Official Codex Discord Server

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

Bethesda NEVER Understood Fallout

Discussion in 'Bethesda Game Studios' started by Infinitron, Jan 27, 2020.

1. Infinitron I post news Patron

Infinitron
    Grab the Codex by the pussy Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker

• Brofist x 25
    • Old x 7
    • Agree x 5
    • I found this text to be too long and as such I didn't read it x 4
    • Friendly x 3
    • Shit x 2
    • incline x 1
    • Thanks! x 1
    • Salute x 1
    • Informative x 1
    • retadred x 1
    • Disgusting! x 1
    ^ Top  
  2. sullynathan Arcane

sullynathan
    Might watch since it isn't even that long.

• I found this text to be too long and as such I didn't read it I found this text to be too long and as such I didn't read it x 1
    • :M :M x 1
    ^ Top  
  3. Unkillable Cat Prestigious Gentleman LEST WE FORGET Patron

Unkillable Cat
    Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy
    tl;dr Interplay/Black Isle designed Fallout 1(& 2) on the idea that 1997-people imagined how people in 1950 would envision 2077, then nuke.dat shit, fast-forward 80 years and see what kind of post-apocalyptic society would arise from the ashes.

Bethesda imagined how 2077 would look like if the 1950s culture stuck around for 130 years, then got nuked and people just moved into the ruins while retaining the 1950s culture.

In other words, Bethesda-era Fallouts are shit.

Last edited: Feb 3, 2020
    • Yes x 13
    • Brofist x 11
    • Agree x 8
    • Button x 1
    • incline x 1
    • meh x 1
    • When words are not enough x 1
    • Disgusting! x 1
    ^ Top  
  4. Fedora Master Arcane Patron

Fedora Master
    The fact that the Shi had better tech than the fucking Institute hundreds of years later always cracks me up. Someone didn't play much of the older games.

• Brofist Brofist x 5
    • Yes Yes x 4
    • Agree Agree x 2
    ^ Top  
  5. Infinitron I post news Patron

Infinitron
    Grab the Codex by the pussy Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker
    Here's the writeup: https://www.shamusyoung.com/twentysidedtale/?p=49123

• Brofist x 11
    • Agree x 3
    • Participation Award x 1
    • Funny x 1
    • I found this text to be too long and as such I didn't read it x 1
    • Thanks! x 1
    • Prestigious x 1
    • retadred x 1
    • (autism) x 1
    • :M x 1
    ^ Top  
  6. Edija Savant Patron

Edija
    Didn't really need a video to tell me that. Bethesda is not so different than Pyranha Bytes, they essentially make the same game everytime as well, just with a big focus on further simplification and popularization.

• Agree x 10
    • Brofist x 1
    • decline x 1
    • Yes x 1
    • WTF am I reading x 1
    ^ Top  
  7. Eyestabber Arcane Patron

Eyestabber
    PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
    Also, both fallout and fallout 2 showed humanity 's efforts to get back on its feet. The second game had places that looked...nice even, like vault city and shady sands 2.0.

In nu-fallout everyone turned into a lazy hobo that can't even be bothered to patch crumbling walls. For some reason.

• Agree x 15
    • Brofist x 5
    • Yes x 4
    • Rage x 1
    • Balanced x 1
    ^ Top  
  8. Alex betthurt

Alex
    I haven't played Fallout 3, actually, but I suspect you are probably right about everything you just wrote. Still, this seems kind of a minor gripe; I mean, of course not understanding the setting material is bad and will result in a worse game. But the real issue, I think, should be whether they understood Fallout gameplay and design philosophy. If they had done that, Fallout 3 could have been a good game even if rather flawed in the storytelling department.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
    ^ Top  
  9. JarlFrank I like Thief THIS much Patron

JarlFrank
    Secret Lab of the Warrior-Magus of Esoteric RPGism
    Yeah, Fallout 3 is just ruins and rubble everywhere, 200 years after the war. Realistically, most of the safe-to-visit areas would be cleared of rubble by now, new buildings would have been erected with salvaged old bricks or concrete blocks rather than the simple wooden boards and sheet metal shacks we find in Megaton, and there'd be plenty more farming than we see in that game (is there even any farming at all? How do the communities in Fallout 3 produce food?).

Fallout 3's terrible assets are also the greatest weakness of New Vegas. NV built up proper societies and settlements, but most of the buildings still look like they haven't been maintained for a century due to Fallout 3's terrible textures. The city of Vegas should look a lot cleaner and more well-maintained than it does. It's a fucking tourist trap, after all.

Just compare how New Reno looks:
    [​IMG]

To New Vegas which has a huge fucking hole in the main road, in the middle of the strip, the city's main attraction:
    [​IMG]

• Agree x 18
    • Brofist x 10
    • Prestigious x 2
    • Funny x 1
    • Yes x 1
    ^ Top  
  10. MWaser Learned

MWaser
    Show Spoiler
    No shit, sherlock

• Brofist Brofist x 5
    • Cheers!! Cheers!! x 1
    ^ Top  
  11. agentorange Arcane Patron

agentorange
    Codex 2012
    Let's all clap and cheer that the random Youtube Man made a video about a topic we all know, agree with, and have discussed a thousand times over with more depth than any moron on youtube could muster.

• Agree x 13
    • Brofist x 5
    • Funny x 4
    • Yes x 4
    • Acknowledge this user's Agenda x 3
    • rolleyes x 2
    • Edgy x 1
    • Rage x 1
    • Despair x 1
    • butthurt x 1
    • it is a mystery x 1
    • Excited! x 1
    • :M x 1
    ^ Top  
  12. sullynathan Arcane

sullynathan
    Video was pretty boring and longer than I thought. It was shandification 2.0 without brevity or wit.

At this point, I'm a lot more interested in new Vegas critiques because everyone seems to like it in spite of its huge flaws in your face and under the hood. At least, that will be new material.

• Brofist Brofist x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
    ^ Top  
  13. InD_ImaginE Magister

InD_ImaginE
    Serious question. In a world lacking a cement industry what adhesive you would use to build stuffs from old bricks or concrete?

• retadred retadred x 7
    • not sure if serious not sure if serious x 1
    • it is a mystery it is a mystery x 1
    ^ Top  
  14. HeatEXTEND Cipher Patron

HeatEXTEND
    :hero:

• Funny Funny x 3
    ^ Top  
  15. JarlFrank I like Thief THIS much Patron

JarlFrank
    Secret Lab of the Warrior-Magus of Esoteric RPGism
    I dunno, but Romans and medieval people managed to build with bricks and considering many books and computers survive in Fallout, the techniques of creating adhesives wouldn't be lost in post-apoc America.

The buildings of Shady Sands also look like they were made with some kind of concrete, bricks or stone:

[​IMG]

• Brofist Brofist x 4
    • Agree Agree x 4
    • incline incline x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
    ^ Top  
  16. FEDSMOKER herksmoker fedfucker Patron

FEDSMOKER
    this short video essay isn't bad, but the specific topics it covers has been discussed over and over again to death here and at NMA

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Despair Despair x 1
    ^ Top  
  17. Mark Richard Arcane

Mark Richard
    Like any successful company, Bethesda understands that fanboys are like Liches - they'd happily pay any price to relive their cherished memories for all eternity. So an original IP is bought, a sequel is commissioned, and everything about it is designed around nostalgic marketability. 'Remember The Brotherhood? Remember Super Mutants? Remember Deathclaws?' the tour guide says as he leads you through what remains of a once great series. The song has become a continious noise, devoid of any finality or change that would give the previous note meaning. Time has simply been suspended. You won't die. But you won't live either.

Whew, I'm in a mood today.

• Brofist x 7
    • Despair x 5
    • Creative x 3
    • Funny x 1
    • Agree x 1
    • Salute x 1
    ^ Top  
  18. Alphons Learned

Alphons
    Shady Sands and Vault City were both constructed with materials and manuals provided by Vault- Tec for every Vault.

I'm not really bothered by architecture in Fallout 3/4 as there far bigger problems with those games.

Considering how Institute is just a bunch of evul pranksters living underground (releasing Supermutants, swapping humans with their synth clones and making synthetic gorillas just for shit and giggles) it doesn't surprise me at all.

^ Top  
  19. InD_ImaginE Magister

InD_ImaginE
    Yeah I am looking for some alternative adhesive used in history as well.

But in case of cement, even with the knowledge, it would be very hard to produce in Fallout like world. I've worked in a cement plant and it requires incredibly high temperature to make. I think the one I worked at have operating temperature of 800 - 1200 degree Celcius which is impossible in post-apocalyptic world of fallout. I guess you would have plasma cells, but producing cement without the proper industrial equipment would be hard.

Last edited: Jan 28, 2020
    • Informative Informative x 7
    • retadred retadred x 5
    • I found this text to be too long and as such I didn't read it I found this text to be too long and as such I didn't read it x 1
    • Makes you think... Makes you think... x 1
    ^ Top  
  20. Mystic_Quest Learned

Mystic_Quest
    More like, 'Remember all those good memories? Watch us take a shit on them every time we release a fallout, until everything is completely covered in shit and there's nothing there to remind you of them anymore'.
    I know I'll get a lot of shit for this, but F3 wasn't completely covered in shit yet and was salvageable by mods. F4 is so deeply covered in shit, that nothing can really be done, and with F76 shit finally hit the fan and they managed to cover themselves in shit too.

• Despair Despair x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • incline incline x 1
    • Yes Yes x 1
    ^ Top  
  21. InD_ImaginE Magister

InD_ImaginE
    • Yes Yes x 3
    • Brofist Brofist x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    ^ Top  
  22. Turuko Learned

Turuko
    Mind you that mortar is more important for the distribution of weight than for its adhesive property

• Informative Informative x 4
    • Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  23. frajaq Arbiter

frajaq
    bethesda still making nerds seethe for 12 years

cant get over it! Sad!

• Funny x 7
    • Up Yours x 1
    • decline x 1
    • Makes you think... x 1
    • butthurt x 1
    • Disgusting! x 1
    ^ Top  
  24. Mystic_Quest Learned

Mystic_Quest
    Will get over it just fine when they go under.

• Brofist Brofist x 6
    • Yes Yes x 3
    • incline incline x 1
    • Deus Vult Deus Vult x 1
    ^ Top  
  25. rusty_shackleford Arcane

rusty_shackleford
    isn't it fairly well known that Fallout is a post-post-apocalyptic game but Bethesda reimagined it as just a meh post-apocalyptic game?

• it is a mystery it is a mystery x 3
    ^ Top  

(buying stuff via the above buttons helps us pay the hosting bills, thanks!)