Official Codex Discord Server

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

Company News BioWare on how to monetise players

Discussion in 'RPG Codex News & Content Comments' started by VentilatorOfDoom, Aug 14, 2012.

1. VentilatorOfDoom RPG Codex Staff

VentilatorOfDoom
    Tags: BioWare; Mass Effect 3

BioWare's Fernando Melo explains on GDC Europe why Day 1-DLC makes a lot of sense. For BioWare.
    It's all about offering more choice.

^ Top  
  2. Alexandros Arcane

Alexandros
    Well, "gut or groin" is technically a choice I guess.

^ Top  
  3. Infinitron I post news Patron

Infinitron
    Grab the Codex by the pussy Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Kingmaker
    :declining:

• Brofist Brofist x 3
    ^ Top  
  4. Stinger Arcane

Stinger
    I'm more disturbed by Eurogamer's impartial tone to this bullshit.

^ Top  
  5. mbpopolano24 Arbiter

mbpopolano24
    Ah ah - Extra choice of how to be a sucker, that's it.

^ Top  
  6. ironyuri Guest

ironyuri
    we all wanted choices and consequences. bioware delivers yet again.

• Brofist Brofist x 3
    ^ Top  
  7. Spectacle Arcane Patron

Spectacle
    • Brofist Brofist x 25
    ^ Top  
  8. waywardOne Cipher

waywardOne
    Why? Since when is any gaming site not just a giant billboard for these companies?

^ Top  
  9. Morkar illiterate

Morkar
    It's interesting how much they lost touch with reality when they think it's a good idea to talk about such bullshit openly.
    It's like Al Capone talking in a radio interview about his security business.

• Brofist Brofist x 7
    ^ Top  
  10. Shadenuat Arcane

Shadenuat
    We are happier... because we... are able to spend money? We are happier... happier... because we could't spend money without DLC's, because DLC's are out right after game is out... but we would't be able to be happier if there were't an option to spend more money on a game which we just bought...

...I don't get it. I think I need some sort of new gen Bullshit-English dictionary. Somebody help me.

:notsureifserious:

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  11. waywardOne Cipher

waywardOne
    They actually think this way. They sincerely believe that we want to give them money all the time and the only reason we didn't before is because they didn't release a product often enough.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  12. mbpopolano24 Arbiter

mbpopolano24
    Do you really think so? It is a sincere question, because I am often lost in trying to understand other people reasoning. So, you are claiming that if they would release a DLC / day (even a tiny one, like a single new weapon), they'd think people would give them money?

^ Top  
  13. Morkar illiterate

Morkar
    Funny, because I had my happiest gaming time/decade when I spent no money at all at gaming...

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  14. Micmu Magister

Micmu
    Yes, a choice to be utterly retarded or not. At least you put it into "quotes".
    It's funny how little shits try to spin this foul business practice as a positive thing for the customer. At least have 0.000001% of honor and shut the fuck about it. :roll:

^ Top  
  15. Semper Arbiter

Semper
    MCA Project: Eternity
    not that this makes this "argument" any better but you misread what was said. gamers are happier because they're able to spend money when they want...

^ Top  
  16. Shadenuat Arcane

Shadenuat
    So it's about gamers freedom!

...woaaaaahhh. :retarded:

^ Top  
  17. Micmu Magister

Micmu
    Well.. Strictly speaking, he is correct about giving customers more "choice".
    If there weren't any Day 1-DLC, that would automatically eliminate one more binary choice: getting a lite or full version of the game.
    Smart customers choose the third option, though - to stay the fuck away from your bogus business.

• Brofist Brofist x 3
    ^ Top  
  18. SinVraal Educated

SinVraal
    People, its just too hard to ship all those fabulous, extra outfits with the game. The fags in the basement can be put to work on the latest, seasonal color trends.

^ Top  
  19. Fowyr Prestigious Gentleman Arcane

Fowyr
    I remember hordes of Bioware defenders when Dragon Age was released. Where are all of them now? (except our dear Mr. R00fles)
    Bioware completely lost its mind. OK, just another reason for me to continue to be a smug (but deeply depressed) asshole. :M

^ Top  
  20. taxalot Gone forever. Patron

taxalot
    Codex 2013 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
    There is nothing there that we do not already know about. What is the point of such interviews ? "We like DLCs because we can sell them" ? Wow.

^ Top  
  21. taxalot Gone forever. Patron

taxalot
    Codex 2013 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
    Angry ? I only bothered to read the first posts and the biodrones were at it :

^ Top  
  22. Morkar illiterate

Morkar
    ^ Top  
  23. racofer Thread Incliner

racofer
    Considering that the quality of AAA games is also in a steady decline for the past 20 years, I would say the pricing is just on par with the end product.

• Brofist Brofist x 6
    ^ Top  
  24. Ermm Erudite

Ermm
    I don't know, taxalot only picked the loyal sheeple comments (and only two of them were first comments).

Definitely, decent amount of sheeples are pissed.

Angry sheeples

^ Top