Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Bethesda to develop and publish Fallout 3?

triCritical

Erudite
Ausir said:
What if Bethesda's FO3 = The Fall? Remember how Carsten was talking about a mysterious publisher he has for FO3? And remember how Bethesda renamed Sea Dogs 2 to Pirates of the Carribean when it got the license?

PotC was going the way of the sell out way before PotC. Truly unfortunate. As for the Fall, well the Fall isn't quality, and internally developed Bethesda CRPG's normally have quality. No offense Fall developers.

triCritical

Erudite
Major_Blackhart said:
Well, I can guess this game wont be turnbased

Any proof? I think if they use the Netimmerse like Freedom Force, it might not be to difficult to do TB. I really hope that they think this over quite a bit before they decide against it.

Major_Blackhart

Codexia Lord Sodom
Patron
I'd really hate for us to get into an argument over FO with those "weekend gamers" types over on those forums. We'd all get banned.

Araanor

Liturgist
triCritical said:
I think if they realize that the strengths of Fallout were with the almost tactical combat, social interactions, and post apocalyptic themes, they might do it justice.
That's a bunch of big ifs.

Anyone remember the controversy over just about anything discussed over Van Buren? They were Black Isle. A lot of the BIS folks loved Fallout and some of the developers of FO1/2 were still around. BIS had FO2, PS:T and the IWDs (merit discussable) under their belt.

Bethesda has, what, an executive producer who states that he is overjoyed over the opportunity? They have Daggerfall, Battlespire (huurrgggh) and Morrowind under their belt.

What would they get right? I have grave doubts.

Sirus

Liturgist
I would post a link to there forums. But I think you guys would tear them to pieces.

Jed

Cipher
We have to get the TB thread started now to make clear the grave consequences of an RT FO.

triCritical

Erudite
xJEDx said:
We have to get the TB thread started now to make clear the grave consequences of an RT FO.

My combat thread on Lionheart, was the longest thread that forum ever saw. I want to beat that by at least 2x.

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer
plin said:
I agree. Jumping to conclusions that it will be just like morrowind is stupid. Just because morrowind is like that doesn't mean they will make FO3 the same. I mean the lead designer says it's one of his favorite games, you would think he knows what makes it special.
What did you expect? "We just bought this Fallaut license, and we think that the game would be awesome. Like MW only with gunz!!111!". Press-releases are traditionally full of shit.

I say just wait before you damn it, but I guess that's not how the codex/hardcore CRPGists work.
First, the ES style is pretty much the opposite of the FO style, so it's safe to assume that Bethesda doesn't have a clue how to make FO3. Second, the last game in their series was seriously dumbed down for the sake of the console version. Third, it was very well received, so we will have "don't fix what aint broken" mentality here. Fourth, PotC story. So, overalll, I see no reason for optimism and giving Bethesda benefits of the doubt.

DemonKing

Arcane
By this stage I believe that the Fallout Licence is cursed.

Bethsheba will quickly pump out a Morrowind style FO game for X-Box but just as they are about to announce FO3 officially for the PC they will go belly up and the fans are once again left in limbo with nothing but a bit of concept art that looks mysteriously like a hairy deathclaw posted on NMA a month after the Betsheba studios closure.

Lemon

Arcane
From the Bethesda Website

"Morrowind was originally conceived during development of Daggerfall. It was to be called Tribunal and set in Summerset Isle. It was then redesigned after Daggerfall to use a new SVGA version of the XnGine (later used in Battlespire) and feature the entire province of Morrowind, not just the subsection of Vvardenfell where the final game actually takes place. The original story featured all 5 houses of the Dark Elves, including your ability to join House Indoril and House Dres. The original design also featured the progressive expansion of the Blight, cities being destroyed, armies marching, along with the return of Dagoth-Ur. Overall, it was much closer to Daggerfall in scope, setup, and gameplay style. We decided it was simply too much to create and that the technology was too akin to Daggerfall, so the project was put on hold in 1997."

BonsaiBuick

Novice
It's being discussed on the ES forums.

here

There's lots of talk in the various forums on teh site but mostly in the general area in the 'Fallout 3' thread.

mr. lamat

Liturgist
they'll be inhereting the special system and what was built of the current engine at BIS.

companies don't break what's broken, true, but they don't really mess with inherited product either. there may be parts of fallout that will resemble the ES series, most likely in character art and models. possibly the layout of screens and the game being x-box compatible as well. none of those are particularly terrible prospects.

to say they'd move away from the solid selling features of the original title is premature as well. to think that they'd aquire a relatively small and unknown license for a... eight year-old game and hope that a new generation of action junkie console kiddies would jump all over it is a little naive.

will it be a tim cain/chris avellone fallout? no.

will it morrowind with post-apoc skins? gawd no.

let things develop and let information come out before you head over to bethesda's boards and start ruckus for the simple sake of hearing yourselves freakout.

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Pretty Princess Glory to Ukraine
How many links to the same forum a row do we need, people? :roll:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom