Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Bethesda's Fallout game, not named "Fallout 3"

7th Circle

Scholar
Section8 said:
These people would like to be able to play "a Fallout" to show that they too "like real RPGs" (just got a horrible vision of the post-Fallout 3 Bethsoft fanboy invasion...but that's another story...). However, since they don't actually like RPGs, Fallout: Oblivion will be perfect for them.

But wait, who are they proving their RPG cred to? The fucking Codex? Liking RPGs doesn't make you cool in anyone's books, so why try to prove the point?

Themselves primarily. A lot of people have inferiority complexes regarding those whom they perceive as elitist (and many people perceive Fallout fans as elitist).

Fallout is being targeted so that is dumbed down enough to engage the masses but still has some street cred (as being sophisticated) with the mainstream gaming sites. Combined with some graphic whoredom and exceptional reviews are in the bag already.

Anyone "sophisticated" enough to appreciate Fallout's finer points is invariably cynical enough to see through the litany of falsehood that is the gaming media. The gaming media are pretty much willing to lap any triple A title up, and offer excessive praise regardless of the intellectual property involved. It's all about who, and not about what. Bethesda, Bioware, Blizzard, id Software, Rockstar, et al could release a turd in a box and still get 110% review scores.

I didn't express myself very well here. What I was trying to say was:
- the mainstream media sees Fallout:Oblivion as sophisticated because of its "connection" to Fallout.
- They consequently give it a 95% instead of the 90% it would have otherwise got.
- The unelightened buy consequently buy even more copies.

Claw

Erudite
Patron
Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
stargelman said:
See, there's your problem right there.
No, THAT is not my problem. My problem is that noone is making a decent sequel to Fallout. My problem is that the only decent-looking sequel to Fallout was cancelled. My problem is that Bethesda aquired the rights to Fallout singleplayer games. My problem is that Bethesda sucks and Bethout will logically suck as well.
Wishing that maybe, one day this will change? That may be futile, but it's not my problem.

stargelman said:
You better get used to Fallout being gone for good. Everything else is wishful thinking.
Saying "OK, Fallout is dead." doesn't really do any good. It's like sitting in a corner whispering "We're all going to die. We're all going to die."

So you go sit in your corner of utter despair and I'll nurture my small fire of hope.

PS: This is the nice reply. If you reply with more foolishness, I'll edit it to reflect my initial reaction.

Grifman

Liturgist
TalesfromtheCrypt said:
Bethesda is admitting finally their target audience isn't capable of counting farther then 2. Ah well. Big surprise here..

Bethesda hasn't admitted anything since the article in question was writer speculation in a PC Gamer blog.

stargelman

Scholar
Claw said:
stargelman said:
See, there's your problem right there.
No, THAT is not my problem. My problem is that noone is making a decent sequel to Fallout. My problem is that the only decent-looking sequel to Fallout was cancelled. My problem is that Bethesda aquired the rights to Fallout singleplayer games. My problem is that Bethesda sucks and Bethout will logically suck as well.
Wishing that maybe, one day this will change? That may be futile, but it's not my problem.

stargelman said:
You better get used to Fallout being gone for good. Everything else is wishful thinking.
Saying "OK, Fallout is dead." doesn't really do any good. It's like sitting in a corner whispering "We're all going to die. We're all going to die."

So you go sit in your corner of utter despair and I'll nurture my small fire of hope.

PS: This is the nice reply. If you reply with more foolishness, I'll edit it to reflect my initial reaction.

Right old chap, don't get your knickers in a twist. Just making sure your hopes are as low as they can get. Because as mommy said: "Where there's hope, there's pain".

Besides, while I am a bit saddened, I generally do not sit in corners. I'd rather call it 'moving on'. After all, there's some small silver lining on the horizon.

Claw

Erudite
Patron
Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
stargelman said:
Right old chap, don't get your knickers in a twist. Just making sure your hopes are as low as they can get. Because as mommy said: "Where there's hope, there's pain".
So... you don't like pain, is that it? What's wrong with you?

gc051360

Scholar
It will be called are you ready?

Fallout

It's a remake, get it? What's the cheapest, hackiest, bullshit thing they could do?? A remake of course sillies. It's so obvious.

Blacklung

Arbiter
The geological, topographical, theological pancake
It really doesn't matter what they call it, the game is based on the East coast of the US. It would be doubtful that much of the West coast lore would even need to be carried over. Hell we don't even know if the vaults were made over there. Even though they may call it Fallout, it is actually a pretty smart move for Bethesda. They have the name, they have a setting, but they are choosing a location that allows them to severe their ties in a very subtle manner. Who the fuck cares what they call, I just want to see what they are going to do with what they have...Even if I'll be too involved with other things to even give a shit.

Texas Red

Whiner
I hope they wont add "Todd Howard's" to the actual title. Films and such with names before them look pretentious and self-indulgent.

Todd Howard's Fallout: Extreme to the Max :roll:

stargelman

Scholar
I'm beginning to think their scheme will involve lots of robots that're let loose by a mad enclave scientist who wants to rule the wastelands.

Koby

Scholar
stargelman said:
I'm beginning to think their scheme will involve lots of robots that're let loose by a mad enclave scientist who wants to rule the wastelands.

<PRE>Fallout <s> 3 </s> Resurged: enslave nations with <s>necromancy</s> robots. </PRE>

Texas Red

Whiner
stargelman said:

The mad scientist will have quasi-magical powers because of the radiation. Your character will as well, like in ME.

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
The Walkin' Dude said:
stargelman said:

The mad scientist will have quasi-magical powers because of the radiation. Your character will as well, like in ME.

You can shoot fireballs!
Oh, and you will be able to run around with a sword, killing things.
Either Pete "Propagandalf" Hines or Todd Dumbfuck Howard said that for him, roleplaying is running around with a sword and killing things. I wonder how they will make swords effective enough not to insult fanboys though. "OMG MY SWORD IS USELESS AGAINST A GUN, THIS IS IMBALANCED!!!"
Isn't that the reason why you were able to block with bows and why you could not be interrupted while aiming, not even when attacked wildly? Because stupid people said it would be imbalanced?

taxacaria

Scholar
A Terminator casting fireballs is ridiculous.
I had a terrible nightmare of Fallout 3 last night : Equipped with a super flamethrower and a mini-nuke-missile launcher I had to wipe out the last remaining radscorpions, deathclaws mounts, Pete&Todd-headed brahmins and complaining NMA-supermutants to collect the maximum amount of leveled water chips, while the Overseer was looking at his stop watch.
:(

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
taxacaria said:
I had a terrible nightmare of Fallout 3 last night : Equipped with a super flamethrower and a mini-nuke-missile launcher I had to wipe out the last remaining radscorpions, deathclaws mounts, Pete&Todd-headed brahmins and complaining NMA-supermutants to collect the maximum amount of leveled water chips, while the Overseer was looking at his stop watch.
:(

You know when you are a nerd when you dream of your games.

Or maybe it was not a dream, but... a vision?

Section8

Cipher

I wonder what the status of the Terminator license is. I'd be more inclined to believe Bethesda could make a Terminator RPG than a Fallout one.

Fez

Erudite
That last one is close to how I imagine they'd make one, but with more bloom.

kingcomrade

Kingcomrade
Edgy
I've had bad dreams about Starcraft a few times. NO MATTER HOW MANY ZERGLINGS I MADE THEY JUST KEPT DYING I COULDN'T WIN GOD DAMNIT :cry:

This is usually after playing Starcraft for like four or five hours straight with the "people" on #fallout then going to bed. :S

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom