Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Best video game composers

Best video game composer

• Inon Zur

• Kiril Pokrovsky

• Frank Klepacki

• Mark Morgan

• Koji Kondo

• Someone I neglected to mention

• Jeremy Soule

• Paul Anthony Romero

• Alexander Brandon

• Michiel van den Bos

Results are only viewable after voting.
Zur isn't average, in my opinion. His work is noticeably and distinctly bad.

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
I was being polite. He did have one good song, at least:

That, and arrival at Targus, are the only Zur songs I can tolerate. Normally he just annoys me with his blandness. Soule isn't so much average as he is overrated. Or not even that: he used to be genuinely fantastic. The Total Annihilation OST slaps, and the Morrowind one is still quite a banger. But after that he stopped evolving and has just been remaking the same songs.

I liked Soule's work in Guild Wars and SupCom / SupCom FA. He does make a lot of generic stuff but I think a lot of that is just what developers ask him to do.

Neanderthal

Arcane
I was being polite. He did have one good song, at least:

That, and arrival at Targus, are the only Zur songs I can tolerate. Normally he just annoys me with his blandness. Soule isn't so much average as he is overrated. Or not even that: he used to be genuinely fantastic. The Total Annihilation OST slaps, and the Morrowind one is still quite a banger. But after that he stopped evolving and has just been remaking the same songs.

Thought "Return to Kuldahar" was quite nice as well.

Thal

Prophet

Inon Zur war brilliant in ToB. It's just that since that and IWD2 he has been uninspiring to say the least.

Abu Antar

Turn-based Poster
Patron
Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Lots of good mentions.

Two that I have to add are Yoko Shimomura and Masashi Hamauzu. I have to make two posts as I can only post 5 media links.
Shimomura.

Last edited:

Gorn

Novice
The ratio of good to bad ITT so far is upsetting, here to restore the balance
Yuki Kajiura

Michiru Yamane

Paul_cz

Arcane
I like music by all those listed in the poll. Even Zur does some amazing music from time to time.

Also partial to the music in Witcher games and their expansions. Actually listening to this right now:

Jesper Kyd is a legend too. Hitman and Freedom Fighters soundtracks are brilliant, but Darksiders 2, game I will never play because it bores me, has the best OST

Zarniwoop

TESTOSTERONIC As Fuck™
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
>>"Best videogame composers"
>>List does not consist solely of, nor even include Christopher Tin.
>>OP is a massive fag.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom