Official Codex Discord Server

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

Game News Bioware responds to same sex relationships in DA

Discussion in 'RPG Codex News & Content Comments' started by VentilatorOfDoom, Jan 1, 2011.

1. VentilatorOfDoom RPG Codex Staff

VentilatorOfDoom
    Tags: BioWare; Dragon Age 2

<p>David Gaider on the issue of <a href="http://social.bioware.com/forum/1/topic/141/index/5531798/6#5534694" target="_blank">same sex romances</a>, often called bromances, in BioWare RPGs. I hope you see the significance, romances are half the RPG elements in Biogames as of late with the other half being cutscenes.</p>
    <blockquote>
    <p>So long as romances of any kind are optional and need to be actively pursued by the player in order to be experienced, they simply don't have a leg to stand on. Advocating that nobody should be able to have content you don't intend to personally use is largely pointless-- outside of a vague notion that such efforts should go towards other things, instead. Personally, it's not a <span style="font-style: italic;">lot </span>of effort to include them. The resources we can devote to a minority of players isn't great, but I imagine to those players it's quite worth it... and I would hope that some folks could be sensitive enough to be happy for those players, at the very least out of the selfish notion that <span style="font-style: italic;">they </span>may one day end up in the minority of some content issue and receive the same consideration if nothing else.</p>
    </blockquote>
    <p>Wise words or bullshit? Decide for yourself.</p>
    <p>&nbsp;</p>
    <p>Thanks to Jaesun for bringing our attention to this very important issue. I just used the words "very important" as an euphemism for "completely retarded" by the way.</p>
    <p>&nbsp;</p>
    <p><strong>Happy New Year</strong></p>
    <p>&nbsp;</p>

^ Top  
  2. racofer Thread Incliner

racofer
    It's bullshit.

D.Gaydar is merely trying to divert attention from the obvious dating sim emphasis their games have and tries to make the romances sound cerebral and detached from the main game. We know it's not like that and I bet over 50% of the time he devoted into writing this game was all dedicated for the romances, which he fondly thinks about every night before going to sleep as he hugs his pillow.

I'm relieved this guy has nothing to do with the Mass Effect games.

^ Top  
  3. Linden Arcane

Linden
    That's not what the word 'bromance' means. :?

^ Top  
  4. DreadMessiah Liturgist

DreadMessiah
    Uh yes it does. Romance doesn't only mean to fuck like rabbits. Look the word up next time before removing all doubt. :smug:

Also often =! always. Learn to comprehend what you "read".

:mob:

^ Top  
  5. Blackadder Prestigious Gentleman Magister

Blackadder
    Since they have already scoured the content I enjoy from RPG's they can do whatever they want with them. Couldn't care less.

Actually, no. I hope they push on. Make them the central part of their game. The drama threads on here will make decent recompense.

^ Top  
  6. Morkar illiterate

Morkar
    I can feel you Gaider, I'm in a minority too. :salute:
    I'm a rpg player who wants to play rpgs because of its rpg elements. But the majority only accepts datingsims and consolegame-buttonmashing nowadays :(

^ Top  
  7. denizsi Arcane

denizsi
    You know it's a ridiculous world when underachieving bald fat fucks are making money writing fanfic for retards.

^ Top  
  8. Jaesun Fabulous Moderator

Jaesun
    Torment: Tides of Numenera Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech
    :D

^ Top  
  9. Awor Szurkrarz Arcane In My Safe Space

Awor Szurkrarz
    Codex 2012
    Yeah, it would be nice to start a trolling unit that would visit their forums and ask for ridiculous shit that would ruin the games for them.

^ Top  
  10. Pablosdog Cipher

Pablosdog
    No.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bromance

lBromance is not in essence romantic. It's a homosocial completely non romantic relationship between two men. Think the odd couple, star trek or Street fighter 2.

^ Top  
  11. VentilatorOfDoom RPG Codex Staff

VentilatorOfDoom
    I can only apologize for my lack of knowledge when it comes to things like gay romances, bromances and the subtle nuances... eh whatever. Thank god we have enough experts on the matter around here, so semantic inaccuracies will get revealed immediately.

^ Top  
  12. Silellak Liturgist

Silellak
    Fixed.

^ Top  
  13. oneself Arcane Shitposter

oneself
    A minority-white, multicultural hellscape
    Less fighting moar dating!

^ Top  
  14. Volourn Pretty Princess Pretty Princess

Volourn
    "We know it's not like that and I bet over 50% of the time he devoted into writing this game was all dedicated for the romances,"

No. Romances in BIO games are a small percentage.

" which he fondly thinks about every night before going to sleep as he hugs his pillow. "

You would know.

"I'm relieved this guy has nothing to do with the Mass Effect games."

Doesn't stop them having romances. L0L

^ Top  
  15. Erzherzog Magister

Erzherzog
    :lol:

I have nothing of actual substance to contribute...sorry!

^ Top  
  16. JarlFrank I like Thief THIS much Patron

JarlFrank
    Secret Lab of the Warrior-Magus of Esoteric RPGism
    Well fuck you for making me quote you just so I could read that.

^ Top  
  17. Cenobyte Prophet

Cenobyte
    Very important and interesting news.

^ Top  
  18. ortucis Prophet

ortucis
    Developers who usually hype such things are the ones to insult the "interested parties" the most. Sort of like movie directors.

Well either way, BioWare could add some hardcore gay sex between Shepard and Rex and strategically place Tali in corner of the screen watching them.. their fans will still sit through the scene cause of Tali. So I don't see why Gaider is pleading with his fanbase at all. Unlike Romero, BioWare has successfully made their fanbase their bitch.

^ Top  
  19. Hell March Educated

Hell March
    He phrases his words more carefully than most modern politicans, and they mean even less.

Read also as: "I'm pretty sure at this point we could charge them $50 for fried feces and they'd worship us for it."

^ Top  
  20. Angthoron Prestigious Gentleman Arcane

Angthoron
    Hey guys, you're missing an important point here - one day they may include RPG into their interactive movies again, or maybe even decent gameplay for the minority of the players that enjoy to, like, play games.

Durr at you for focusing at the superficial.

D. Gaider, our hero, lord and saviour :love:

^ Top  
  21. POOPERSCOOPER Prophet

POOPERSCOOPER
    Wasn't Gaider the same guy to say that multiple paths in an RPG wasn't worth the work?

^ Top  
  22. Volourn Pretty Princess Pretty Princess

Volourn
    No, that's a misquote taken out of context and twisted in usual Codex style.

^ Top  
  23. Angthoron Prestigious Gentleman Arcane

Angthoron
    What, are you implying that BioWare believes in financial feasibility of branching storylines?

^ Top  
  24. Volourn Pretty Princess Pretty Princess

Volourn
    "What, are you implying that BioWare believes in financial feasibility of branching storylines?"

Within reason.

^ Top  
  25. Andyman Messiah Mr. Ed-ucated

Andyman Messiah
    This thread is a problem that need to go away for education.

^ Top  

(buying stuff via the above buttons helps us pay the hosting bills, thanks!)