Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Best way to play Devil May Cry 1-3 on PC ?

Sjukob

Arcane
Help me guys, I don't know what to do. I've never played DMC before and want to try out the series by playing the games in order of release date. The thing is that I have no idea what is the best way to play original trilogy on PC, seems like every option is rather fucky, and it is especially confusing when it comes to DMC 3.

1. PS2 emulation. Barely know anything about quality of it, I've heard there are some issues with it, like missing UI or something, but of course I can't confirm anything.
  2. HD collection. Said to have a lot of issues, here's an example. I've seen a lot of people complain about FPS, crashes or certain games not launching at all.
  3. DMC3SE 2006 port for PC. Seems like everyone agrees that it's an absolute piece of shit, but some people claim that it can be fixed by certain mods.
  4. And what exactly are those fucking mods that they refer to ?! Style switcher ? On mod's page a lot of people complain about various bugs, author stated that certain game stages are skipped, because they just don't work with the mod. DDMK is supposed to be the more advanced version of style switcher, covering DMC 1-4, but it seems to be full of bugs too.
So, am I wrong about something or is DMC trilogy just generally fucked on PC ?

Self-Ejected

Carls Barkley

Safav Hamon
The Real Fanboy
I wouldn't bother with the first two games. #1 hasn't aged well, and #2 was always garbage. Dante's Awakening is the first iteration of modern DMC gameplay under the direction of Itsuno, and the only one with a decent story.

Last edited:

janior

Arcane
Vatnik
HD collection on steam is the best way to go and fuck NO don't skip DMC1 it's great.
DMC3SE even with patches that make it 'work' has issue with no battle sound and that just sucks ass also some other minor issues
dont use any mods

DJOGamer PT

Arcane
HD Collection on Steam.
Don't listen to people that tell you DMC1 isn't worth it. Play DMC1, it's still a good game and gives a good understanding on the series origin and evolution.
You can also listen the Style Switcher Mod for DMC3.
Lastly skip the sequels with a even number (2 and 4), since 2 is shit and 4 is just 5 but without content, polish and good enemy design.

flyingjohn

Arcane
Forget about emulation,the games require software rendering and that is not worth it due to be beefy requirements and no up scaling.
Ge the hd version,bets version even with the bugs.

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
Don't listen to those who says that DMC4 is not worth playing. Although it is light on the content, its combat mechanic was the best in the series until DMC5. And it doesn't hurt if you know the story if you want to play DMC5.

Ivan

Arcane
DMC1 will help you appreciate how much better DMC3 is in every way.
the shade
200w.webp

Bahamut

Arcane
I'd say dmc1 goes best with emulation due pc version being inferior with some effects that where to roughly ported,
Dmc2 is dogshit because its just unfinished mess made by random people, whatever you chose you will have bad time
Dmc3 eighter ps2 or dmc3 from pc HD collection both are fine

Sjukob

Arcane
Alright, thanks everybody for the advice, finaly I have an idea on what I should do.

Matador

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
If you like DMC3 go also for DMC4, it's short and reuses content, but it's very good and fun.

deama

Prophet
I played DMC3 on both the ps2 emulator and the special edition one a long time ago. They all worked fine for me.
If I had to pick though, probably go with the ps2 emulator one, the issues you've mentioned I've never had anything like that with any game. It does require a bit of setup, but you can easily just find some guide on the internet. This way you'll avoid any crashes or any "port defects" that came with the PC version, as well as operating system compatability issues.

Last edited:

Duraframe300

Arcane
I'd say dmc1 goes best with emulation due pc version being inferior with some effects that where to roughly ported,
Dmc2 is dogshit because its just unfinished mess made by random people, whatever you chose you will have bad time

Not really?

DMC2 was made by the same people as DMC3. (Itsuno was the director as well).
They just stepped up their game like nobody has before or since.

DJOGamer PT

Arcane

Not really?

DMC2 was made by the same people as DMC3. (Itsuno was the director as well).
They just stepped up their game like nobody has before or since.

Itsuno was only brought to direct it when the game had only 4/3 months before being shipped off to stores (and he was only brought in because the previous director quit or got fired).
And at that period in time the team had only Dante's basic attack and the stinger move. Most bosses and enemies plus Lucia weren't even finished.

ninja edit:
one interesting piece of trivia is that around this time Itsuno was already working by himself on a Medieval ARPG concept with DnD influences

I played DMC3 on both the ps2 emulator and the special edition one a long time ago. They all worked fine for me.
If I had to pick though, probably go with the ps2 emulator one, the issues you've mentioned I've never had anything like that with any game. It does require a bit of setup, but you can easily just find some guide on the internet. This way you'll avoid any crashes or any "port defects" that came with the PC version, as well as operating system compatability issues.
PCSX2 has terrible input lag and I'd never recommend it for any action game.

Darkforge

Augur
Play 3 first anyway cause it's a prequel and then really realize how much better it is than 1 (do not play 2 at all it's complete garbage, and also apparently canonically at the end of the timeline.)

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom