Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Review Bizarre KOTOR 2 review at 2404

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer
Tags: Obsidian Entertainment; Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic 2: The Sith Lords

I haven't seen anything like that before. I've read "KOTOR is the best TB game evar" reviews, I've read "KOTOR is the deepest and the most non-linear role-playing experince evar" reviews, and I've even read "Whoa! KOTOR has the most amazing plot of the century" reviews, but this is something new. This new specimen of a KOTOR (well, technically it's KOTOR 2, but they all look the same to me) review comes from <a href=http://www.2404.org>2404</a> and could be found <a href=http://www.2404.org/modules.php?name=Reviews&rop=showcontent&id=96>here</a>.
<br>
<br>
<blockquote>THE GOOD
<br>
* Streamlined interface
<br>
* Faithful reproduction of the Star Wars universe
<br>
* Ability to shape your character through interactions with others
<br>
* Great cut-scenes
<br>
<br>
THE BAD
<br>
* Cheesy dialogue
<br>
* Underwhelming combat system in the early game
<br>
* Dated graphics.
<br>
<br>
Some of the characters dialogue is downright laughable, ranking among the worst in recent memory. While this isn’t a complete buzzkill, it does lessen the overall effect of the great, cut-scene driven plot.</blockquote>'nuff said.
<br>
<br>
<br>
Spotted at: <A HREF="http://www.bluesnews.com">Blue's News</A>

Otaku_Hanzo

Erudite
Someone said:
Some of the characters dialogue is downright laughable, ranking among the worst in recent memory.

I think he just got impatient with all the dialogue and wanted to get back to some hot RT/TB lightsaber action. Cheesy dialogue..... hah! :D

Sarkile

Magister
Patron
I didn't notice any more cheese in KoTOR 1's dialogue than in 2.

Spazmo

Erudite
To be fair, a lot of the KOTOR2 dialog is pretty pretentious and meaningless, especially when you take a step back and go "hang on--this is fucking Star Wars."

Sol Invictus

Erudite
Star Wars was always pretentious. It's just one of shows that takes itself too seriously in spite of content like Jar Jar and the Ewoks.

Greatatlantic

Erudite
I think I see the issue here. KotOR games have really cheesy dialogue. Some of it might be mildly ammusing, a lot of its just annoying. However, since its "STAR WARS" its OK to have cheesy dialogue. Thats right, the Star Wars lisence excuses more mediocrity then grade inflation.

It even makes flawed but worth buying games into must have mega hits. I don't know why, it just seems to be true.

Neverwhere

Novice
"Endure. Through enduring grow strong."

Hey, that's cheesy. Which game is that one from again?

Neverwhere

Novice
Errr... I did not intend to get an answer on that one. Could someone now please start flaming me for insulting one of the holy games?

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Pretty Princess Glory to Ukraine
"What flaws the game had were hardly in its dialogue."

If youa re trying to say that PST's dialogue was flawless you better go play it again. It's dialogue - while great - is most certainly not flawless, Mr. Bucko.

Anyone that claims anyhitng is flawless is obviously dancing in the realm of hyperbole. And you are very much a bucko me lad.....

bryce777

Erudite
Volourn said:
"What flaws the game had were hardly in its dialogue."

If youa re trying to say that PST's dialogue was flawless you better go play it again. It's dialogue - while great - is most certainly not flawless, Mr. Bucko.

Ok, I think there are a couple spelling errors....

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Pretty Princess Glory to Ukraine
"Ok, I think there are a couple spelling errors...."

LOL You win just for that cumback! Now wipe the drool!

Neverwhere

Novice
Certainly, PS:T's dialogue was far superior to the BIO-"pick up your henchman/-woman" routine. In fact, it was the best I have seen in CRPGs so far. That isn't to say, however, that is was not "pretentious and meaningless". Hey, this is role-playing, not philosophy class!

With these caveats in mind, I thought that most of the dialogue in KOTOR2 was quite alright. Sure, the Star Wars universe is particularly cheesy when it comes to the ethics behind it - but there was no way Mr. Avellone was going to change that. Or will you go to see Episode III expecting a film noir?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom