Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Bioware needs your help!

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer
Section8 said:
I want Volourn as a playable race.
Best suggestion ever! Dave will pick you up at 7.

Dreagon

Scholar
Sol Invictus said:
Is this thread supposed to be serious? More than half of the suggestions here happen to be anthropomorphic (Lizardmen, Wolfmen) or have already been done in other settings (Dark Elves, intelligent dwarves, orcs).

I don't think Bioware is looking for a race that already exists in other games.

Good point.

I vote for large floating jellyfish like creatures. Most of their bodies can be helium gas bags and they can shoot lasers out of their tentacles.

MINIGUNWIELDER

Scholar
Chefe said:
3. Crab People
- Huge bonus to persuade
- Bonus to intelligence
- Slight bonus to magic
- Penalty to charisma
- Severe penalty to strength
- Penalty to constitution

This race is a mix between magic and personality. They come from the underworld, and not much is known about them, although they can easily disguise themselves as other races and blend in with society. Rumor has it that they're hell-bent on the destruction of everyone in Fantasy Land, so naturally they're enemies of Humans, Elves, and Dwarves unless they're disguised as one of the races.

4. Chiuas
- Bonus to speed
- Bonus to marksman
- Bonus to charisma
- Bonus to trade
- Bonus to personality
- Penalty to strength
- Penalty to charisma
- Penalty to luck
- Less chance to hit in combat

A race of anthromorphic Chihuahuas. A good personality race, an adequate stealth race, and an extremely horrible combat race. They hail from the plains to the southwest. They are fierce allies with humans, neutral towards elves, and enemies to the dwarves.
3.south park on the brain huh
4.whatever your on, send volu some

DarkUnderlord

Professional Throne Sitter
Staff Member
My vote goes for Towel People.

towelie-cartoon-j.jpg

Can't go wrong with towels.

Human Shield

Augur
All the races are probably going to share equipment anyways, and they aren't going to through in space-alien looking races.

Put in Battletoads.

Kratos

Novice
yea, this can't be too bizarre, because it obviously has to fit in with humans, elves, and dwarves. so here's two quick ideas.
1. A humanlike race that has some sort or limited telepathic abilities with other members of the race - either sharing of actual thoughts under certain circumstances or else the sharing of emotions. Oh, and they don't have any hair.
2. A human-like race in which certain individuals can be reincarnated. There could be lots of religion, social code, and ceremony involved in this race. When someone is born, a consciousness of an ancestor could be fused with theirs. It could either take over the body completely, or be a shared consciousness

Given that elves are generally immortal, and dwarves were made from the earth, I don't think these two are too wacky.

Sol Invictus

Erudite
Sentient Golems would be a great idea. If you've ever played D&D's new setting, it has such a race. They're called Warforged.

Warforged kinda get funky, though, if you actually take the concept and run with it. I was in an all-warforged party, and we made the DM pull his hair out, doing such things as walking on the bottom of the ocean to get where we wanted rather than take the fancy schmancy boat, outdistancing trains by running everywhere with customized Continous Boots of Expeditious Retreat 24/7, and such. Don't even get me started on the weird components my artificer made for everyone. We trying to figure out how to become Voltron before he finally cried uncle. :lol:

If you're going to allow a weird race, you should have the options it allows. Otherwise it's like allowing birdmen as a race a straight-as-an-arrow game where you can't fly over a simple fence because you're supposed to defeat Chucky the brute guarding the gate before you have access to Overland Area 2. It just makes the suspension of belief harder.

Jenos Idanian

Novice
kingcomrade said:
the next race should be your mom with my testicles in her mouth volourn

You bastard! you left my lovely 70-year-old mum for Volourns? Have you no heart?

anyhow, i vote for zerg or protoss

Jenos Idanian

Novice
kingcomrade said:
No, just an insatiable lust for old people.

Why would you choose Zerg or Protoss over my congoid elves? They're copyrighted anyways.

I guess I don't want you winning the date with Gaider. He's mine I tell you!

Roqua

Prospernaut
Dumbfuck Repressed Homosexual In My Safe Space
For a new race how about Hippy? They can get the following bonuses, + 10 pussy, - 10 strength and Intellegence. Cannot engage in combat or eat meat. Very angry race, they have a plan to stick it to the man, and are always hypocrites.

Race 2: Negroids. They can hop down, turn around, pick a bial of cotton.

Race I do not want to see: Naked Bitches. Because naked bitches are gross. And degrading to bitches everywhere.

Claw

Erudite
Patron
Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
I do like the idea of intelligent gomels or similar. Another idea I find intriguing would be a telepathic race relying on creatures to assist them in every task, possibly in partly symbiotic relationships with body-infesting lifeforms (sorta like living cyber-implants).

I entertain the idea of a race of bizzaro-humans:

A humanoid race without skin or hair, but extremely tough, somewhat transparent flesh. A less distinctive skeletal structure like a mesh of harder flesh intertwined with muscular flesh. Their whole flesh has to work like muscles however due to its lack of softness and flexibility. Being less responsive than muscle-flesh, it react sluggish, thus they are not very nimble.
Sponge-like lungs filter oxygen out of air or water.
They gind and dissolve their vegan diet in muscular mouths and posses only tiny stomachs. They have no bowels, waste products accumulate in the stomach and are sprewn out eventually.
They are far less social creatures than humans and possibly produce asexually.

Stats:

+ Health
+ Damage Resistance
+ Acid/Poison Resistance
+ Water Breathing

- Agility
- Charisma
- Intelligence
- Fire Vulnerability

PS:
This might as well have gone into the "fantasy race" thread in RPG General. Damn these double threads!

Crichton

Prophet
Since elves, dwarves and humans are pretty similar baring their shape, I like the idea of ogres to keep the pattern (and I liked the half-ogre in arcanum)

Ogres:

Big: bonus to melee damage, carrying capacity, HP and size generally

Brute: penalty to agility/dexterity, treated like a monster by polite society

Role: The vast majority of all ogres live in the mountains to the north as primative tribesmen. You're one of the minority who's ventured down into civilization. Ogres aren't any worse off than they other three races mentally, but because they're all neolithic barbarians, they (including you) are the equivalent of an irishman in victorian england, everyone assumes you have a child-like intellect and since all of your brethren this far south are bodyguards, leg-breakers or brute laborers, no one takes you seriously as anything but a strong back and a grimace.

On the upswing, you know more about the wilderness than all these weak, civilized men and since everyone thinks you're an idiot, you can get away with a lot by playing dumb. Even if you aren't a better fighter than the 6', 190 lb human fighter, people tend to back down when confronted by a 8' 450 lb ogre. If you go adventuring in the wastelands to the north, you'll have an easier time interacting with the native ogres, humans and orcs because you can (literally) speak the language.

Now all we need is dialog options that actually reflect these differences as opposed to the typical;

NPC: (checks race tag) "Begone, Ogre!"
Ogre: "But I'm a good Ogre"
NPC" (GOTO 1) "Greets Adventurer, would you like fetch my lost ____"
Ogre: "I guess, if you'll pay me...."
NPC: (checks race tag) "Alright ogre, I'm giving you one chance, I've got my eye on you."
Ogre: "Actually I have to leave now, goodbye."

Saint_Proverbius

Administrator
Staff Member
My vote is Furlings. No one knows shit about them except they're one of the Four Races and they built that teleporter device that trapped O'Neill and Maybourne on that one moon.

Greatatlantic

Erudite
I would like to suggest a Greek Race. Though much shorter than thier human counterparts and often bald, their high intelligence and chest hair makes up for it. Lousy tablemanners and a tendency to trick the girl into paying for dates means reproduction occurs slowly. Furthermore, if a male Greek gets the female to pay, he will then try to get money to bet on the horses. However, they all feel a common bond with one another, and will go out of their way to make another Greek feel welcome. This often involves mass quantites of food of particular orgin.

Summation:
+intelligence
+bonus with horses
+reaction from other Greeks
-not as common as other races
-charisma

On a more serious note, just take the human form, throw in a couple of uncommon attributes such as red hair, balding, shortness, stuttering, etc. Make these attributes uniform through out and you've got your fourth race.

Second Chance

Liturgist
Why not a race like Sacred's Seraphim? Females with skimpy clothing and high heels. I bet the game would sell a lot more. ;)

Avin

Liturgist
In a P&P game I created red-haired psionic elves.

A psionic race woluld be lovely.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom