry back. We would have had so much DLC were it not for them. Damn them.

Well, in this thread, several people (myself included) argued that many symptoms of the decline actually have their origins in PC gaming, genealogically speaking.

EDIT: Ah, I see you read it.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom