Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Best Total War?

oldmanpaco

Master of Siestas
Rome 1 and Medieval 2 because mods.

Seriously, just get mods and play the game for many hours, until you finally grow tired of the engine's quirks.
It's been ages since I played Rome, but I did try Medieval 2 with Stainless Steel a year or two ago. How anyone can play it is beyond me. With a 4ghz intel CPU, a few turns in I'd have turn processing times of 20-30 seconds. In the worst cases it would take several minutes. Completely unplayable.

Play in a borderless window

Alt-tab into your browser or whatever when enemy turns are processing

In the glory days of EB1 I'd read a book between turns.

2007 was a simpler time.

A horse of course

I genuinely don't understand how anyone can enjoy EB. It's soul-crushingly boring. Actually reading a classical history book is more engaging.

Deleted member 7219

From the ones I've played:

Good
  • Shogun 2: Fall of the Samurai
  • Shogun 2 Vanilla
  • Europa Barbarorum (mod for Rome: Total War)
  • Warhammer

Not as Good
  • Medieval 2
  • Medieval 2: Kingdoms
  • Rome
  • Rome 2
  • Empire
  • Napoleon: Peninsular Campaign
  • Napoleon

I have no interest in playing Attila, and I haven't played Shogun or Medieval.

Last edited by a moderator:

A horse of course

I've played 281hrs of Warhammer but I seriously wouldn't recommend it yet if you're not a WARtist.

Dux

Arcane
I'd play Medieval: Total War again for sure, if it actually worked. It's on Steam but unfortunately all I'm hearing about it is trouble. That game was epic and had some candid character traits. It was straightforward mayhem with a lovely soundtrack.

Rome: Total War was all right too.

I genuinely don't understand how anyone can enjoy EB. It's soul-crushingly boring. Actually reading a classical history book is more engaging.

I agree with this. EB was detailed as fuck but it left the enjoyment at the door. I'd take a more shallow, less realistic mod anyday if it meant I'm actually having fun. Some of these modders get too ambitious for their own good. It's just a game, after all.

Maggot

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire
I have the steam version of MTW and STW I haven't had any issues with either of them so far. They run better than the older versions for me at least. I also agree about EB even though I enjoyed it. It was fun for the novelty of all the new units but starting off with your income being in the negatives for around 20 turns with armies that have completely neutered movement speed gets old after a lot of replays. The thing it got right was battle speed compared to vanilla RTW without going full retard like RS2 where the simplest of battles will go over the 60 minute mark.

A horse of course

Nah, holding strategic points like bridges or passes added to the game. The AI was just too stupid to use it properly. The best they can do is their infuriating ability to know the precise location and distance of every single unit on the map in Warhammer, helping them run away for 50 turns after losing a battle.

Correct_Carlo

Arcane
Medieval 2 is the one I played the most and I'd also say it's the best. I also think Rome was a high point for the series, but I recall Medieval 2 basically being very similar to Rome, only with upgrades and added features, so it's better. Empire: TW is definitely the worst, fwiw. I've tried playing that so many times, but bounced off each one.

Last edited:

Makabb

Arcane
Shitposter Bethestard
1st medieval is still being modded.

New Redux mod will overhaul the most important, princesses !

Promo_PrincessRXB1006.jpg

Maggot

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire
MTW Redux Beta 1006 is out.
http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showthread.php?190721-Medieval-Total-War-Redux-(Beta)
The 1006 version upgrades, changes or introduce close to 700
files in total, scattered all over the game. Many changes are in
terms of GFX but there are several other changes too. Many units
have their color-patterns changed, for increased general
distinction and consistency in the field - making it easier to
spot various kinds of units from a distance, while also
increasing diversity in the field (I think anyways). Some units
have been removed/cut and a few have been added since the 1005a-
version. Castles have been given greater complexity and meaning
to the overall game and has become much less standardized -
upgrading a keep for instance do have meaning and benefits now,
in great contrast to past versions or the raw game. There are
plenty of other stuff included too that you guys will have to
discover for yourselves…

Overall, the 1006 is one of the largest upgrades released for
Redux ever since 2011 and it clearly pushes onwards in the same
path already initiated with the previous 1005-releases.

Lastly, all found and identified bugs (and errors) have been
killed or fixed, as much as possible, and due to some changes in
file-structures, this version is NOT save-game compatible with
ANY previous versions of Redux. Sorry for that. You must thus
start a fresh new game to run beta 1006.

Riel

Arcane
My first Total War was the first one, Shogun so I do keep very fond memories about it, but I do agree that Medieval 1 which I didn't play as much as I wanted was a better version of it.

Konjad

Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I really wish CA made another good Total War game but I lost hope long ago :negative:

Okagron

Prophet
Rome Total War 1 along with the Barbarian Invasion expansion is my favorite game in the series.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom