Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Bethesda about to announce Fallout 4?

Poxmaster

Novice
Project: Eternity
Its worth noting that Skyrim announcement trailer was released on the 12th of December 2010 announcing the release of Skyrim on the 11.11 2011. So, it was almost a year between announcement and release of the game. Releasing the game just before the holidays 2014 is a sure way to get a lot of sales and if nothing else Bethesda and ZeniMax loves to make money.
I am confident that they will announce Fallout 4 in December. Given the release of fallout 3 in October 2008 and Skyrim in November 2011 a fallout 4 in late 2014 seems reasonable.

deuxhero

Arcane
I got caught picking someone's pocket right outside Solitude and decided to go to jail for a few hours rather than destroy the guards. I was taken to the jail in the city and when I left everyone was talking to me about the execution even though I'd entered the city without without witnessing it. So while you can't save him you don't have to watch him die :smug: Skyrim ftw

Worse, if you avoid Solitude until finishing the stormcloaks, the game can't decide if the execution took place or not. Some people talk as though you saw it, some (properly) don't mention it at all.

According to Imperial law he was accessory to the crime of High Treason which is capital crime in Tamariel;
Nobody gives a shit about stupid guido law, if you prefer the superior nords then you should be able to slaughter all of the guido fucks like in NV.

NV > Skyrim. What makes it way worse is how stupidly overpowered you are, I'm chosen one the undefeatable who can fly dragons, but I can't stop an execution, or kill an npc because they want me to fetch a pail of water for them later. Skyrim sucks at letting the pc be powerful, and really, that's the only thing the game does, it's all about being the bawse, but 90% of characters are essential.

a cut of domestic sheep prime

Actually that quest is the poster child of Skyrim's dumb quest design. The quest may have a neat bit of branching towards the end, but it's also a perfect example of the awful quest design that pervades the game. I had discovered the murderer before the quest had even started by pickpocketing Calixto's key and finding his diary. But the game didn't let me do anything with it then nor after the quest had started. I had to follow the scripted quest stages to catch the murderer even though I knew with proof who it was all along. So while the game doesn't artificially restrict the player from approaching problems the way he wants, it also doesn't recognise anything that doesn't fall into its scripted linear quests. An illusion of open-ended quests.
bingo. i did the same thing.

Commissar Draco

Codexia Comrade Colonel Commissar
Patron
Insert Title Here Strap Yourselves In Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2
They talk as if you had seen it, though. You also don't get to see the execution if you come to Solitude from the side entrance.

-

@Commissar, that's like blaming the random passerbys who didn't buy one of Hitler's shitty paintings for the holocaust.

:troll:

You can for sure blame the Vienna Art Academy for not admitting him in; his paintings after all are better than cubist shit which was hip those days; so as always Comrade:

gif-jews-cristiano-ronaldo-soccer-249614.gif

:troll: also check the :troll: after Skyrim >>> FNV

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
Er... all of Skyrim's quests are shitty. Little more than MMO style MacGuffins to shuttle you around from one cave to another.

Lhynn

Arcane
No Draco, its never ok, even in sandbox. MMO quest design is literally the apex of decline... they arent even that mmoish by design tho, just shitty and linear (MMO quest design is also nonsensical and forced down your throat)
Fucking breaking nobles out of fortresses like mount and blade is OK from an open box perspective, thats the stuff they should have focused on, less meaningless quests and more reactivity.

himmy

Arcane
his paintings after all are better than cubist shit which was hip those days;

During the years when Hitler was being rejected from the Academy (1907 - 1908), Cubism was in its very incipient years and was not, in any way, "hip those days", with just a few works by Picasso and Braque dating from that time hinting at the current that will later become Cubism.

:obviously:

If date format was enough to derail this thread, than surely art history will take it completely out of its route :troll:

Last edited:

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
Personally I don't care about quest design in games like Skyrim. They're glorified dungeon crawlers and it's neat enough to go exploring (despite the lack luster itemization and enemy variety) for 40 or so hours worth of playtime. Whenever they tried to do some grand quest like siege a fortress or 'army' vs 'army' stuff it turns out derpy with half a dozen stupid AI attacking another half dozen stupid AI. I expect nothing else from Fallout 4 and I'm sure it'll be entertaining for the pittance I'll buy it at.

Lhynn

Arcane
Personally I don't care about quest design in games like Skyrim. They're glorified dungeon crawlers and it's neat enough to go exploring (despite the lack luster itemization and enemy variety) for 40 or so hours worth of playtime. Whenever they tried to do some grand quest like siege a fortress or 'army' vs 'army' stuff it turns out derpy with half a dozen stupid AI attacking another half dozen stupid AI. I expect nothing else from Fallout 4 and I'm sure it'll be entertaining for the pittance I'll buy it at.

NEWS-quotation-marks.jpg
exploring
Right-quotation-mark.jpg

Theres literally a single place you CAN explore, and thats the labyrinth. everything else is just a corridor that leads to a door that leads to the entrance of said corridor.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
Semantics. It's not fucking Louis and Clark. Like I said, it's a dungeon crawler and you go spelunking.

Necroscope

Arcane
Codex 2014
The problem is that there's no point in exploration in the first place unless you're likely to find something worth your effort down in the dungeons. Without unique items, interesting quests or challenging enemies what's there worth "40 or so hours of playtime"? On my top list of fun things to do running around aimlessly and staring at all the same looking walls is right next to puking.

Necroscope

Arcane
Codex 2014
Well I don't like the idea of playing a mod platform; to me mods are cool if they improve a good game, NOT when installing them turns into "build your own game" aka square the circle. Mods are often bugged, poorly balanced or simply incomplete, hence I don't trust them enough to overhaul gameplay mechanics with them.

Spectacle

Arcane
Patron

NEWS-quotation-marks.jpg
exploring
Right-quotation-mark.jpg

Theres literally a single place you CAN explore, and thats the labyrinth. everything else is just a corridor that leads to a door that leads to the entrance of said corridor.
You somehow failed to notice the large areas of explorable wilderness in Skyrim?

Lhynn

Arcane
You somehow failed to notice the large areas of explorable wilderness in Skyrim?
Nope, i just failed to find anything new or interesting in them. Level scaled enemies with level scaled loot everywhere, not a huge variety of them, boring linear dungeon design. Have you played the game? i mean, go play exile and then youll learn what exploration means and youll take offense at anyone saying skyrim has worthwhile exploration.

undecaf

Arcane
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2
Would be well and good if there ever was an incentive (reason and reward) to explore other than self imposed busyworking or a Livingstone LARP (which could practically be the same thing).

Spectacle

Arcane
Patron
Nope, i just failed to find anything new or interesting in them. Level scaled enemies with level scaled loot everywhere, not a huge variety of them, boring linear dungeon design. Have you played the game? i mean, go play exile and then youll learn what exploration means and youll take offense at anyone saying skyrim has worthwhile exploration.
There's still stuff to find. Small things tell stories about what a place is and what has happened there in the past. Sure, if you're looking for loot you'll not find much, but if you want to learn about the world there is plenty to see.

Last edited:

Commissar Draco

Codexia Comrade Colonel Commissar
Patron
Insert Title Here Strap Yourselves In Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2
Well I don't like the idea of playing a mod platform; to me mods are cool if they improve a good game, NOT when installing them turns into "build your own game" aka square the circle. Mods are often bugged, poorly balanced or simply incomplete, hence I don't trust them enough to overhaul gameplay mechanics with them.

You can say ''often bugged, poorly balanced or simply incomplete'' about 99% of games released today; but if you try to rationalize your antipathy towards Skyrim be my guest; modability is the post Morrowind Bethpizda games last redeeming quality... forgot about not being Shrink Simulator/Cinematic shlong part.

a cut of domestic sheep prime

Skyrim had a ton of bugs, popamole combat and general quests/gameplay, the art and animations suck - though not as bad as Oblivion, there are no real consequences to your choices aside from the most superficial of changes, and the dialog and plot writing really sucks on the whole. (As does much of the voice acting. Tullius in particular really phoned it in at times and the novelty of hearing one of my favorite Battlestar actors is the only thing that made bearable.) That said, it felt more like Daggerfall that any Bethesda game since and the dungeon design is pretty decent - though they could do with not making there be only a few types of enemies in almost every one of them. More dangers and traps and less copypasta enemies. Mods make it playable and fun. 3 out of 5 - try harder, Bethesda.

Also, wat was this thread about again? :balance:

Last edited by a moderator:

Gerrard

Arcane
"It's a single player game, it doesn't have to be balanced!"

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom