Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Best Total War?

Makabb

Arcane
Shitposter Bethestard
So which one is the best?

Medieval 2, Empire, Napoleon, Shogun 2, Rome 2, Atila, Warhammer ?

Neanderthal

Arcane
Medieval 1 for me, none o others have grabbed me like that fucker did, it were like crack amount o hours I wasted on that shit when I coulda been sleepin or relaxin between shifts. Viking Invasion dint fuckin help.

Delterius

Arcane
My favorite ones are Rome 1, Medieval 2 and Napoleon. But Rome 1 is probably the best TW, still. Mind you, Napoleon only makes the list because of the time period and for being the functional version of Empire.

oldmanpaco

Master of Siestas
Rome 1 was the one I played the most. So many good mods for that game you forget how crappy the unmodded game is.

Actually S1/ME1 are good games on their own. R1/ME2 are good games with mods. After this CA thought (incorrectly) that letting people mod their games would fuck with DLC and they made it difficult or impossible to make the same type of modification.

Anyway shit company is shit now.

edit: Just looked back at OP and from that list ME2 is the way to go. So much diversity in mods/game play over the other games.

dehimos

Augur
My favorite ones are Rome 1, Medieval 2 and Napoleon. But Rome 1 is probably the best TW, still. Mind you, Napoleon only makes the list because of the time period and for being the functional version of Empire.

Is Empire a good game with mods?

Makabb

Arcane
Shitposter Bethestard
Seems there is no consensus on best TW as everyone says something else....... for me personaly it was Rome 1 because of the setting and the cavalry charges feel the most satisfying.

Raghar

Arcane
Vatnik

I liked to set battle time to minimum, and I liked elephants. Empire would be much better game when they would use 4 seasons per year.

Getting version 1.5+ for free is nice. (BTW on hard when you are not in war, AI has timer. If you would have too long peace someone would declare.)

Last edited:
Unwanted

Hegemon Severus

Unwanted
Dear Peasants, i had great times and memories about playing Medieval TW II with Stainless Steel mod. It was years ago, when i can play games without kids and angry wife around.
I've spend many hours conquering medieval europe and middle east with different kingdoms. But for me true gem and masterpiece is mine beloved Warhammer TW.
I love Warhammer FB universe [killed by GW bastards] since first games like Shadow of the horned rat or great Dark Omen, been playing tabletop versions, and i like to return to army and rulebooks even now, quite often.
So for me Warhammer Total War is best part of whole great TW Series.

Divicus

Learned
Rome 1 and EB in particular were huge time sinks for me.

By the way: How is EB 2 coming along, did someone here test out the newest patch/iteration?

Delterius

Arcane

I spent a long time trying to get Empire to work and the answer is that it is not worth it.

Without mods Empire is unplayable still. With mods such as Darthmod the game almost takes shape. But in the end its still a bad joke of what could have been.

Countries like France are made up of single regions. The colonial theaters lack west africa and most of south america. The horrifying Ottoman/Russia turn bug where the AI shits itself trying to wrap its mind around the Bosphorus straight is still there. Warfare is basically just like Napoleon's except that you get to spam more melee units which are useless to everyone but the turks. The 3D map ensures that the AI does not work the way it should.

What fun I had with Empire is derived from how it was my first TW ever. And also my love for the time period. In the end its best to just get Napoleon even if its limited in scope to Europe.

Urthor

Prophet
Patron
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Shogun 2 perfection itself, and sleek enough that you don't have to be a grognard to actually like it

Warhammer pretty damn good honestly, went in expecting the worst but whilst they're gypping you for every last shekel with the expansions it's certainly a great experience as long as you have a monster of an overclocked CPU and are willing to throw cash at it like it's The Sims. If you are willing to flourish both Intel and CA with enough shiny dollarydoos then you will have a great time.

Rome TW oldy but good, grognard optimal

Medieval 2 notable for having a pretty cool Lord of the Rings total conversion that my 12 year old self thoroughly enjoyed

Lone Wolf

Arcane
Vatnik
Medieval 2 (for mods, mainly), Shogun 2, TW: Warhammer. Not necessarily in that order.

I feared for Warhammer, but they've done a fantastic job, truly. It's not a perfect game, but it's a fun and varied experience. That's all I wanted.

LizardWizard

Cipher
Seems there is no consensus on best TW as everyone says something else....... for me personaly it was Rome 1 because of the setting and the cavalry charges feel the most satisfying.

Pretty sure the consensus is that Medieval 1 had the only worthwhile strategic map depth and has only declined since.

A horse of course

Best overpowered clandestine warfare: Shogun 1
Best incest: Medieval 1
Best original vanilla experience, modding scene and user-friendly modding: Medieval 2
Best pick-up-and-play (as Rome) and battle physics: Rome 1/BI
Best difficulty curve/balance and DLC campaigns: Attila
Best art direction and single campaign run before it gets boring as shit: Shogun 2
Best variety and ambition: Empire
Best relaxing music: Napoleon
Best attempt at salvaging garbage: Rome 2
Best vanilla potential once it's 20 pounds in 4 years with all the DLC: Warhammer Total War

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom