Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Company News BioWare Donates To Charity

Hajo

Liturgist
Re: C'mon folks

dojoteef said:
Why don't you guys try to understand the arguments before making ridiculous statements next time.

Thinking hurts the head too much. Don't you know, it's way easier to let other people think for you ;)

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Pretty Princess Glory to Ukraine
"Why don't you guys try to understand the arguments before making ridiculous statements next time."

Next time, try to make ana rgument that makes sense and isnt retarded. NOT "BIo is evbil because they donated money and told people about it". Once again, according to you; it's better to donate and shamefully hide it. That's right.

To coutner argue your pathetic retardedness: Anyone who donates and doens't tell others about it are only doing it for the tax breaks and are to ashamed to admit that so hide the fact they donated.

R00fles!

Morons.

Jed

Cipher
I would just like to take this opportunity to announce that some months back I donated $25 to the RPG Codex fund. That's right, thanks to my sacrifice, the 'Codex has managed to stay on-line. I would also like to mention that I bought a book for my friend last night, just because I got paid and he's not doing too well financially. In addition, a couple of weeks ago me & my ladyfriend took out another couple that's friends of our and bought them dinner--just for the hell of it! Walking home from work yesterday, I also gave a homeless guy a couple of bucks. My support for the less fortunate rolls on!

Self-Ejected

dojoteef

Self-Ejected
Tank you Volour noh king of teh deabte team! Yu wow us wit your supariror entallect an dyour readng comprehenson! All bow to Volourns supramecy in log i cal debat!

Volourn

Pretty Princess
"I would just like to take this opportunity to announce that some months back I donated $25 to the RPG Codex fund. That's right, thanks to my sacrifice, the 'Codex has managed to stay on-line."

You are my hero... though; I'm still not playing NWN MP with you.

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer
Jed said:
I would just like to take this opportunity to announce that some months back I donated $25 to the RPG Codex fund. That's right, thanks to my sacrifice, the 'Codex has managed to stay on-line. I would also like to mention that I bought a book for my friend last night, just because I got paid and he's not doing too well financially. In addition, a couple of weeks ago me & my ladyfriend took out another couple that's friends of our and bought them dinner--just for the hell of it! Walking home from work yesterday, I also gave a homeless guy a couple of bucks. My support for the less fortunate rolls on!
Best point evar! Many people are side-tracked by the fact that it's a company, that donation is measured in thousands of dollars, that people in Asia really need help, and that it was, overall, a good thing to do. The point is, we don't issue a press-release (read as tell everyone) every time we buy someone a drink, help a friend move, or give someone money. Why should that be different?

Praises to Bio for donating, shame on them for hyping, but, hey, that's Bio.

Volourn

Pretty Princess
"Maybe you already have..."

Sadly, you *may* be right.

Let me rephrase it.. I won't willingly MP with you.

Dgaider

Liturgist
Developer
Vault Dweller said:
The point is, we don't issue a press-release (read as tell everyone) every time we buy someone a drink, help a friend move, or give someone money. Why should that be different?

Probably because nobody gives a shit whenever you buy someone a drink or help a friend move. I mean, you could send out a press release if you want, but who would run it?

If the media believes that there are people out there who would be interested, they want information on it. If nobody cared whether Bioware was involved in charity, you wouldn't have heard about it, press release or no. And THAT'S the point.

Of course, if I reserved a special loathing for all things Bioware in my heart, just about everything they said would cause my gorge to rise, too. But whatever.

Vault Dweller

Developer
Visbhume said:
It's a shame that your heartfelt acts of charity have gone unnoticed while Bioware gets all the credit. The next time some elderly person requires your help to cross the street, ignore him.
Jesus Fucking Christ, was that the point? It wasn't about giving money or not, it was about hyping. I specifically said that Bio did a good thing.

Vault Dweller

Developer
Dgaider said:
Vault Dweller said:
The point is, we don't issue a press-release (read as tell everyone) every time we buy someone a drink, help a friend move, or give someone money. Why should that be different?

Probably because nobody gives a shit whenever you buy someone a drink or help a friend move. I mean, you could send out a press release if you want, but who would run it?
Did you miss that part where I said "read as tell everyone"? Well, that was an analogy. You see, I don't think that people should actually issue press-releases about their daily activities, but I compared press-releases like the one in question to telling everyone about whatever good deed a person may have done. Pretty tricky, huh? You actually have to read it to get it, before you hit that reply button.

If the media believes that there are people out there who would be interested, they want information on it.
Thousand apologies, David. I think I misunderstood the whole thing. So, it was the media who believing that there are people who can't get enough reading about Bio, called you every day asking if you donated some money, until the good (spin) doctors said "fuck it, we are tired of this harassment, lets donate some money so that the media can run a press-release and leave us alone". Did I get that right?

If nobody cared whether Bioware was involved in charity, you wouldn't have heard about it, press release or no. And THAT'S the point.
Hey, it's the news business, people have got to post something.

Of course, if I reserved a special loathing for all things Bioware in my heart, just about everything they said would cause my gorge to rise, too. But whatever.
A special loathing? For all things Bioware? In my heart? But we love Bio, David. It's the hype that we sometimes have a problem with, but, hey, don't take it personally. It's not like you are in charge of PR or something.

Otaku_Hanzo

Erudite
I gave my cat a mouse toy today and she buried it in her litterbox alongside the smelly ass shit she had just taken. Just thought you should know.

Jesus christ, this thread is getting out of hand. Bioware donated to charity. There was a press release about it. We had some stimulating conversation because of this. Now we just need to move on.

Fez

Erudite
No! Let the bloodshed begin!

*chants* TWO MEN ENTER, ONE MAN LEAVES!

Sol Invictus

Erudite
VD you need to lay off the crack. Comparing some mundane daily activity to a large charitable donation is fucking inane.

dunduks

Liturgist
Exitium said:
Comparing some mundane daily activity to a large charitable donation is fucking inane.
Tell that to Mother Teresa, I think she would wholeheartedly agree that money is the only thing that counts as charity.

Volourn

Pretty Princess
"Jesus christ, this thread is getting out of hand. Bioware donated to charity. There was a press release about it. We had some stimulating conversation because of this. Now we just need to move on."

Otaku may be ignoring the Evil Volourn tm; but Otaku still posts like a genius in this thread nontheless.

MarFish

Liturgist
suibhne said:
Whether from laziness or boneheadedness, that was a bad play.

Wrong, any news is good news in the PR world - and it's not that anyone will listen to what the people on RPG codex think about it - the message that is transported to the masses is Bioware employees donated and the company matched their contribution. But the Codex has never been about the masses, it has been about how to best take a thread of any subject and degenerate it into a fest of childish name calling, r00fles and shut-up-I-know-better with the occasional exhibition of symptoms linked to rabies in late developement. Amusing, nice to watch but utterly without influcence on the world ouside the ivory tower - the world where nobody gives a shit about some people clinging to the "old days of RPG".

In related news, Bioware has assimilated the Obsidian boards, teaching Visceris and a few of his friends a valuable lesson about how pissing off people can come back - he's stuck now on a dying forum with a few other outcasts, can't even come back here and whines about evil Bioware destroying his life - classy.

Vault Dweller

Developer
Exitium said:
VD you need to lay off the crack. Comparing some mundane daily activity to a large charitable donation is fucking inane.
First, as been pointed out, it's about helping others. Second, what large charitable donation?

suibhne

Erudite
MarFish said:
suibhne said:
Whether from laziness or boneheadedness, that was a bad play.

Wrong, any news is good news in the PR world - and it's not that anyone will listen to what the people on RPG codex think about it - the message that is transported to the masses is Bioware employees donated and the company matched their contribution. But the Codex has never been about the masses, it has been about how to best take a thread of any subject and degenerate it into a fest of childish name calling, r00fles and shut-up-I-know-better with the occasional exhibition of symptoms linked to rabies in late developement. Amusing, nice to watch but utterly without influcence on the world ouside the ivory tower - the world where nobody gives a shit about some people clinging to the "old days of RPG".

May I recommend some actual reading comprehension? I think you might like it.

In your mouth-froth of anti-Codex irrationality, you appear to have missed that I was actually supporting Bioware and its charitable activities. I even noted that the press release, though slightly precious, was perfectly appropriate as press releases go. My comment you misappropriated, above, was specifically about using that press release as Bio's outreach to the internet community, the CRPG fanbase - not to "the masses" more broadly conceived. I suggested it was a bad play because any savvy PR flack could have predicted it would evince precisely the sort of indignation which arose here and in other fora.

In your crusade to paint the Codex as a land of irrelevant knee-jerk spite, you've inadvertently proven your own mastery of the territory.

Sol Invictus

Erudite
Vault Dweller said:
Exitium said:
First, as been pointed out, it's about helping others. Second, what large charitable donation?

325k isn't large or charitable? It's certainly a lot more than that 50 cents I gave to a panhandler the other day.

Vault Dweller

Developer
And that's one of the reasons that press-release was criticized. What 325k? Don't you mean 23K? 375k was RAISED not DONATED.

Sol Invictus

Erudite
375k wouldn't have been raised if not for Bioware. Think about it.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom