Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Company News BioWare is still alive

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Her obsession with hot gay elf sexytimes is fine,
She's not "obsessed" with gay elves, fuck off (Anders was the first gay romance she wrote, she wrote him that way because she was told to do so and it was Gaider's idea to have him actively hit on the PC). As Gaider said, anyone who insulted her has no clue what her job responsibilities are and that includes you. She's no better or worse than any of the DA writing staff. If it was about her "being bad at her job" they would have demanded all the writers fired.

Also when you insult someone with gendered slurs you're being sexist. Period. Don't give me any "They're just trying to push her buttons!" nonsense.

Brother None

inXile Entertainment
Developer
Anders was the first gay romance she wrote

From reviews I read her comic MITH heavily featured homosexual romance ("The story focuses homosexual relationships to a large degree (easy once every three pages)"). As it stems back from her pre-BioWare career and no one told her to write her comic book characters that way, well... But no doubt Gaider has a cover-up for that too?

Not that I've read MITH or played DA2, or ever will, haha. Read a quality comic instead, Fear Agent, retro-style sci-fi gunslinging with an intelligent rollercoaster of a plot (shameless plug)

As Gaider said, anyone who insulted her has no clue what her job responsibilities are and that includes you.

See? Thanks for proving my point about BioWare for me. Anyone who criticizes them "has no clue". The standard BioWare response. The only way anyone would insult her is on the basis of having no clue. Guess what? We don't have any clue about the exact job responsibilities of pretty much any writer/designer out there, and usually don't until years after the game. We still praise/criticize them.

She's no better or worse than any of the DA writing staff. If it was about her "being bad at her job" they would have demanded all the writers fired.

As stated, the problem with her being bad at her job was not that she's a poor writer. As you say, their writers are all kind of shitty. She became a lightning rod/easy scapegoat because she's a poor writer who disdains the industry she works in.

Also when you insult someone with gendered slurs you're being sexist. Period.

Sure, but not all sexism is equal, there is a difference between a boss who makes a joke about his employee's short skirt and the one who won't hire women at all because they're incompetent. They're both wrong, but they're not both equal.

And the question is, who brought sexism into the debate? Who went "they're jealous of my vagina"? Which, you'll note, was a highly sexist attempt to dismiss all criticasters as "forever alone" types. The thing you're ignoring is that Hepler being an ugly fat woman just gives people ammunition to fire at her, but it's not *why* people fire at her. If she was an ugly fat man instead, people would have gone "he's thinking with his cock" and "I bet he just writes this stuff so he has something to jerk off to". Is that less sexist? Somehow I think it wouldn't be seen as sexism, and the white knights would've kept their swords sheathed.

The distinction between why and how is pretty damn important, because it means that while I can and do scoff at the tone of criticism, that does not mean I can dismiss the criticism as a whole. This is something the braying game journalists that ran with this story and the company that was pulling their strings simply refused to accept, that there is in fact a big divide between why people were upset with her and how people were upset with her. It was a p cheap and easy trick to just focus on the tone of criticism and then handwave it away. Even better, the implication as a whole is that the detractors of BioWare are *all* typical internet assholes, loons and loners, and they should just be ignored.

Yeah, nothing wrong with that company culture at all. Just put on the blinders and KEEP ON RIDING. Cliff? What cliff? Only haters believe in the cliff.

Splitting writers and coders and designers isn't dubious at all; you're just less able to compensate when one faction sucks at their only task.

I believe BioWare is the only one that runs this as a development house model. Don't get me wrong, other videogames have brought in writers completely separately from designers to draft up the basic story or work on dialog, and the principle of that is alright. But what BioWare is saying by splitting them absolutely is that they feel story and gameplay are separate *in principle*. They may interact, but only on an incidental basis when separate departments coordinate it. You can say "that fits their design philosophy, then" and you'd be right, but, well, as someone who feels BioWare games are pretty damn mediocre and boring, this is what I feel lies at the heart of their problem.

circ

Arcane
She's not "obsessed" with gay elves, fuck off (Anders was the first gay romance she wrote, she wrote him that way because she was told to do so and it was Gaider's idea to have him actively hit on the PC). As Gaider said, anyone who insulted her has no clue what her job responsibilities are and that includes you. She's no better or worse than any of the DA writing staff. If it was about her "being bad at her job" they would have demanded all the writers fired.

Also when you insult someone with gendered slurs you're being sexist. Period. Don't give me any "They're just trying to push her buttons!" nonsense.
Oh, truly? Was she responsible for any bisexual characters, which doesn't sound unlikely as that's most of the party NPC's. We're not talking about well written characters, period. Hepler took the brunt of the force because she said some dumb shit about her critics, all Gaider did was get a toupee. Ok, I liked dwarf guy V-whatshisname. But that may have been attributed mostly to the VO as he had the occasional retardo lines too.

Was that sexist pray tell? VAGINA VAGINA PENIS PENIS

Kane

I have many names
Patron
Vatnik
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015

Roguey confirmed for helper alt.

Nothing wrong with sexism btw.

FeelTheRads

Arcane
Is that less sexist?

Keep in mind that Roguey retards thinks that the Annah leprechaun costume made for ST. PATRICK'S DAY is sexist, because the voice actor for Annah is not Irish. A leprechaun costume for Dak'kon would have been perfectly fine, I assume.
And obviously, sexism is only applicable to women.

Roguey, forever hungry for cock, never getting any.

PunkPkunk

Educated

What the hell is a "gender slur"?

A man can be as much of ignorant cunt as a woman, and a woman can be as much of a fuckhead as a guy(case and point).

Since when did having a cunt exclude biofags from trolling?

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Anders was the first gay romance she wrote

From reviews I read her comic MITH heavily featured homosexual romance ("The story focuses homosexual relationships to a large degree (easy once every three pages)"). As it stems back from her pre-BioWare career and no one told her to write her comic book characters that way, well... But no doubt Gaider has a cover-up for that too?

Not that I've read MITH or played DA2, or ever will, haha. Read a quality comic instead, Fear Agent, retro-style sci-fi gunslinging with an intelligent rollercoaster of a plot (shameless plug)
http://www.rpgcodex.net/forums/index.php?threads/lets-read-fear-agent-sci-fi-comic.76090/
I can't believe a so-called "games journalist" would fall for such transparent propaganda and even spread it himself. Oh wait, I can. :lol: There are no gay relationships in MITH. There's a single heterosexual kiss near the end. Furthermore, even if there were, the book was co-written by her husband Chris who might have very well had a thing for the queers in this hypothetical situation.

As Gaider said, anyone who insulted her has no clue what her job responsibilities are and that includes you.

See? Thanks for proving my point about BioWare for me. Anyone who criticizes them "has no clue". The standard BioWare response. The only way anyone would insult her is on the basis of having no clue. Guess what? We don't have any clue about the exact job responsibilities of pretty much any writer/designer out there, and usually don't until years after the game. We still praise/criticize them.

Ignorant praise/criticism is worthless as feedback. I read the twitter feed, I don't remember seeing any non-stupid complaints, just a bunch of moron homophobic sexists.

She's no better or worse than any of the DA writing staff. If it was about her "being bad at her job" they would have demanded all the writers fired.

As stated, the problem with her being bad at her job was not that she's a poor writer. As you say, their writers are all kind of shitty. She became a lightning rod/easy scapegoat because she's a poor writer who disdains the industry she works in.

...so it's jealousy after all? Okay. :)

Roguey confirmed for helper alt.
FYI I was the one who took the screencap of her twitter post and posted it on the 'dex knowing one of you 4chandex losers would spread it around and cause a shitstorm. I also think she's directly responsible for the drudgery of the Deep Roads due to her views on RPG combat but I assign equal blame to the the level designers in charge of creating those levels because I don't believe anything was stopping them from trying to create fun, creative content on their own as opposed to just lazily slapping down darkspawn group after darkspawn group aside from time (and if you have no time, you keep it quick).

Is that less sexist?

Keep in mind that Roguey retards thinks that the Annah leprechaun costume made for ST. PATRICK'S DAY is sexist, because the voice actor for Annah is not Irish. A leprechaun costume for Dak'kon would have been perfectly fine, I assume.
And obviously, sexism is only applicable to women.

Roguey, forever hungry for cock, never getting any.
IT'S A SETTING-BREAKING STRIPPER OUTFIT

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
annah_patty_backdrop_640x480.jpg
"This is perfectly acceptable for Annah's character and the Planescape setting,"--what gross neckbeards actually believe.

FeelTheRads

Arcane
A DOWNLOADABLE easter egg is supposed to be part of the setting. This is what cock-starved housewives actually believe.

The sexist thing was less retarded/better trolling than this, just so you know.

Brother None

inXile Entertainment
Developer
I enjoy how you avoid replying to the three paragraphs of my post that rationally explain why your position is wrong and why dismissing the Hepler thing as sexism was a bid of weakness by BioWare and game journalists and focus on minutiae instead, Roguey. Come back when you're willing to talk as an adult. And don't pretend good feedback doesn't exist just because you filtered only one path, that's like looking only at youtube or 4chan comments and pretending that's all of it.

Jealousy? Nothing in the bit you quoted indicates any jealousy from anyone. It indicates annoyance, which was the predominant emotion of the response to Hepler's output. Not jealousy, not sexism, but sheer aggravation. Do people express this aggravation in a childish manner? Sure. Does that make the whole of it sexism? Nope. This explains that very well.

I did not nor do I intend to do research on MITH. I'm not writing a critical piece on Hepler, and my dismissal of her and the rest of the BioWare writing staff is not based on their peripheral output. I wish they'd stick to comics and books, in fact.

Also, doesn't Annah pretty much always wear a stripper outfit? Not sure I'm seeing how a themed one is different.

gross neckbeards

Please keep these sexist statements off these forums. I find this highly offensive.

SCO

Arcane
In My Safe Space
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Pretty pathetic display of insecurity by the neckbeards.

Attack the argument cocksuckers

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
I enjoy how you avoid replying to the three paragraphs of my post that rationally explain why your position is wrong and why dismissing the Hepler thing as sexism was a bid of weakness by BioWare and game journalists and focus on minutiae instead, Roguey. Come back when you're willing to talk as an adult. And don't pretend good feedback doesn't exist just because you filtered only one path, that's like looking only at youtube or 4chan comments and pretending that's all of it.
Sorry, but when I see several paragraphs of a man trying to mansplain sexism to me, my eyes just go to the back of my head and I tune out.

Also, when a bunch of jerks attack you, the response shouldn't be "I should really try to find the root cause of why they would do such a thing!" That's the self-loathing limp-wristed liberal sissy response. The proper action is shock and awe.

Jealousy? Nothing in the bit you quoted indicates any jealousy from anyone. It indicates annoyance, which was the predominant emotion of the response to Hepler's output. Not jealousy, not sexism, but sheer aggravation. Do people express this aggravation in a childish manner? Sure. Does that make the whole of it sexism? Nope. This explains that very well.
because she's a poor writer who disdains the industry she works in.
"Wah, how dare she work in the industry when she's a bad writer who hates playing games! It should be me!"

I skimmed that article you posted and it was absurd misogyny-internalizing shit. That doesn't help you at all. It says to me "I am gross misogynist who likes women who reinforce my gross misogynistic views."
I did not nor do I intend to do research on MITH. I'm not writing a critical piece on Hepler, and my dismissal of her and the rest of the BioWare writing staff is not based on their peripheral output. I wish they'd stick to comics and books, in fact.
Refuses to do any kind of research, spreads propaganda anyway. Typical game journalist attitude regardless.

Also, doesn't Annah pretty much always wear a stripper outfit? Not sure I'm seeing how a themed one is different.
Her other one at least tries to look like a facsimile of armor, fits the setting, and has an attempt at justification (cobbled together from other scraps of armor). I don't like it very much either.

gross neckbeards

Please keep these sexist statements off these forums. I find this highly offensive.
Misandry has no power. :smug:

Dexter

Arcane
I'd like to think of them more as undead than alive.

Also didn't dear Jennifer get her job in the first place cause her equally-failed writer husband was working there on SWOTOR and then went on to ruin bits of Mass Effect 2+3 and Hollywood was apparently all too "misogynistic" to let her lay her hands on anything?

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Also didn't dear Jennifer get her job in the first place cause her equally-failed writer husband was working there on SWOTOR and then went on to ruin bits of Mass Effect 2+3 and Hollywood was apparently all too "misogynistic" to let her lay her hands on anything?
No, they were hired together as a team. He was put on ME, she on DA. They've also written a few episodes of some forgettable CIA show so her work has been on television.

Stinger

Arcane

I thought this did a great job at presenting the Hepler issue as a whole. That's all I have to add to this.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
I recognize that name as 4chan-affiliated shit. "Great job?" Noooooooooooope.

dnf

Pedophile
Dumbfuck Shitposter
Cool approach to discussion.
You cant discuss sexism unless you have a vagina! Thus you have to agree with the feminazis or else...

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom