Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Bethesda about to announce Fallout 4?

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
No, FNV is not terrible by any measure but would it be a true Codex Darling (tm) if it wasn't made by Sawyer, Avellone and rest of the Obsidian but instead, say, by CDPR I wonder?

No, FNV is not terrible by any measure but would it be a true Codex Darling (tm) if it wasn't made by Sawyer, Avellone and rest of the Obsidian bunch I wonder?

[Perception]You mean that beth would be able to do a game where writting doesnt cause cancer?

a cut of domestic sheep prime

If CDPR made it, it would just be one long sex cutscene with guns and mutants...so, yes, probably. :M
but it was bogged down by everything that made Fallout 3, well, Fallout 3
That probably had a lot to do with it. It felt more like a spoof of a Fallout game than a real Fallout game. I don't know. Again, it's been a long time since I've picked it up. I probably am being a little hard on the game, but when you get called a retard it tends to make you want to be a little rude and over-the-top in return. Also, I really can't remember that much truly enjoyable content and that says something about the game in my opinion. I have plenty of memorable moments from Fallout, Arcanum, TOEE, and even Bloodlines - for all its brokenness - but NV left me feeling generally underwhelmed. Again, I'll say that I prefer Obsidian's take on the game to Bethesda's, but being good compared to shit isn't all that much to brag about.

Akratus, kindly go fuck yourself and die. thanks.

Last edited by a moderator:

undecaf

Arcane
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2
As long as we get a spin off from obsidian, then go right ahead beth.

I could agree to that. But I'd want them to give more focus and love to the implementation, use and impact of the skill and attribute set; in and out of combat but especially combat - both, positive and negative effects.

Grotesque

±¼ ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Patron
Vatnik
Divinity: Original Sin Divinity: Original Sin 2
"Now I’m going to be optimistic here and say this Fallout 4 trademark looks slightly more legit"

Are you fucking serious? Optimistic for what. Was Fallout 3 anything but a turd in the heat of the sun?

Spectacle

Arcane
Patron
No, FNV is not terrible by any measure but would it be a true Codex Darling (tm) if it wasn't made by Sawyer, Avellone and rest of the Obsidian but instead, say, by CDPR I wonder?
What if New Vegas had been made by Bethesda and released as "Fallout 3"

Lhynn

Arcane

I could agree to that. But I'd want them to give more focus and love to the implementation, use and impact of the skill and attribute set; in and out of combat but especially combat - both, positive and negative effects.
Or, they could just make it not suck. Like they did with the F3 -> NV. As long as they give me more vault 11 quality and stop the stupid level scaling that retarded F4 will surely have, ill fucking take it.

undecaf

Arcane
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2
What if New Vegas had been made by Bethesda and released as "Fallout 3"

Lesser hemorrhoids, but hemorrhoids still.

Or, they could just make it not suck. Like they did with the F3 -> NV. As long as they give me more vault 11 quality and stop the stupid level scaling that retarded F4 will surely have, ill fucking take it.

Writing's all well and good; gameplay would be my first concern should Obsidian need to polish Bethesdas turds again.

Rake

Arcane
I would prefer Obsidian to focus on their own games, or having Tim Cain create a different Fallout/Arcanum spiritual successor. Screw Fallout. It's dead. 2 games and 2 decent spin offs(Tactics and New Vegas) are enough.

imweasel

The quest design and narrative of New Vegas are pretty good. But the mechanics, while vastly improved over F3, were still pretty shitty. Not Obsidian's fault though, you can only polish a turd so much.
And the carbon copy of F3's UI in NV was of course also total shit.

I would prefer Obsidian to focus on their own games, or having Tim Cain create a different Fallout/Arcanum spiritual successor. Screw Fallout. It's dead. 2 games and 2 decent spin offs(Tactics and New Vegas) are enough.
I'd instantly back a game like that with a larger sum.

I'm still hoping that Obsidian will pitch a new Kickstarter after they release the gameplay video of P:E... Similar to what Inxile did with Torment.

Rake

Arcane
I'm still hoping that Obsidian will pitch a new Kickstarter after they release the gameplay video of P:E... Similar to what Inxile did with Torment.
I think they have said that they will wait until PE is out before pitching another game.

Junmarko

† Cristo è Re †
Patron
Usually this would annoy me, probably going back a year or two. When games like this got in the way of the real stuff being made. But thank fuck we have Kickstarter and various other ways that people can fund their traditional titles. Now we can turn away and give a casual 'Meh'.

Scruffy

Ex-janitor
Patron
Codex 2012 Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014
Usually this would annoy me, probably going back a year or two. When games like this got in the way of the real stuff being made. But thank fuck we have Kickstarter and various other ways that people can fund their traditional titles. Now we can turn away and give a casual 'Meh'.
but not really, yet. better wait and see what happens. if the results are like shadowrun...

Lhynn

Arcane
but not really, yet. better wait and see what happens. if the results are like shadowrun...
And this is the top quality shitposting ive grown to love. Sup idhtftc.
SRR was a good game, stop being butthurt over it not being the messiah that would lead the new generation of "old school" TB RPGs. It was a short, cheap game that did a lot of things right and a lot of things wrong. Your time would be better spent calling bullshit on the new X-com.

Lhynn

Arcane
It was a short, cheap game
which is why it's better to wait for something one can actually call a game, before hailing kickstarter as the savior of the genre. Come on, you can do this.

Oh shut up you insufferable cunt, go taunt CF or someone else that gives a shit. You know what im talking about, even being a short cheap game it had beautiful art design, decent writing up till the end of the first half, interesting encounter design on the second half, good if a bit shallow characterization, a great musical score (some peope dont seem to think so, but some people can go fuck themselves) and a lot of cool concepts not being executed in an overly shitty fashion.
And even this lukewarm impression of the game puts it so far above anything the AAA industry has released in the last couple shitty years that YES, if it is a sign of the direction of things to come, it is definitively a possitive sign.

Scruffy

Ex-janitor
Patron
Codex 2012 Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014
which is why it's better to wait for something one can actually call a game, before hailing kickstarter as the savior of the genre. Come on, you can do this.

Oh shut up you insufferable cunt, go taunt CF or someone else that gives a shit. You know what im talking about, even being a short cheap game it had beautiful art design, decent writing up till the end of the first half, interesting encounter design on the second half, good if a bit shallow characterization, a great musical score (some peope dont seem to think so, but some people can go fuck themselves) and a lot of cool concepts not being executed in an overly shitty fashion.
And even this lukewarm impression of the game puts it so far above anything the AAA industry has released in the last couple shitty years that YES, if it is a sign of the direction of things to come, it is definitively a possitive sign.

it's an opaque and average-y game at best, with average and opaque combat that never really challenges you thanks to shit AI, a linear plot with no exploration whatsoever, good art, shit dialogues and zero or close to zero replayability. It's the fat chick at the party with a sort-of-cute face. What i'm saying is: your standards are low.

Cowboy Moment

Arcane
If CDPR made it, it would just be one long sex cutscene with guns and mutants...so, yes, probably. :M
but it was bogged down by everything that made Fallout 3, well, Fallout 3
That probably had a lot to do with it. It felt more like a spoof of a Fallout game than a real Fallout game. I don't know. Again, it's been a long time since I've picked it up. I probably am being a little hard on the game, but when you get called a retard it tends to make you want to be a little rude and over-the-top in return. Also, I really can't remember that much truly enjoyable content and that says something about the game in my opinion. I have plenty of memorable moments from Fallout, Arcanum, TOEE, and even Bloodlines - for all its brokenness - but NV left me feeling generally underwhelmed. Again, I'll say that I prefer Obsidian's take on the game to Bethesda's, but being good compared to shit isn't all that much to brag about.

Akratus, kindly go fuck yourself and die. thanks.

To me, New Vegas is proof that the choice of perspective and scope in an RPG is extremely far reaching. New Vegas would've made a pretty decent actual Fallout 3 if it had been produced with an isometric perspective with turn-based combat, discrete locations and overworld map with free travel. The writing, overarching plotline, quest and location design, all measure up to Fallout 2.

However, the necessity to implement all this in Gamebryo with an open world, with core systems inherited from Bethesda, managed to bog down all the good parts to the point where they don't seem as good anymore.

Fundamentally, I think, the problem is that the original Fallout's design doesn't mesh very well with a Beth-style open-world. In Fallouts 1 and 2, you'd spend most of your time in human settlements, or unique dungeon-like locations. In NV, you spend it walking across a desert, settlements are cordoned off because consoles, and there are barely any people populating them. It just feels wrong, somehow. I've yet to finish NV, I got quite far, and I can see a lot of good in the game, but ultimately it just feels wrong and I abandon it. I think that's why there are people out there who like Fallout 3 more than New Vegas; the former, while overall much worse, is a lot more consistent in its "explore the wasteland and do weird/cool stuff" design principle, while the latter just feels disjointed.

it's an opaque and average-y game at best, with average and opaque combat that never really challenges you thanks to shit AI, a linear plot with no exploration whatsoever, good art, shit dialogues and zero or close to zero replayability. It's the fat chick at the party with a sort-of-cute face. What i'm saying is: your standards are low.

Does the bolded word mean something else in GD than the rest of the world?

Also, the lack of challenge isn't a result of bad AI so much as the NPCs being unfairly gimped (only being able to attack once per turn, among other things). But I can see how you could miss that with all the opacity clouding your view.

Last edited:

Lhynn

Arcane
And what im saying is: my standards have been lowered, ill take what i can get and it was definitely incline. What im saying is that the fat chick at the party with a sort-of-cute face is good enough if she is the only chick at the party.

Broseph :bro:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom