Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News bitComposer issue official statement on Chaos Chronicles

DramaticPopcorn

I remember when Roguey embarrassed himself in the main CC thread months ago by taking Hobgoblin's joke about DRM literally in an attempt to attack the dev team. Dude must be pumped this project fell through roguey 1 coreplay 0 team sawyer 10,000+

DefJam! :love:

where tha hell have you been

HiddenX

The Elder Spy
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Most of the 'Chaos Chronicles' assets, source and content is still our property. And of course, our core engine and tools as well (I'd already started the development of those in 2005).
And surely we will not stop making games. We still need to deliver a turn-based RPG to the grim Codex crowd if we don't want our souls be cursed.

Don't forget us from RPGWatch, we are not as angry as some Codexians, but we are missing turn based combat games likewise the Codex.
Your souls would not only be cursed by the Codex they would be tormented in eternal hell by the Watchers, too if you don't deliver :)

Ausserdem liegt Hessen nah bei NRW, ich kann zur Kontrolle vorbeikommen... ;)

fizzelopeguss

Arcane
A Kickstarter? Has Coreplay given any indication they are capable of proper financial management and honest and transparent communication with their fanbase? (two of the more important, if not the most important skills required to conduct a successful Kickstarter) From what I'm reading ITT, looks like they haven't.

a dev posts on the codex, undivided loyalty and endless arse licking is required.

HiddenX

The Elder Spy
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Fuck 'da Watch.

Mv3Xewk.jpg

Volrath

Arcane
Patron
I remember when Roguey embarrassed himself in the main CC thread months ago by taking Hobgoblin's joke about DRM literally in an attempt to attack the dev team. Dude must be pumped this project fell through roguey 1 coreplay 0 team sawyer 10,000+

Always bet on Roguey

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
You folks suggesting Kickstarter must be out of your minds.

Remember Conquistador. "Turn-based original rpg strategy from some no-names" or whatever, and it struggled as fuck to meet its goal.

This would do either similarly or even worse. "Turn-based D&D tacticool rpg from a bunch of dudes who made Top Model and JA: Back in Action and have recently been in a money-related clusterfuck with their publisher", yeah, sounds like a recipe for success.

But Codexers would gladly donate!!!! Yes I'm sure the 3k dorra or something they'd get from the 'dex would mean ALL THE DIFFERENCE!!

mondblut

Arcane

Remember Conquistador. "Turn-based original rpg strategy from some no-names" or whatever, and it struggled as fuck to meet its goal.

This would do either similarly or even worse. "Turn-based D&D tacticool rpg from a bunch of dudes who made Top Model and JA: Back in Action and have recently been in a money-related clusterfuck with their publisher", yeah, sounds like a recipe for success.

But Codexers would gladly donate!!!! Yes I'm sure the 3k dorra or something they'd get from the 'dex would mean ALL THE DIFFERENCE!!

1. Suck off Fargo for a permission to slap his name upon the game's kickstarter.
2. ...
3. PROFIT

Sitra Achara

Arcane
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
They could play the 'fucked by evil publisher' card.
Also, they might be able to release a small combat demo.

Thing is, I don't think they'll go for it unless they're sure they can raise at least $0.5m. But look at the petition - which costs nothing - it only has ~600 signatures. So I doubt that's the case.

Burning Bridges

Enviado de meu SM-G3502T usando Tapatalk
Yeah, has anyone actually forgiven them for that atrocity? They'd probably need a decent downloadable demo - or at least a very, very good video.

I bet many people have forgiven them. BiA has made more people aware of JA2's legacy than doing any damage to it.
Before the game released there fears that popamole JA2 could be a success. But it didn't happen. Folks said what they had to say and the consensus was that it will never be Ja2 without tb combat.

It wasn't even complete crap either, runs on a good engine. Most visuals are also quite good, looking distinctly different from modern games.

Can you say "lawsuit"? Especially if bitComposer already slapped an injunction on the game previously. I wonder if it wouldn't be better to restructure whatever was paid by bitComposer as debt and enter into an agreement to repay it - at which point it's in both parties interest to see Coreplay release a finished and successful product. Otherwise, I guess they can spend the money on legal fees.

Yes it would be prudent to seek an agreement with bitcomposer first, before burning bridges with them. Bitcomposer may be interested in a solution, I'm sure they must be aware of the bad image that would come from sueing a kickstarter.

A Kickstarter? Has Coreplay given any indication they are capable of proper financial management and honest and transparent communication with their fanbase? (two of the more important, if not the most important skills required to conduct a successful Kickstarter) From what I'm reading ITT, looks like they haven't.

Don't get me wrong, I was naturally eagerly waiting for Chaos Chronicles' release, but it would suck even more if it ends up mirroring Double Fine's fiasco, especially because it would shatter whatever credibility the studio has left and probably the studio itself.

I think that's jumping to conclusions. There may have been mistakes, but I just don't see how one could interpret the facts in a way that Coreplay is not able to complete games or communicate with players.

markec

Twitterbot
Patron
Codex 2012 Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Dead State Project: Eternity Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath

Even if it did struggle that game got released which in my opinion is a big difference between that and letting the game disappear.

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
A fair number of Codexers will support a Chaos Chronicles: Reloaded kickstarter, that's for sure; but I'm not so sure about the rest of the internet.
A lot of people want a new D&D CRPG. This is the closest it could get (and now it's dead).
It's kind of crazy how no one has used OGL to make a video game other than KotC. You get almost the DnD branding and it's free.

Screw fake D&D-branding. The amount of people you could reach out to with actual Pathfinder-branding is pretty huge. Yet no one has went that way either, because every indie programmer believes himself capable of constructing more robust systems.

Kz3r0

Arcane
A fair number of Codexers will support a Chaos Chronicles: Reloaded kickstarter, that's for sure; but I'm not so sure about the rest of the internet.
A lot of people want a new D&D CRPG. This is the closest it could get (and now it's dead).
It's kind of crazy how no one has used OGL to make a video game other than KotC. You get almost the DnD branding and it's free.

Screw fake D&D-branding. The amount of people you could reach out to with actual Pathfinder-branding is pretty huge. Yet no one has went that way either, because every indie programmer Sawyer believes himself capable of constructing more robust systems.
:hearnoevil:

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
TBH Sawyer has an infinitely better chance at making something good than some random-ass indie developer. Most of the systems used in the smaller indie Kickstarters suck some serious ass.

sser

Arcane
Developer

But... I've written part one of a fan fiction on this whole thing.

AbounI

Colonist
Patron
I don't think KS is a viable solution.
First, Coreplay has now a new financial support.Do they need more cash and fall again in a 3 different investors scheme?Cash is important, of course, but a 3 parties scheme seems to be a nightmare when problems are coming
Second, Coreplay will need a good distribution service, as I assume collaboration with bC has come to its end.Peter would have love to release boxed version of CC, it could be the same in the futur.There are less and less publishers with this capacities or will.Specially when we're talking about indie niche projects.KS canno't provide selling solutions!!!

So why invest efforts, time, and money in a way that is not the solution?

Mrowak

Arcane
Project: Eternity

Screw fake D&D-branding. The amount of people you could reach out to with actual Pathfinder-branding is pretty huge. Yet no one has went that way either, because every indie programmer believes himself capable of constructing more robust systems.

I like the idea, but I guess you would have to strike a deal with Paizo, which isn't something indies fancy. I mean, beyond dealing with publisher nonsense they would have to get another cerberus to supervise them and provide moneyz for. Unless, of course, Paizo themselves would undertake to become the publisher. I wonder if they'd risk venturing into new grounds.

IDtenT

Menace to sobriety!
Patron
South Africa; My pronouns are: Banal/Shit/Boring
Divinity: Original Sin

I like the idea, but I guess you would have to strike a deal with Paizo, which isn't something indies fancy. I mean, beyond dealing with publisher nonsense they would have to get another cerberus to supervise them and provide moneyz for. Unless, of course, Paizo themselves would undertake to become the publisher. I wonder if they'd risk venturing into new grounds.
Just an executive producer role would be enough.

kaizoku

Arcane

What?! o_O

Pathfinder also has a "free" license like D&D OGL.
As long as they don't use their registered names, characters, and registered critters, they're fine.

Mrowak

Arcane
Project: Eternity
What?! o_O

Pathfinder also has a "free" license like D&D OGL.
As long as they don't use their registered names, characters, and registered critters, they're fine.

I thought we are talking about *branding* here. As it happens *branding* is a part of IP, not OGL (aka. fake-branding).

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer

It did struggle, but there is a HUGE difference between 'rpg strategy - run around the map and fight random battles' (not saying that that's what the game was, but that's how it was presented) and a proper DnD RPG where you can explore a good looking and detailed world with a tolkienesque party.

If done right, they can easily get 250-500k. Of course, 250-500k isn't a lot, but they can definitely do much better than Logic Artists.

Just look at this goodness:

http://www.chaos-chronicles.com/media/

CC_Nov2012_02.jpg

Rake

Arcane
That. Many people would donate for the awesome graphics alone.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom