Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News bitComposer issue official statement on Chaos Chronicles

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
Right... it's better to give up before even trying *codexian style*

Derp. Because there are obviously only two options, either you give up or go to Kickstarter, amirite.

All I know is that their pitch created a very different impression, but maybe that's just me.

It did, and I was also puzzled as hell when just about every profeshunul journo (tm) out there was essentially calling it a King's Bounty clone, as tbh the game had nothing to do with either HoMM or KB except the "horseman with a flag riding across an overland map".

Which is good because they all know what it is and promising a better game - game they always wanted but didn't get from Troika, with bigger and better story, more areas, more monsters, more loot, etc might just do the trick. Nothing is certain, of course, but at least they have angles to play.

Fair enough.

What are the options though? It's either KS or another investor who may or may not have them by the balls again.

Beats me. My [scholastic lore: game development] is not high enough to come up with good alternatives, but aren't there some publishers out there that are more, let's say, developer-friendly, like Paradox? The game's style would even fit Paradox's catalogue.

tuluse

Arcane
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Would it take 1 million to finish Crystal Chronicles? What does 1 million have to do with anything?

Rake

Arcane
It's a figure I made out of thin air. How much do you think notCC would need?
From scratch? At least a million. As far i know they are no basement indie devs. If you work from an office and pay salaries, you need $

CappenVarra

phase-based phantasmist
Patron
Do not go gently into negative hitpoints...
So that poem is more famous than I thought.
You are right, popamole 20th century poetry is not a good choice for the subject matter...

'Cept it should be "gentle". :mad: Philistines.
:( Ok, have a more appropriate replacement then, Google Translate language mistakes included:

Wer jetzt kein Spiel hat, macht sich keines mehr.
Wer jetzt Jungfer ist, wird es lange bleiben,
wird wachen, lesen, lange Forenbeitrage schreiben
und wird in den Alleen hin und her
unruhig wandern, wenn die Blätter treiben.

tuluse

Arcane
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong
It's a figure I made out of thin air. How much do you think notCC would need?
From scratch? At least a million. As far i know they are no basement indie devs. If you work from an office and pay salaries, you need $
They wouldn't be starting from scratch, hobgoblin already posted that they own the majority of the game. Let's say the game is 50% complete. What do you think it would cost to finish at that point?

Rake

Arcane
Depends how much can use. If 50% is complete, then 500.000-600.000 should be more than enough. I don't think he goes with Obsidian's cash burn rate anyway.

Burning Bridges

Enviado de meu SM-G3502T usando Tapatalk
Too little. Keep in mind that the money has to be converted to Euros, and the developer is in Munich, one of the most expensive towns in Germany.

markec

Twitterbot
Patron
Codex 2012 Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Dead State Project: Eternity Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
There is a big difference in asking for 150k and getting 160 and asking for 1 million and probably getting well, more or less the same 160k.

Linda and Hall kickstarter even got 250,000 $, yet it was considered a miserable failure.

To be honest Shaker was considered miserable failure more because it was extremely shitty and obvious cash grab targeting RPG fans, and getting 250K was actually a proof that morons are capable of using Kickstarter.

Self-Ejected

Excidium

P. banal
A fair number of Codexers will support a Chaos Chronicles: Reloaded kickstarter, that's for sure; but I'm not so sure about the rest of the internet.
A lot of people want a new D&D CRPG. This is the closest it could get (and now it's dead).
It's kind of crazy how no one has used OGL to make a video game other than KotC. You get almost the DnD branding and it's free.

Screw fake D&D-branding. The amount of people you could reach out to with actual Pathfinder-branding is pretty huge. Yet no one has went that way either, because every indie programmer believes himself capable of constructing more robust systems.
Why the hell would you want that? Adapting one of their modules into a videogame? Just having the Pathfinder logo in the box like anyone cares? Because Paizo's IP isn't worth having someone looking over your shoulder when you can just use their OGL material and be done with it. Unless of course you mean getting Paizo to actually publish a CRPG.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
So where would they get the funding to finish the game?

Gakkone

pretty cool guy eh
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
We keep getting told this game is "95% completed".

I still don't know who came up with that number but it wasn't me (actually I would be happy if we already reached that progress)

That number probably was invented because you yourself told us here on this very forum that your CC was going to come out this very summer.

Even if the game was three months from release when he said that it wouldn't make it 95% completed.

AbounI

Colonist
Patron
As far as I can remember, tell me if I'm wrong, things began to turn wrong while they were working on the UI.At least, that was the thing that was announced
There was also a poll about the economy system, the result was just taken in account by the studio, with a litlle anticipation from the end of the poll.
With that, I don't think the game was "95% completed"

Hobgob, 05/22

So I assume works keep going on beetwen Mars (when bC wanted an early release) and May, right?The question is : is the game still in development?If no, so, when did it stop?No matter the % point

Micmu

Magister
Speaking of vapourware... why does this thread still have "Game news" instead of more appropriate "Vapourware" tag?

Sensuki

Arcane
Codex 2014 Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong A Beautifully Desolate Campaign
Operation Flashpoint had neither an interesting nor original setting. The setting can and does play a part, but it's not the end all or be all. Everything from characters, to setting, to music, to graphical representation, to cinematics to gameplay creates part of the atmosphere.

I was around when this was a popular LAN multiplayer game, it was mostly for the people that ended up being the Battlefield players who didn't like Counter-Strike.

Unless you were talking about the SP which I never played.

Grotesque

±¼ ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Patron
Vatnik
Divinity: Original Sin Divinity: Original Sin 2
iFEPsSi8bizsV.gif

FeelTheRads

Arcane
day one, "we will deliver bestest rpg ever!11": 500000 backers
day two, "it will be isometric!": -250000 backers who wanted first person
day three, "it will be turn-based!": -125000 backers who wanted realtime
day four, "it will be fantasy!": -62500 backers who wanted science fiction
day five, "it will have a dramatic protagonist with unique npcs!": -31250 backers who wanted blank state party creation
day six, "it will have skills developing from use!": -15625 backers who wanted xp and levels
day seven, "it will have mana!": -7812 backers who wanted memorization casting
day 30, "it will have blue interface buttons!": -1 backer who wanted green interface buttons.

:lol: :bro:
That and even worse as you can find out if you make the mistake of reading the Kickstarter comments, which I stopped doing for the same reason I stopped reading Youtube comments.

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
I like the idea, but I guess you would have to strike a deal with Paizo, which isn't something indies fancy.

Why the hell would you want that? [...] Because Paizo's IP isn't worth having someone looking over your shoulder when you can just use their OGL material and be done with it.

I thought I already told you guys that Pathfinder is just as open and free to use as the OGL (that is, not the actual *name* "Pathfinder", but everything about the system here: www.d20pfsrd.com). I'm not saying they should make a module (though repurposing something like Kingmaker would certainly be easy, though it would require deals with Paizo), I'm saying using the rule-set would expand your target group to a huge part of the old D&D players who've moved on to Pathfinder. It would also make sure you had a robust system and not all the indie-level simplified bullshit we've been seeing.

And if KotC can do it, Kickstarted games should be able to as well.

Pathfinder is basically an even more open version of the OGL. The OGL is just a basic ruleset. With Pathfinder, everything from tables to obscure prestige classes is completely Open Source. You don't need to write "Pathfinder RPG" to get Pathfinder branding, you just need to say: we're using the Pathfinder OGL (non-trademarked name). Bang, you just confirmed yourself as making a Pathfinder RPG, and Paizo can do nothing about it.

Rpguy

Arcane
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath
HobGoblin42 I hope your new project will use pathfinder. It will be a unique game - there is no pathfinder game on the market yet so there's got to be a lot of request for it. I recall asking why you don't use it in CC and you said that when you started working on CC you have not heard about it yet - now you have no excuse :)
A turn base, party, pathfinder game will get more than 500k for a kick starter IMHO.

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
Self-Ejected

Excidium

P. banal
I like the idea, but I guess you would have to strike a deal with Paizo, which isn't something indies fancy.

Why the hell would you want that? [...] Because Paizo's IP isn't worth having someone looking over your shoulder when you can just use their OGL material and be done with it.

I thought I already told you guys that Pathfinder is just as open and free to use as the OGL (that is, not the actual *name* "Pathfinder", but everything about the system here: www.d20pfsrd.com). I'm not saying they should make a module (though repurposing something like Kingmaker would certainly be easy, though it would require deals with Paizo), I'm saying using the rule-set would expand your target group to a huge part of the old D&D players who've moved on to Pathfinder. It would also make sure you had a robust system and not all the indie-level simplified bullshit we've been seeing.

And if KotC can do it, Kickstarted games should be able to as well.

Pathfinder is basically an even more open version of the OGL. The OGL is just a basic ruleset. With Pathfinder, everything from tables to obscure prestige classes is completely Open Source. You don't need to write "Pathfinder RPG" to get Pathfinder branding, you just need to say: we're using the Pathfinder OGL (non-trademarked name). Bang, you just confirmed yourself as making a Pathfinder RPG, and Paizo can do nothing about it.
That's what I meant by "their OGL material". :M

Robert Jarzebina

the Codex is a place where all games suck.

But Codex is not an exceptional place! I think is still better than average.

Gamers stopped respecting games because there are too many games on the market and games are too cheap and easy to get.
Like food in rich countries. A good, tasty bread is trowed into garbage bin and no ones give a shit.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom