Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Mass Effect BioWare Montreal's Mass Effect: Andromeda - where element zero meets trisomy 21

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
At least they did go for top 50,after all there is hardly 10 good games this year.
An individual could probably come up with 50 genuinely good games this year, but a list by committee is dependant on several staff members playing the same games since they can't very well cede top spots on the word of one person's experience. As always such lists generally say more about exposure than quality.
50 games is a lot mate.

At least they did go for top 50,after all there is hardly 10 good games this year.
An individual could probably come up with 50 genuinely good games this year, but a list by committee is dependant on several staff members playing the same games since they can't very well cede top spots on the word of one person's experience. As always such lists generally say more about exposure than quality.
50 games is a lot mate.

In comparison to how many come out in a year it's not all that many. Could probably pretty easily just list 50 random games that came out this year and you'd have a group of games better than. Probably wouldn't even be hard to come up with 26 better game that were released in the Q1 along with Andromeda, there's about 100 games from just then I think

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
50 games is a lot mate.

In comparison to how many come out in a year it's not all that many. Could probably pretty easily just list 50 random games that came out this year and you'd have a group of games better than. Probably wouldn't even be hard to come up with 26 better game that were released in the Q1 along with Andromeda, there's about 100 games from just then I think
I am not defending andromeda,it is total shit game. Still i doubt that there are more than 150 games this year...i mean real games not that steam shovelware. Also i am talking about PC games,have no idea what peasants have to play.

50 games is a lot mate.

I am not defending andromeda,it is total shit game. Still i doubt that there are more than 150 games this year...i mean real games not that steam shovelware. Also i am talking about PC games,have no idea what peasants have to play.

There's about 100 games in just the Q1 of this year, and there's three more quarters after that.

Mark Richard

Arcane
50 games is a lot mate.
50 - ELEX
49 - ELEX
48 - ELEX
47 - ELEX
46 - ELEX
45 - ELEX
44 - ELEX
43 - ELEX
42 - ELEX
41 - ELEX
40 - ELEX
39 - ELEX
38 - ELEX
37 - ELEX
36 - ELEX
35 - ELEX
34 - ELEX
33 - ELEX
32 - ELEX
31 - ELEX
30 - ELEX
29 - ELEX
28 - ELEX
27 - ELEX
26 - ELEX
25 - ELEX
24 - ELEX
23 - ELEX
22 - ELEX
21 - ELEX
20 - ELEX
19 - ELEX
18 - ELEX
17 - ELEX
16 - ELEX
15 - ELEX
14 - ELEX
13 - ELEX
12 - ELEX
11 - ELEX
10 - ELEX
9 - ELEX
8 - ELEX
7 - ELEX
6 - ELEX
5 - ELEX
4 - ELEX
3 - ELEX
2 - ELEX
1 - Expeditions: Viking

Reinhardt

Arcane
50 games is a lot mate.
50 - ELEX
49 - ELEX
48 - ELEX
47 - ELEX
46 - ELEX
45 - ELEX
44 - ELEX
43 - ELEX
42 - ELEX
41 - ELEX
40 - ELEX
39 - ELEX
38 - ELEX
37 - ELEX
36 - ELEX
35 - ELEX
34 - ELEX
33 - ELEX
32 - ELEX
31 - ELEX
30 - ELEX
29 - ELEX
28 - ELEX
27 - ELEX
26 - ELEX
25 - ELEX
24 - ELEX
23 - ELEX
22 - ELEX
21 - ELEX
20 - ELEX
19 - ELEX
18 - ELEX
17 - ELEX
16 - ELEX
15 - ELEX
14 - ELEX
13 - ELEX
12 - ELEX
11 - ELEX
10 - ELEX
9 - ELEX
8 - ELEX
7 - ELEX
6 - ELEX
5 - ELEX
4 - ELEX
3 - ELEX
2 - ELEX
You've mispronounced "Grimoire" 50 times.

Theldaran

Liturgist
me1 was a promise which has never been kept. the game by itself sucked but we've had nothing like that before. me2 took away all the crap (meaning "almost all the game") and left a sleek, essential shooter with some funny cutscenes (i had a good laugh with the verbose krogan and the renegade trigger, if you know what i mean), one or two outstanding characters and better, much better planets, mostly because there was no mako anymore.
all i would have wanted from me3 was more stuff like krogan planet, or even better the one with tali whose gimmick is just "don't stand in sunlight". it's beyond human comprehension how that bunch of retards couldn't deliver even so little.

Mass Effect was an idea that even the first Mass Effect didn't fulfill. Even by the time it made it to the shelf it'd dropped two of the reasons the series was even called Mass Effect to begin with. Gone was the whole reason they went with the dialogue wheel in the first place, and gone was having to make choices about what missions you went on. The one core idea about how your actions would have an effect on things was the idea of throughlines between games, but then that's something you needed to wait until the next game to see if it was actually a thing...which it turned out not to be in ME2.

In actuality Mass Effect 1 was a pretty bad third person shooter. It had pretty terrible corridor style level layouts, the opening area of that game was a pretty rude awakening from what I thought the game was going to be from following its development into what the game actually was; and bland tiny open areas. Can't really say there was anything new about what was actually in the game. There was potential for all the different elements at play, there's vastly more interesting ways they could have taken it even within the realm of being a third person shooter.

In hindsight I'm kind of surprised neither Mass Effect or Mass Effect 2 were just a sandbox style game like a GTA. Sandbox kind of seems like what they wanted to do, but like many things in ME never committed to. Would imagine if they used Pandemic Studios' Zero engine they could actually have had some good driving, and stuff like the sandworms seems like an idea made for a sandbox.

And still ME1 was a big hit on its time... I think it was one of the big hits of the 360. Sad, isn't it.

And still ME1 was a big hit on its time... I think it was one of the big hits of the 360. Sad, isn't it.

Was it a big hit? BioWare was basically an Xbox exclusive developer, but Microsoft didn't seem in any rush to snatch them up before the Elevation Partners deal or the EA deal. And Microsoft wasn't putting up a fight to hold onto Mass Effect. Saw something that said up to before the release of Mass Effect 3 the series had all together sold somewhere over 7 million. So that's two years of ME2 and five years of ME sales. In comparison Resident Evil 6 has sold 7 million in the five years it's been for its original release.

Hines

Savant
Haha, what the fuck kind of justification is that, Eurogamer? I bet they spent the whole year playing the same games on the Switch and a dozen or so console exclusives, and were forced to reach into the absurd to fill out the remaining entries.

Even Giantbomb, an outlet that's comprised of total Mass Effect fanboys, named Andromeda both the most disappointing and worst game of 2017.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
50 games is a lot mate.
50 - ELEX
49 - ELEX
48 - ELEX
47 - ELEX
46 - ELEX
45 - ELEX
44 - ELEX
43 - ELEX
42 - ELEX
41 - ELEX
40 - ELEX
39 - ELEX
38 - ELEX
37 - ELEX
36 - ELEX
35 - ELEX
34 - ELEX
33 - ELEX
32 - ELEX
31 - ELEX
30 - ELEX
29 - ELEX
28 - ELEX
27 - ELEX
26 - ELEX
25 - ELEX
24 - ELEX
23 - ELEX
22 - ELEX
21 - ELEX
20 - ELEX
19 - ELEX
18 - ELEX
17 - ELEX
16 - ELEX
15 - ELEX
14 - ELEX
13 - ELEX
12 - ELEX
11 - ELEX
10 - ELEX
9 - ELEX
8 - ELEX
7 - ELEX
6 - ELEX
5 - ELEX
4 - ELEX
3 - ELEX
2 - ELEX
You've mispronounced "Grimoire" 50 times.
You are mispronouncing ""manual" there mate.

Iznaliu

Arbiter
Haha, what the fuck kind of justification is that, Eurogamer? I bet they spent the whole year playing the same games on the Switch and a dozen or so console exclusives, and were forced to reach into the absurd to fill out the remaining entries.

Even Giantbomb, an outlet that's comprised of total Mass Effect fanboys, named Andromeda both the most disappointing and worst game of 2017.

I think it's the presumably trict consensus-based format of the list, as has been mentioned by Mark Richard. Additionally, there is most likely a vain hope that the game is better than it actually turned out to be.

Rahdulan

Omnibus
Patron

Because it always comes down to a popularity contest unless game bombs catastrophically you have to ride the negativity train to fit in. Also, it's quite clear they just resort to indies to fill out the list and even then it's just "Oh, these indies received attention due to X" or they play some weird fan favorites though some madness I can't decipher. Nothing against Nex Machina because I haven't played it, but just read their summary where it says dev is basically a swell guy and he clearly charmed them. That's useless to me as a reader making a critical decision about the game.

Drakron

Arcane
Origin have it on sale now for $15, granted it not the only one (LookBox Front Too is there as well) but its kinda funny seeing it along with the usual suspects, CISisition is also on sale ... again.

a cut of domestic sheep prime

Origin have it on sale now for $15, granted it not the only one (LookBox Front Too is there as well) but its kinda funny seeing it along with the usual suspects, CISisition is also on sale ... again.
I wouldn't, even if you paid me $15 too play it.

ColonelTeacup

Liturgist

Aren't Extra Credits the guys who were found out to be shills being bought off to support games being more expensive and games as a service? They also supposedly censor comments that point out their errors in videos.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom