Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Company News Bethesda buys the Fallout IP

M0RBUS said:
Anyway, so this all means that Bethesda has the right to do as many Fallout # as they please right? Not like before, when they only could do up to Fallout 5.
But now we get the fun of Fallout Travels: Wasteland, for the NGAGE and cell phone.

Cimmerian Nights

Liturgist
MountainWest said:
$5,750,000.00

Isn't that a hell of a lot of money for a game IP? Even more so for one which Bethesda, no doubt, will rape it into an unrecognizable heap of crap?
That's an awful lot of money for a franchise that's quite frankly, damaged goods. What assets are they really buying that will actually show up in a future game? Some concept art, a few legacy characters like Harold and the BOS? Without the creativity behind them it's just a flimsy facade.

Wasn't Fallout's rising from the ashes of Wasteland not proof enough that creativity, not licensing drives good game development?

taxacaria

Scholar
Cimmerian Nights said:
That's an awful lot of money for a franchise that's quite frankly, damaged goods. What assets are they really buying that will actually show up in a future game? Some concept art, a few legacy characters like Harold and the BOS? Without the creativity behind them it's just a flimsy facade.

Wasn't Fallout's rising from the ashes of Wasteland not proof enough that creativity, not licensing drives good game development?

Think of the MMO : $30.000.000 minimum financing, Bethesda gets 12% =$3.600.000

So : $5.750.000 - $3.600.000 = $2.150.000
and if the MMO brings more bucks, they've got the IP for free.

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer
Cimmerian Nights said:
What is this creativity you speak of?

Claw

Erudite
Patron
Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
Vault Dweller said:
Now the rape of Interplay by Herve Caen is complete.
Now the rape of Fallout by Todd Howard can begin.

Ahzaruuk said:
They're Making it an MMO? :shock:
Of course not. That would require competence.

I can't believe how Herve keeps this dead company running. He's virtually conjuring up money from nothing. You almost have to admire him.

Self-Ejected

Davaris

Self-Ejected
Developer
Amasius said:
Sovy Kurosei said:
Amasius said:
Fallout: The Final Rape.
icon_salut.gif

There will be no final rape of the Fallout license.
Nah, Fallout is finally dead (Dead, DEAD! Roofles!!!) now. Bethesda is only raping a rotting corpse. But I've heard they are great at necromancy. :evil:

While Interplay held the license, I held out hope that one day it would be licensed to a real CRPG developer. But now that Bethesda owns it lock stock and barrel, I’ve finally accepted that the Fallout franchise is dead. RIP dear Fallout.

Brother None

inXile Entertainment
Developer
taxacaria said:
Think of the MMO : $30.000.000 minimum financing, Bethesda gets 12% =$3.600.000

So : $5.750.000 - $3.600.000 = $2.150.000
and if the MMO brings more bucks, they've got the IP for free.

Hey, uhm, just for argument's sake...let's assume the MMO will never be made, and will certainly never bring in more bucks. I will boldly assume Bethesda's financial department made the same assumption.

Also, Bethesda gets 12% royalties. Last time I checked, you don't pay royalties over financing, you pay royalties over sales.

While Interplay held the license, I held out hope that one day it would be licensed to a real CRPG developer. But now that Bethesda owns it lock stock and barrel, I’ve finally accepted that the Fallout franchise is dead. RIP dear Fallout.

icon_salut.gif

ibo

Novice
Fallout is gone, they will deliver something from retards to retards :(

Grifman

Liturgist
Higher Game said:
If Fallout is worth so fucking much, why did interplay kill Van Buren? :cry:

Because they didn't have the cash flow to finish it. An asset that needs cash to be takend advantage of doesn't do you much good when you don't have the cash to take advantage of it.

Grifman

Liturgist
OccupatedVoid said:
This is definitely a day of mourning for us all. :cry:

RIP Fallout
icon_salut.gif

Why now? It's been dead since Interplay cancelled Fallout 3. This is just playing with the corpse. Did you really think it was going rise from the dead?

taxacaria

Scholar
Kharn said:
Also, Bethesda gets 12% royalties. Last time I checked, you don't pay royalties over financing, you pay royalties over sales.
I know, Brother None.
I've assumed that production will be cost-covering at least, what's not so far from reality last time I checked. :D

OccupatedVoid

Arbiter
I found out the storyline of Fallout 3:

Me said:
FALLOUT 3 STORY:

It is the year 2XXX, the world has successfully recovered from the nuclear fallout and is now full of lush forests and grazelands. However, the Mythic Nuke cult has opened Wasteland Gates all over the world. It is up to YOU to save the world before Irunes Turban comes to walk the Earth and nuke it again!

Joe Krow

Erudite
I don't see this as changing much. After Fall Out 3,4, and 5 no one else would have any interest in the IP anyway. No one making rpgs anyway.

The timing seems a little curious though. If they had waited untill FO3 was a hit they could have asked for more money. Of course its typical arrogance on Bethesda's part to make an offer as if it already were.

suibhne

Erudite
Joe Krow said:
The timing seems a little curious though. If they had waited untill FO3 was a hit they could have asked for more money. Of course its typical arrogance on Bethesda's part to make an offer as if it already were.

I don't fault Beth for making an offer; they'd be idiots not to, now that they've already committed to FO3. If anything, Herve sold them out on this - tho I'm sure they weren't too exercised about picking up the license before it appreciates post-FO3.

The timing isn't curious at all, if you consider the possibility that Herve might not have (nearly) enough dinero to produce the FO MMO that's going to save his career from gulag.

Sovy Kurosei

Erudite
I'm also wondering what would have happened to the license if Interplay went belly up. Like, would Bethesda still be able to sell Fallout 3 if the license was sold off to a company like Atari or Bioware? What about the options for Fallout four and five?

Micmu

Magister
Well, now it's time for Betshit to start shutting down fansites and to dispatch an army of guerrilla marketeers.
That's an excessive sum of money for a relatively unknown IP (to the Xbox audience). It'll be a slaughterhouse.

Zomg

Arbiter
The MMO stuff is probably just the fulcrum for some scam of Herve's.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom