Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Company News Bethesda buys the Fallout IP

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
So, that's the deal... they get royalties for the MMO developed by Interplay, and if Interpay doesn't manage to pull it off, they get the whole IP automatically. Now, with the full IP [excluding MMOs right now] they can do any console and handheld shit they wanna make. You know there are at least 3 Elder Scrolls games for mobile phones and handhelds. Games like this are low in production value and get quite some cash by luring fucking retards who think "Whoa it's something like FO3!" into buying them. And that deal certainly includes all kinds of merchandise, so expect to see a hell lot of Fallout t-shirts and beer mugs to be sold at Bethsoft's online store.

Now they can flood us with shit, as they got the full IP, not only with single player Fallout games.

Kingston

Arcane
I lack the wit to put something hilarious here
RIP.

Once the real-time/fps/oblivionwithguns press release about Fallout is made, I really hope everyone from the Codex, NMA, DC and what other sites there are go and tubgirl/goatse every single thread at the Beth forums.

I'm still in shock. I was ill for the last two days and couldn't even access the computer. And now I wish I had never got up.

Sob.. sob..

Mr.E

Novice
JarlFrank said:
So, that's the deal... they get royalties for the MMO developed by And that deal certainly includes all kinds of merchandise, so expect to see a hell lot of Fallout t-shirts and beer mugs to be sold at Bethsoft's online store.
Who the hell in their right mind buys a computer-related t-shirt anyway?

...Okay, I did say 'in their right mind', but clearly there must be some discrepancies between the uber-nerds who would wear a computer game t-shirt and the drooling masses who play Oblivion?

Sovy Kurosei

Erudite
Mr.E said:
...Okay, I did say 'in their right mind', but clearly there must be some discrepancies between the uber-nerds who would wear a computer game t-shirt and the drooling masses who play Oblivion?

Depends if it is a nice looking T-shirt or not.

I'm also wondering just what else could Bethesda do with this license. Like could they legally send out cease and desist orders to "rebel" fansites that have Fallout content on their website and force them to close down or remove all the Fallout related content?

taxacaria

Scholar
Bodysnatcher.jpg

The Body Snatcher

Plot Outline:A ruthless doctor and his young prize student find themselves continually harassed by their murderous supplier of illegal cadavers.

1945, starring :

Boris Karloff ... Cabman John Gray
Bela Lugosi ... Joseph
Henry Daniell ... Dr. Wolfe 'Toddy' MacFarlane
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0037549/

Hazelnut

Erudite
ibo said:
Fallout is gone, they will deliver something from retards to retards :(

I assume you mean "By retards, for retards" as a spoof of the old interplay "By gamers, for gamers"

It seems an awful lot of money to pay for the IP to me, but then thanks to Oblivicrap they have a shit tonne.

:cry:

Brother None

inXile Entertainment
Developer
Sovy Kurosei said:
I'm also wondering what would have happened to the license if Interplay went belly up. Like, would Bethesda still be able to sell Fallout 3 if the license was sold off to a company like Atari or Bioware? What about the options for Fallout four and five?

Nothing. I asked Pete, he said Interplay's status wouldn't have affected where the license went, Bethesda's right to make Fallout 3 and options for 4 and 5 would remain. Bethesda never had the right to sell that right, though, even if they could license it out.

I wonder how wise this decision by Bethesda will seem in a few years time. We'll have to wait and see.

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Mr.E said:

Just go to their online store and you can find all kinds of Oblivion accessoires. Mugs, shirts, baseball caps, whatever your ret-heart craves for. Completely retarted...

Beth knows how to press the last piece of money out of their knowledgeless little fanboys.
Which brings up another thing we will all hate, but which will happen so fucking certainly... heck, it would even be more possible that FO3 will be the best RPG ever than that Bethesda will not do this...

Downloadable Content which you have to pay for!

feta

Novice
Fallout MMO:

You see an old shaman, clearly eaten away by his years in the desert.
A piece of his left arm is missing, surely bitten off by a vicious gecko.
That deep black spot next to his ankle reveals he has had one too many meetings with roadscorpions, such are the dangers of the wasteland.

Yet, he proudly yields his spear and approaches you with the confidence and cunning of a wolf pack.

After studying you intensly for a moment, he opens his mouth and utters the worlds that will scar your world forever:

"ROFLCOPTER U N00B, MESS WITH THE BEST AND DIE LIKE THE REST".

aries202

Erudite
Actually, I'm a bit confused right now ---

In a thread over at http://www.rpgwatch.com Kharn did say that it was only the IP/license that Bethesda bought, not the assets.

However, I just assumed or thought that the IP and the assets were the same thing ??

stargelman

Scholar
aries202 said:

In a thread over at http://www.rpgwatch.com Kharn did say that it was only the IP/license that Bethesda bought, not the assets.

However, I just assumed or thought that the IP and the assets were the same thing ??
That was in 2005. NOW they have bought the "IP" and licensed it to Interplay for their MMORP that'll never happen.

Araanor

Liturgist
So now they own the IP. Fallblivion 3, 4, 5, mobile and crackhead versions. Is there no end to the raping?

I guess X-Com and others have comparatively happy fates in being buried.

Zomg

Arbiter
I'm wondering if this was just money to keep Herve from doing a fire sale as soon as FO3 came out to every company that wanted to shit out Fallout: Subtitle games on the Wonderswan and ruin any brand capital Beth builds up.

Kuato

Liturgist
Does this mean they own Fallout 1 and 2 and could possibly make any changes they want to the classic games, like making them teen rated or something and then re releasing them with somekind of crappy Bethesada makeover. uggh!

Briosafreak

Augur
aries202 said:

They already had the most part of the assets, so what's new is the fact they now own the IP.

Obsidian will remain with their share of Fallout assets they bought from Herve.

Krafter

Scholar
I'm away for a few days, only to come back to this? Oh man.

RIP Fallout
icon_salut.gif

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom