Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News bitComposer issue official statement on Chaos Chronicles

getter77

Augur
There's just nothing but bad everything to this update on the situation it seems---that developed a game zapped into the ether that is IP Vaults unless some sort of unfathomable agreement is reached. :(

Utterly depressing.

kaizoku

Arcane
The incline list is surely getting shorter. From "OMG! Turn-based RPGs are everywhere!" to this.

Shadowrun - the modders will fix it
Realms of Arkania - what is this, I don't even...
Chaos Chronicles - the lawyers got to it first.
And Expeditions:Conquistador sold like shit.

ambiguous sentence

how many copies did it sell?

Self-Ejected

Excidium

P. banal
The incline list is surely getting shorter. From "OMG! Turn-based RPGs are everywhere!" to this.

Shadowrun - the modders will fix it
Realms of Arkania - what is this, I don't even...
Chaos Chronicles - the lawyers got to it first.
And Expeditions:Conquistador sold like shit.

ambiguous sentence

how many copies did it sell?
Not enough to even be milked with DLC. I'm trying to find the Steam forums post by a dev but it's lost in the sea of posts in one of those chaos chronicles threads

Cowboy Moment

Arcane
Oh, well. I knew there was going to be a price attached to all the upcoming incline, and I suppose CC must be the sacrifice necessary to bring about a better future.

evdk

comrade troglodyte :M
Patron
Codex 2012 Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.

Western

Arcane
Codex 2012 Codex 2014 Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2

Cowboy Moment

Arcane
Oh, well. I knew there was going to be a price attached to all the upcoming incline, and I suppose CC must be the sacrifice necessary to bring about a better future.
Could we sacrifice bitComposer too?

I've got a better idea: Let's sacrifice Roguey instead.

That's not how it works. There must be balance among the forces of incline and decline. If anything, you'd have to spawn several more Rogueys.

Dangersaurus

Novice
"At some point, you have to fight for your creative work, no matter what financial and legal consequences it could cause."

If I lost my job because of a boss with this attitude, I'd be getting some juvenile revenge on mailboxes and doorstops on a weekly basis for life.

Delterius

Arcane
"At some point, you have to fight for your creative work, no matter what financial and legal consequences it could cause."

If I lost my job because of a boss with this attitude, I'd be getting some juvenile revenge on mailboxes and doorstops on a weekly basis for life.

I find it hard to believe that someone who has a job find this the most petty reason for bankruptcy. What with the other million ways that people profit from their employees' disgrace.

Capitalism

Educated
Fuck everything.

Why Chaos Chronicles?! Take Dragon Age III from us! And the rest of EA games! And Cliff Ble-some rubbish-ski!

DarkUnderlord

Professional Throne Sitter
Staff Member
I smell deeper bullshit.

We keep getting told this game is "95% completed". So where's the game-play video? And really, if it's 95% completed, it can be released and patched later. Hell, Realms of Arkania are doing that... BiowEAr did it for Mass Effect 3 and EA's done that shit for years.

In September 2012, one of the founders and managing partners of Coreplay left the company—and this was a real surprise for us. Shortly thereafter, the former managing partner’s shares were taken over by a lawyer and an investor.

From this point on, there have been differing opinions concerning the previously agreed contracts and the future form of cooperation.​

So development ceased in September 2012.

In their recent statement to the petition, they mentioned a meeting last week (24th July). But they did not mention the fact that they already announced not to sign anything in that meeting. That's why we haven't attend it, because we don't have time for this 'play for time' bullshit anymore.​

... and now Coreplay don't even bother attending meetings because "nothing will be signed" and "they're [BitSomposer] playing for time". Why would BitComposer need to "play for time"?

an early release of Chaos Chronicles in March 2013. A release at this time would have led to horrible consequences for the game regarding its quality, content and stability.​

So, 95% complete, huh? But now the game is dead and Coreplay are working on their next title, with a 95% completed title just sitting there?

Obviously it's an issue over money - what I can't work out is whether it's that Coreplay need more of it. If they did, why not just do a KickStarter and be done with it? Raise a few hundred thousand and move on.

More likely it seems, an issue over who's getting the profits. It would seem the new "investor" and lawyer did an agreement that sounds - dare I say dodge - or at least outside the realms of what BC were expecting.

Option B: The game is actually a great big pile of such poorly coded, unfinished shite that BitComposer didn't even want to touch it.

Jarpie

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 MCA
I smell deeper bullshit.

We keep getting told this game is "95% completed". So where's the game-play video? And really, if it's 95% completed, it can be released and patched later. Hell, Realms of Arkania are doing that... BiowEAr did it for Mass Effect 3 and EA's done that shit for years.

In September 2012, one of the founders and managing partners of Coreplay left the company—and this was a real surprise for us. Shortly thereafter, the former managing partner’s shares were taken over by a lawyer and an investor.​
From this point on, there have been differing opinions concerning the previously agreed contracts and the future form of cooperation.​

So development ceased in September 2012.

In their recent statement to the petition, they mentioned a meeting last week (24th July). But they did not mention the fact that they already announced not to sign anything in that meeting. That's why we haven't attend it, because we don't have time for this 'play for time' bullshit anymore.​

... and now Coreplay don't even bother attending meetings because "nothing will be signed" and "they're [BitSomposer] playing for time". Why would BitComposer need to "play for time"?

an early release of Chaos Chronicles in March 2013. A release at this time would have led to horrible consequences for the game regarding its quality, content and stability.​

So, 95% complete, huh? But now the game is dead and Coreplay are working on their next title, with a 95% completed title just sitting there?

Obviously it's an issue over money - what I can't work out is whether it's that Coreplay need more of it. If they did, why not just do a KickStarter and be done with it? Raise a few hundred thousand and move on.

More likely it seems, an issue over who's getting the profits. It would seem the new "investor" and lawyer did an agreement that sounds - dare I say dodge - or at least outside the realms of what BC were expecting.

Option B: The game is actually a great big pile of such poorly coded, unfinished shite that BitComposer didn't even want to touch it.

And I wonder what does Coreplay have to lose by attending meeting and trying to solve the problem rather than just giving up? Why not get neutral third-party arbiter to get a deal to which both can agree on? Maybe they have tried that but if not, they can sometimes help to loose the knot. Option B wouldn't surprise me, german developers are known for being shit with some few exceptions, have there been any truly well made german games except those couple adventure games in the last 10 years or so?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom