Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Best way to play Devil May Cry 1-3 on PC ?

DJOGamer PT

Arcane
Maybe you could run it with a new CPU?

Sjukob

Arcane
I respect you being so determined about DMC3. But even it the highest difficulty breaks the game and it will turn it awful, DMC3 still remains one of the greatest spectacle fighter game ever, because DMD diffiulty is just a tiny part of the game which most people don't even play.
You don't have to go to DMD, Very Hard is enough since it alters the spawns and AI. Also majority of my points are not related to the difficulty mode, it's just that they are way easier to notice and become worse on harder modes. I know that most of the people have that mentality (not just in video games, but in general), if they are able to pass certain things without geting stuck or killed repeteadly then they won't notice the problem. But I personally don't approve of such behaviour.

Maybe you could run it with a new CPU?

Ah don't worry man. It's not like I lack games to play or don't have something better to do.

Sjukob

Arcane
Man, DMC4 is so unbearably stiff and clunky. I tried playing Vergil (and bloody palace in general), whom everybody calls overpowered but it's not what I want to talk about. My question is - what the fuck is wrong with cancelling, recovery times and hitstun in this game ? I swear, it feels like every character is loaded with moves that have long recovery times, that you either can't cancel out of or just have very limited options to do so. Like Vergil can only really cancel with his trick or sometimes judgement cut and Dante has to use his royal guard. I keep getting hit mid combos by regular mooks, because I can't cancel my attacks with jumps or side rolls. It's doesn't help that some enemies can barely be hit stunned, the frosts are just retarded. The worst thing I've seen so far - is how one of them just casually sidestepped Yamato's million slash final hit, while eating the whole "millions slash" part. I really don't want to go into details about this, but when you start fighting crowds, where enemies: have super armor, throw out poorly or outright untelegraphed attacks, ignore hitstun, get out of combos, have a shield or are just gimmicky. And you as a player have a hard time seeing shit, because special effects are too awesome and large enemies cover your sight. All of these + having horrible cancels and recovery times just turns the game into a shitshow. I might be bad, but I don't feel like becoming good in such a system. It just feels terrible, when you come from DMC3 that controls so very well and getting hit there never made me feel like there were some problems on the game's end, only that I wasn't playing good enough. I even thought that I might've gotten rusty or something, so I came back to DMC3 and played the first 2000 floors in bloody palace. My experience: clear visuals, better camera, Dante controls super smoothly, attacks are clearly telegraphed, can cancel out of everything, jump cancelling is easy - blasting demons with shotgun rapidfire mode all day. Got through those 2000 floors without problems and honestly had more fun than I expected. DMC4 might have some cool stuff, but overall it is such an abortion of a game.

Additionaly you will have access to save states and trust me you really want them, most of the bosses (and some advanced enemies) have quite a lot of non-obvious stuff for you to figure out and it takes time do it, you will be really glad to have an option to save before something that gives you trouble, so that you don't have to restart the level just to get to the part that you struggle with.

That's the reason I dropped DMC3 when I got to Vergil fight - every time I wanted to take a break from a fight I ended up having to redo entire level so after few times of doing that I just stopped giving a shit. Might have to try it on emulator eventually just for the save states. So far I've only finished DMC5 and the western reboot one because they had the decency to actually save at checkpoints.

Sjukob

Arcane
That's the reason I dropped DMC3 when I got to Vergil fight - every time I wanted to take a break from a fight I ended up having to redo entire level so after few times of doing that I just stopped giving a shit. Might have to try it on emulator eventually just for the save states. So far I've only finished DMC5 and the western reboot one because they had the decency to actually save at checkpoints.
I don't really understand what you are talking about. How long has it been since the last time you've played DMC3 ? The original release used yellow orb system similar to DMC1 - if you die and have some of those you can respawn at a checkpoint, if not you have to restart a level. After special edition was released a year later they changed it, now you could choose between yellow and gold. Yellow was the classic system, but with gold you could always respawn at a checkpoint, but having golden orbs (just a name change from yellow orbs) allows you to get up with replenished health right in the middle of the battle. Also the first Virgil fight is the like the most fair battle in the entire game, if you managed to get past Cerberus it's 146% guaranteed that you can beat down Virgil. I was able to beat the game on Very Hard pretty comfortably and I'm not good at these.

As for the best way to play DMC3, the HD collection runs absolutely fine, you can also try giving DDMK mod a go.

Last edited:
I don't really understand what you are talking about. How long has it been since the last time you've played DMC3 ? The original release used yellow orb system similar to DMC1 - if you die and have some of those you can respawn at a checkpoint, if not you have to restart a level. After special edition was released a year later they changed it, now you could choose between yellow and gold. Yellow was the classic system, but with gold you could always respawn at a checkpoint, but having golden orbs (just a name change from yellow orbs) allows you to get up with replenished health right in the middle of the battle. Also the first Virgil fight is the like the most fair battle in the entire game, if you managed to get past Cerberus it's 146% guaranteed that you can beat down Virgil.

If I take a break from a game I have to redo entire level because checkpoints are not saves, it only saves after completing a level. Also fuck Gold Orbs. That "fair" Vergil fight kept killing me in couple seconds without a fucking clue of what to do to him. And I would've figured it out eventually after taking some breaks from it, which I don't mind when there's a savepoint before a fight. Cerberus fight was way easier for me. So was the Vergil fight in DMC5, at least on Devil Hunter, he kicked my ass on Son of Sparda there too.

Sjukob

Arcane
If I take a break from a game I have to redo entire level because checkpoints are not saves, it only saves after completing a level. Also fuck Gold Orbs.
I see, it just never occurred to me, because I found missions to be short enough to beat at least one of them in one sitting. As for the emulator, I can't say anything, I've never been brave enough to try it.

That "fair" Vergil fight kept killing me in couple seconds without a fucking clue of what to do to him. And I would've figured it out eventually after taking some breaks from it, which I don't mind when there's a savepoint before a fight. Cerberus fight was way easier for me. So was the Vergil fight in DMC5, at least on Devil Hunter, he kicked my ass on Son of Sparda there too.
Interesting. Do you want some tips ?

I see, it just never occurred to me, because I found missions to be short enough to beat at least one of them in one sitting.

They are short enough. But I don't tolerate redoing even short sections just to get back to the part that's giving me trouble. I quit many games that didn't allow me to save anywhere and had badly placed savepoints because I'm too old for that shit. Some games I quit just because there was unskippable cutscene after a damn checkpoint that I had to replay. No patience at all for that stuff.

As for the emulator, I can't say anything, I've never been brave enough to try it.

Nigger you're the one who was recommending the emulator. Stop trolling then, And no, no need for tips as I'm not sure when I'm going around to playing it, if ever. I just remembered another annoying thing about DMC3 - I couldn't turn off the garbage music, unlike in DMC5 and reboot. If I do get around to playing on emulator I'm sure I'll figure it out.

Last edited:

Sjukob

Arcane
Nigger you're the one who was recommending the emulator. Stop trolling then,
Dude, that post you quoted:

Additionaly you will have access to save states and trust me you really want them, most of the bosses (and some advanced enemies) have quite a lot of non-obvious stuff for you to figure out and it takes time do it, you will be really glad to have an option to save before something that gives you trouble, so that you don't have to restart the level just to get to the part that you struggle with.

It was me talking about DMC1.

Oh ok. I don't think there's gonna be much trouble running DMC3 on emulator anyway, people have been emulating it for many years now from what I've heard. But it will probably run worse if I try to make it look as good as DMC3 HD downsampled from 4K looked.

Dedicated_Dark

Arbiter
They are short enough. But I don't tolerate redoing even short sections just to get back to the part that's giving me trouble. I quit many games that didn't allow me to save anywhere and had badly placed savepoints because I'm too old for that shit.
I am pretty sure the game starts you off right before the boss if you fail. The only thing it doesn't allow is save mid-mission. Your complaint is really weak, considering it takes less than 10min to get to the fight once you know what to do in-level.

Your complaint is really weak, considering it takes less than 10min to get to the fight once you know what to do in-level.

I don't give a fuck if it's less than 5 minutes, I don't want to do it at all and I'll quit the game for any damn reason I want, faggot. If I take a break from a part that's giving me challenge I need restart right near that part next time, not keep redoing a bunch of boring steps to get back to it.

DJOGamer PT

Arcane
:necro:

Just to add some small info to this thread

Despite DMC2 source being leaked to the net, the reason why nobody made any sort of big overhaul mod, is because apparently the code is a complete mess :

1687728181645277.png

Also here's a debug build :

Don't listen to those who says that DMC4 is not worth playing. Although it is light on the content, its combat mechanic was the best in the series until DMC5. And it doesn't hurt if you know the story if you want to play DMC5.

I wouldn’t say it’s light on content. And I especially wouldn’t say that after the years later Special Edition that added Trish, Lady, and Vergil as playable characters.

Devil May Cry 4 also has some of the best weapons in the series.

Matador

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
Disliking DMC4 is a litmus test for fake character action games enjoyers, probably trannies and Bayonetta fans.

Arthandas

Prophet
DMC HD Collection is shit, it has oversharpened textures, missing effects, bad audio loops and other bugs:

1 and 3 are best played on PCSX2 with no interlacing patches.

As for 5, even though SE is not on PC, the PC version is still the best thanks to SSSiyan's Collaborative Cheat Trainer. It offers even better Turbo and Legendary Dark Knight modes along with 50 other tweaks and optional additions.

Last edited:

Jacob

Pronouns: Nick/Her
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy
In DMC 4 SE you can play as Lady who's super hot and has a unique moveset. Too bad you're forced to play as Trish in Dante's missions, her moveset is the most uninspired shit ever in this series and is basically just a simplfied Dante.

DJOGamer PT

Arcane
In DMC 4 SE you can play as Lady who's super hot and has a unique moveset.
Which is quite limited and clearly a primarily gun user isn't a proper character for this type of gameplay

Trish in Dante's missions, her moveset is the most uninspired shit ever in this series and is basically just a simplfied Dante.
Nothing inherently wrong with this - still makes her more fun than Lady
Nero is also a simplified Dante when you think about it and he's the best character in 4, because the enemies are all clearly designed around him

inb4: Dante is the best character in 4
He's super nerfed and you need to train past alot of bullshit before you can get crazy with him

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom