Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News bitComposer issue official statement on Chaos Chronicles

RK47

collides like two planets pulled by gravity
Patron
Dead State Divinity: Original Sin
BECAUSE DREAMS MOTHERFUCKER.
HONG DA
POWEREDBYDREAMS

LeJosh

Savant
It physically hurts! Hey, just leave your source code on a wishy washy FTP server, we can't let it die. Fuck this world.

:mob:

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
DarkUnderlord Occam's razor says the game was never actually "95% complete", of course.

As for Kickstarter, I suspect the developers of Jagged Alliance: Back in Action might find it hard to raise hundreds of thousands, even with the Codex's help.

Turbografx

Augur
Patron
Codex Year of the Donut
Don't worry, Black Isle's new project is all we need.
62515366_640.jpg

Mein Fuhrer... der angriff Black Isle ist nicht erfolgt...

Self-Ejected

HobGoblin42

Self-Ejected
Patron
Developer
Codex 2013 Codex USB, 2014
We keep getting told this game is "95% completed".

I still don't know who came up with that number but it wasn't me (actually I would be happy if we already reached that progress)

And I fear your other assumptions are not close to the truth either. In fact, the legal break off was caused by an unpaid milestone deliverance at the end of last year. Since then we're investing our own money to prevent an early failure of the project. But in April 2013, bitComposer forced us to stop the development through a legal injunction (which has been withdrawn one month later after bitComposer realized what they actually did).

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron

I still don't know who came up with that number but it wasn't me (actually I would be happy if we already reached that progress)

And I fear your other assumptions are not close to the truth either. In fact, the legal break off was caused by an unpaid milestone deliverance at the end of last year. Since then we're investing our own money to prevent an early failure of the project. But in April 2013, bitComposer forced us to stop the development through a legal injunction (which has been withdrawn one month later after bitComposer realized what they actually did).

Hmm. So why is Kickstarter an impossibility then?

commie

The Last Marxist
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
The incline list is surely getting shorter. From "OMG! Turn-based RPGs are everywhere!" to this.

Shadowrun - the modders will fix it
Chaos Chronicles - the lawyers got to it first.
And Expeditions:Conquistador sold like shit.

It went through KS and got shit all funding there too. I still got a game that I enjoyed at the end of it, so who cares?

Liston

Augur
It went through KS and got shit all funding there too. I still got a game that I enjoyed at the end of it, so who cares?

I care, it would be nice to have an expansion. With a few changes and a new campaign this game could have been great.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor

I presume bitComposer would have a say in whether or not they could do a Kickstarter Moreover, how many people are going to be eager to back a game that already has a somewhat questionable publisher? You can probably kiss a DRM free version out the window.

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron

I presume bitComposer would have a say in whether or not they could do a Kickstarter

According to bitComposer they are "still interested in the game."

Moreover, how many people are going to be eager to back a game that already has a somewhat questionable publisher? You can probably kiss a DRM free version out the window.

Conquistador had investors when they came to Kickstarter. I believe other games had as well.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Full Control's Jagged Alliance will have a DRM-free verison, won't it

Bulba

Learned
I think they should have abanded the combat alltogether, making it automatic and made lot's more ivents instead ie going full exploration game. would have been a much better game imho and probably would have sold much better since retardoes can't play games with tb combat.

fizzelopeguss

Arcane
Since bitComposer rejected to invest more money into our game, we had to get the money elsewhere. Throwing an unfinished and crappy game on the market was no option for us and that's why we had no other choice than borrowing money from third parties to continue the development and completion of our game. We wanted to release this particular game as it was intended, because otherwise we wouldn't get a second chance to create such a game again.​

At some point, you have to fight for your creative work, no matter what financial and legal consequences it could cause. Otherwise you would give up your work and all dreams you had.​

And before we release a game like 'Citadels' (which was released way before its completion), we prefer not release a game at all.

untitled121212glpg7.jpg

2yza7o7.gif

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
^ What's so funny? Citadels was literally unplayable and unfinish. Back in Action might not be our kind of game, but it was relatively bug-free and certainly a complete product.

Jack Dandy

Arcane
Divinity: Original Sin 2
Fuck no Bulba, I loved the combat in it. It could use some extra abilities \ unit types, but I still really enjoyed it.

The reason it didn't sell very well was probably because of a multitude of reasons, including:

1. Absolutely SHIT release date. It was around E3 and the release of TOLU, so hardly any of the 'big' sites even bothered reviewing it.
2. The country blocking aspect
3. The setting was less "cool" than Shadowrun's

They really should have done some more effort to spread it to e-celebs like TotalShitcunt or something.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Not being able to succeed on Greenlight should have been a huge red flag that the game needed better marketing. Instead they just went, "Wah, evil Steam users won't vote for us, bitComposer will save us."

Yeah, no.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
^ What's so funny? Citadels was literally unplayable and unfinish. Back in Action might not be our kind of game, but it was relatively bug-free and certainly a complete product.

Ya'll got hoodwinked by a shovelware studio.

Hoodwinked? What do you mean - did they scam us out of money or something?

(You might soon discover just how wrong you are about that.)

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom