Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

NSFW Best Thread Ever [No SJW-related posts allowed]

Oriebam

Formerly M4AE1BR0-something
what's so fun about building houses

RK47

collides like two planets pulled by gravity
Patron
Dead State Divinity: Original Sin
yeah that's the depressing part, i had a sim who brought back a daughter back from the time machine. that was pretty rad. And somehow made him immortal - so he was like riding a F1 car to work and stuff after buying up the whole town and living off estates income. It was pretty much 'achievements' game in a literal sense. You don't need to see trophies or pop ups to know you succeed, you basically amass a perverse amount of cash and just blow it on stuff you know you don't NEED, but you WANT to see yours sims using it.

Phelot

Arcane
Sims has potential and I occasionally play it for fun, but there's something lacking to make it into an actually good game. Needs to be more choice and consequence (hurr) as in changes/decisions in the world that actually matter.

Which is lacking in about 90% of all games that focus on being a complete sandbox, anyway.

It also needs an actual challenge and point to the game.

RK47

Patron
Sims has potential and I occasionally play it for fun, but there's something lacking to make it into an actually good game. Needs to be more choice and consequence (hurr) as in changes/decisions in the world that actually matter.

Which is lacking in about 90% of all games that focus on being a complete sandbox, anyway.

It also needs an actual challenge and point to the game.

In-game achievements that actually translates better than a X-BOX G points and titles not good enough for you?
I'd like to remind you it's the same shit with Mount & Blade. You grind and fight and lost thousands of men, ....and what? You become the King, yay. Same shit. You're the CEO of Mega Corporation. The Evil Mastermind. The Rock Star. The Kungfu Master of China.

It's a game. It's a sandbox objective. Why does everything have to be so 'objective-based'?
Go check Sims Medieval and tell me if that's an improvement to the Sims Formula. It definitely isn't in my book.

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Yeah but both Sims and M&B need more dynamical shit happening in the gameworld, and maybe some events like in Paradox games, to offer more long-term fun.

In M&B, generals and kings can't die. It leads to staticness in the gameworld because king A taking out king B's most powerful generals means shit when they're practically immortal. They can be sold for ransom, or they'll just manage to escape on their own. Kingdom management once you've become king is also very lacking.

Same with Sims. Once you've reached the top of your career, there's little that could happen to set you back. Why not throw some shit into the player's way that could potentially screw him up?

This is the problem with sandbox games like these. The gameworld is usually just too static and un-reactive, which makes the games seem bland and shallow after some time of playing.

DwarvenFood

Arcane
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Codex USB, 2014 Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
So which Sims game is the one to get, would one want to indulge in such non-monocled activity ? I heard that the medieval one was actually semi-good, but RK-chan claims otherwise ?

Multi-headed Cow

So which Sims game is the one to get, would one want to indulge in such non-monocled activity ? I heard that the medieval one was actually semi-good, but RK-chan claims otherwise ?
Good heavens don't try Sims Medieval. Much less sandbox, way more focus on doing objectives. I'd say do Sims 3, the "Seamless world" is a big enough addition I could never go back to Sims 2 after having it. Just set goals and restrictions yourself and have fun. Sometimes it's fun to "Play to win", other times it's fun to make a miserable bastard, other times it's fun to make a difficult family and see what you can do with it with a minimal amount of gaming it. And there's always the ever popular murderer sim.

I hope you're talking about dirty dirty piracy though. Especially if you want expansions, none of which you particularly NEED but eh. More crap.

RK47

Patron
You can't even build your own castle in Medieval. You had pre-designed walls and you can fill it up with barrels of potatoes or leave it bare. It doesn't really matter.

You have a bunch of 'quest' modes for each character type. To some, it may seem like EA is adding 'challenge' into the game, to me... it's just MMO standard grind. 'Do this,do that, get reward. Fail, and you wasted time.' Spend more Kingdom points and try again. After all that trouble to level up your characters you were given...

A shitty sandbox mode.
You never see your family with you. They live in a vacuum SOMEWHERE out there. You have a kid that never grows up, a wife that doesn't die of natural cause etc. It puzzles me what kind of experience are they trying to give when the world is so static and visibly 'limited' for a sandbox.

When I played Sims 3 as the Immortal Sim I was struck by the 'aging' that the other Sims undergo. The regular bartender started appearing with walking sticks, your best friend dying to old age, your dog died, leaving his puppies behind and now your neighbor's daughter is now a woman. And she's now legal. :smug:

It's little touches like this that fools me into thinking the world is kinda 'alive' at some point. I like that. I enjoyed that.

catfood

AGAIN
what's so fun about building houses
Building houses is nothing. It's seeing them prosper. That's the reward.

Pharoah.png

Commissar Draco

Codexia Comrade Colonel Commissar
Patron
Insert Title Here Strap Yourselves In Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2
Sims Medieval would be good if they were as RK 47 said less static and more Medieval in setting and play style and less Kwan Disneylandish. But since Sand box game with no strong story lines bore me quickly I avoid them Sims whenever I can.

The only reason a sane person would keep playing the sims is to turn your avatar in some kind of inmortal demigod with dozens of bastards and building your own mansion filled with sex slaves.

Seeker
In My Safe Space
This man is a genius

Playing Games for All the Wrong Reasons

Games, especially modern ones, revolve around the principle that if you put the time in, you will be rewarded. Many gamers claim to not understand how anyone could put up with grinding in a video game. But grinding is comforting. Grinding tells us that, no matter what, if you keep playing you’ll become more powerful. If you keep playing, you’ll earn enough money to buy the things you want. If you keep playing, you’ll gain access to more levels and items and goodies.

Gamers have jokingly quipped that if textbooks had achievements, we’d all be geniuses. But the fact is… that’s probably true.

But I believe the empowering and interactive nature of video games makes them easier to abuse, and easier to consume for unhealthy reasons. I also believe video games are a more attractive leisure activity for individuals with obsessive leanings, or individuals with unhealthy tendencies towards destructive escapism. Fantasy and escapism aren’t inherently bad, but neither can come at the expense of confronting and embracing reality and living a responsible life.

So gamers are the scum of society or the scum of society turns to gaming?

And the glorious epilogue

Are you playing games because you’re having fun, or because you have an unconfronted fear of failure?

RK47

Patron
Are you playing games because you’re having fun, or because you have an unconfronted fear of failure?

.....................what the fuck am I reading.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom