Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Bethesda to develop and publish Fallout 3?

plin

Liturgist
Here's a post by a beth developer on that FO3 topic in the TES forums:

"
My 3 cents (I'll throw the extra one in for the sake of it)....

Being a developer at Bethesda, I am also a big Fallout fan. I played all of the titles from FO1 to FOBOS. Not so much a fan of FOBOs or FOT, but I did play them through. To this day, FO1 is still in my top 5 fav games, not just RPGs. The campy humor, the grotesque action, and the integrated pop culture, as well as Pip Boy (can't leave THAT out!) are what allow FO to stand out from other titles. I agree, without these, it is simply NOT FO.

Now, the fact is, this news is just that.... NEWS. I have known about this for some time now, and I have been excited about it since the deal was still in the making. I AM a fan of FO. Who better to have working on a game than a FAN.... someone who knows the game, knows what it's about, knows the mood, knows the setting and atmosphere. Now, as a new development even here in the office, it's still quite a welcoming shock and we are ALL eager to be a part of it. I can't put into words how much I am dying to be a part of it.

So, for all the existing Tes fans, welcome the FO fans. Everyone has their opinions about titles and developers.

For the FO fans joining us, give it a chance. Everyone (well, I really speak for myself) here is excited about this opportunity and it is talked about quite a bit.

And for all, let's keep it cool. As everyone who has been here for a long enough period of time knows, we developers listen to what the fans have to say. The forums are our link to hearing your thoughts and input on aspects of the titles.

Did I mention how hyped I am about this?"

So, again, I recommend instead of bitching, and judging early, try to help the situation by posting what you want.

Spazmo

Erudite
Grateful? Grateful? Why the hell should I be grateful that a developer that I despise is making the next game in a series I love? I've been waiting for a sirloin steak for six years and now I should roll over and wag my tail when I'm offered (at best) a paper-thin burger?

That's fucking ridiculous. Now, okay, we know nothing yet and it's only fair to wait for some real information about the game before I get really angry, but nonetheless, Bethesda is a really terrible developer. Their games suck. They are not good. Why should I be excited or--ha--grateful when it's announced that such a company is making the sequel to my most beloved of series.

Well, screw it. I agree with evilmonkey and have arrived at the conclusion many of the most dedicated fans hit some time ago: FO is dead. Doesn't matter how many games they release in the series. Fallout died when people started realizing how bad FOT was.

Linedog

Novice
Role-Player said:
Actually, someone called Chaos One (which is strinkingly similar to Hades One, which i don't think is a coincidence) has badmouthed the Codex on the Bethesda forums. Some of your more enthusiastic forum buddies lashed out for some reason or other at the site.

From the ES forum:

By the GAWDS! Don't you know what you are getting yourselves into, Bethesda?!?!? Soon the people of RPG Codex and the NMA well be swarming your forums. I hope for your sakes you guys got a good langauge filter system.

I also hope you guys actually played Fallout 1 and Fallout 2. Skip the crap that is FOT and FOPOS. okay. Read the Fallout Bible put together by Chris Avellone. Lastly keep the game and the rules system that of the original Fallout or there will be nothing, I mean nothing, from stopping the hordes of Fallout fanatics from destroying your offices.

You have taken a huge undertaking and if you do it wrong there will be no mercy from the masses of Fallout fans that will descend upon your forums and you lives.

Good luck.

And:
I'm sorry bethies, but I don't think you will be able to pull Fallout off. C'mon, will you ever be able to copy that Fallout feeling, that Python-ish humour, ... The whole damn style and quirkiness of those games?... No one can do that but the original developers (Black Isle, right?) ... I won't even mention the violence, morbid humour and swearing in those games, which I don't think is something which will achieve commercial succes at this time. But nevermind that, Fallout was so much more then violence. I'm sorry, I just don't think you will be able to make Fallout 3 as amazing past two were.

Will there even be special encouters at least? ... And will you actually dare to put it in first person instead of the ussual isometric view? ... Visually stunning? Who cares, I want Fallout, I don't want shiny graphics. I'm sure other Fallout fans would agree. In fact, I would like to see the game in the same engine as it were before... Just a bit changed maybe, I don't feel like playing the same game again, heh.

I would like to believe you will be able to make Fallout an amazing game like 1 and 2 were, but I just don't think it's possible!

INTERNET2.0

Novice
Spazmo said:
Grateful? Grateful? Why the hell should I be grateful that a developer that I despise is making the next game in a series I love? I've been waiting for a sirloin steak for six years and now I should roll over and wag my tail when I'm offered (at best) a paper-thin burger?

That's fucking ridiculous. Now, okay, we know nothing yet and it's only fair to wait for some real information about the game before I get really angry, but nonetheless, Bethesda is a really terrible developer. Their games suck. They are not good. Why should I be excited or--ha--grateful when it's announced that such a company is making the sequel to my most beloved of series.

Well, screw it. I agree with evilmonkey and have arrived at the conclusion many of the most dedicated fans hit some time ago: FO is dead. Doesn't matter how many games they release in the series. Fallout died when people started realizing how bad FOT was.

Don't buy the fucking game then. All of you who are expecting Cliff Racer Hunter with gauss rifles are being ridiculous.

protobob

Liturgist
biggest problem with fps is the combat turns all 'actiony' like morrowind. Combat so shallow it doesn't even rise up to your ankles.

I predict riots in the streets before this is over.

Greenskin13

Erudite
My problem with when Devs say that they listen to their fans, it doesn't mean they'll listen to the core fans. There are people on the Beth forums that state they are fans of Fallout, but they would be psyched to see an FP Fallout.

Linedog

Novice
More From Chaos One on the ES:

Chaos_One
Novice

Reged: 07/12/04

Re: Fallout 3 [Re: khajiit_fan]
#2797431 - 07/12/04 05:43 PM Edit Reply Quote

Morrowind is not amazing. It is empty. It was like playing a single player MMORPG. Sure it had the exploration right, the graphics were stupendous, as well as the music, but in the end it was an empty shell of a game.

Sorry, I don't like shell games.

A decent developer for Fallout 3 would have been Obsidian with Troika being a close second. Obsidian peeps had bits of the original crew working on Van Buren, what was to be the real Fallout 3 and most of all Chris Avellone who has written the Fallout Bible. The primary source material that tells what is cannon and what isn't cannon in the Fallout setting.

Troika has the original designers and programmers of the original Fallout game, Tim Cain and his crew would made sure the original feel and style of Fallout would remain.

I am not saying that Bethesda doesn't have good people working on their games. I am just saying they haven't done anything that makes me believe they can make a good Fallout. I definitely feel sorry for them if they try to make it FP view like they did in Morrowind. They will most certainly will be ripped apart.

Post Extras:

Spazmo

Erudite
Poop, they can't reveal any details at all yet.

INTERNET2.0--what, now I'm not allowed to be angry about things? No, I (probably, I try not to box myself in too much) won't buy the game, but like I said, we've been waiting six damn years for a real sequel. FOT was a disappointment. FOBOS was... FOBOS. And now this? I guess I should be used to it by now, but just please don't tell me I'm not allowed to be unhappy about it.

Arkan

Novice
Oh, this is most joyous news!

No, really....

It's hard not to judge BethSoft on past titles...but nobody really knows untill they address the core issues.

Gromnir

Liturgist
Role-Player said:
Actually, someone called Chaos One (which is strinkingly similar to Hades One, which i don't think is a coincidence) has badmouthed the Codex on the Bethesda forums. Some of your more enthusiastic forum buddies lashed out for some reason or other at the site.

well, to be fair, from what little we has seen, vis is saying that the majority o' codex and nma folks would be having a fit o' collective apoplexy 'pon hearing the news that bethesda were doing fo3.

*looks around the thread*

what is your complaint?

vis is a putz, but is hard to say that he is painting an unfair picture o' the codex/nma reaction.

as to his other comments... most of 'em sound like they coulda' been posted by somebody from nma or dac... 'cept that he notes that obsidian as 'posed to troika would be his first choice for developing fo3.

no biggie… we just wish that vis would just stick with one tag ‘as ‘posed to switching and making it seem like he is trying to be sneaky. is a little thing but integrity is built on lots o' little things.

HA! Good Fun!

Linedog

Novice
From a mature fan of Elder Scrolls games:
FrankHorrigan
Layman

Reged: 07/12/04

Re: Fallout 3 [Re: zingbat]
#2797599 - 07/12/04 06:23 PM Edit Reply Quote

I have serious reservations about this news. A couple of things to start of, i was playing TES:Arena when alot of the posters here where yet to be introduced to the joys of gaming, so i know what makes a TES game and i know how good they are, Redguard & Battlespire excluded.

Having said that Fallout is in a totaly different league then TES, you only to look at how fanticaly Fallout fans are to realize how SPECIAL-no pun intended:) it is. As good as Daggerafll, and slightly less good Morrowind are, they have a long way to go to hit Fallout standards. Fallout is rated mature, has adult situations and dialogue, contains strong violence, is isometic, is turn based, is slightly sci fi, have very strong dialogue, is truly non linear(not MW non linear- which is linear). Their has never been a bethesda game that comes close to those principals, hence why i personaly have reservations about this. Most of you people posting here probably havent played the 2 fallout games, in fact most of you probably havent evenplayed daggerfall or arena, so a bit of homework is in order before you start proclaiming how good a thing this is.

Just to repeat, Daggerfall is one of my favourite games of all time, Bethesda IMHO is in the top 5 pc developers, but i just dont think their the right people for Fallout.

Post Extras:

This most closely tracks with my own opinion of the matter. I see no way in hell Bethesda
can do justice to Fallout, despite the fact that I actually like their games. Something truly
revolutionary will have to occur in their design philosophy for them to pull this off.

Spazmo

Erudite
Yeah, Vis is pretty much spot on about our (or at least my, I'd rather not speak for anyone else as my foot fits best in my own mouth) reaction.

And INTERNET2.0, any other SA readers: While having Bethesda make the game does irk me considerably, what really gets my goat is that Troika Games could have gotten it but didn't. Ditto Obsidian. There were so many developers who could have made something really cool with FO3 but I just don't think Bethesda is it.

Dhruin

Liturgist
A short comment from Kathode (Gavin Carter, Assoc. Producer Bethsoft):
It''s not going to be Morrowind with guns, geez :)

I''ve played Fallout, I love Fallout. Todd has played Fallout, Todd loves Fallout.
Tons of people in the company have played and loved Fallout. If I find out they
haven''t played Fallout, I will make them :) People who think we will never
progress from Morrowind are going to be in for one hell of a wake-up call.

http://www.rpgdot.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?p=397552

Diogo Ribeiro

Erudite
Not much of a complain there, Gromnir. My point was to tell INTERNET2.0 that some people at 'his' forums did had a reaction that could be perceived as bashing. Some of them no doubt thanks to Hades' fake concern.

But in all fairness, aside my one word remark back there, i'm divided with the news. Personally i don't think Bethesda can do a good job if i take into account their design philosophies... but that isn't to say they can't do something else.

deus

Liturgist
Seeing what they did with Sea Dogs 2, it's hard to imagine that they would do something other than whatever would make them the most money even at the expense of quality or keeping true to Fallout.

Spazmo

Erudite
In all fairness there, while Bethesda surely isn't free of blame for Sea Dogs 2, it was the money Disney was throwing around that sparked that sudden change.

Basically, to modify any earlier positions and state myself more clearly now that I'm less really pissed:

I am disappointed that Bethesda got Fallout. I'd much rather another company had grabbed it. That said, maybe--biiiiiig maybe--they'll do something that's not completely worthless. But they had better demonstrate a clear understanding of the fact that if they want to make a REAL Fallout game, to give us the fanservice that we've been waiting on for so long (TORN wasn't it), they need to retain the core elements of the predecessors. More of the same? Hey, when "the same" is a cut above today's apparent best, that sounds pretty good to me.

Role-player: Apparently, everyone at Silver Style is a huge Fallout fan too... Well. Wait and see, but I'm pessimistic.

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Pretty Princess Glory to Ukraine
Bethseda has made 0 good games. I doubt this will be their first. Next.

I'll wait for DA.

I'll wait for KOTOR2.

i'll wait for Troika's next RPG *after* Vampire.

Heck, after this I might just buy vampire right away just because I can.

DamnElfGirl

Liturgist
I'm neither as big a Fallout fan nor as much of a Bethseda basher as many of you. I enjoyed Daggerfall until the bugs ate me and I'm still sloooowly working my way through Morrowind. It still seems to me that Bethseda and Fallout make a strange match. I'm taking a wait-and-see approach.

In the meantime, I look forward to much forum amusement.

Human Shield

Augur
It pisses me off that every reference to Fallout setting (including that Dev) is all about Python and pop-culture references, sex and violence. Why does Fallout 2 overwrite everyone's memories when talking about Fallout 1?

First screenshot : here

Isometric Graphics are crap. they aren't what made fallout great.

As for PC only, its pretty much agreed (isn't it?) that Morrowind was not compromised for consoles.

Turn based only? I don't understand. If there is a turn based only system and a baldurs gate style real-time pause system and both work well, what is the problem?

AAAAAAHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom