Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Review Bizarre KOTOR 2 review at 2404

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Pretty Princess Glory to Ukraine
"It's one thing to complain about NWN being crap"

Those who go on, and on about "NWN being crap" yet go on and on about how great a certain mod is or asking what mods would be worthdownloading is the very defintion of going overboard. :roll:

Saran

Scholar
Exitium said:
He's right. A lot of people here tend to go overboard when it comes to Bioware. It's one thing to complain about NWN being crap (which it is, for the most part) but some of the complaints against their story writing in Baldur's Gate border on the ridiculous.

No,no, im not disagreeing with him at all, though i could have made my point clearer.

What i meant was anybody that gives out about the way Bio handled BG2's continuity needs to wake up, it was handled in the only way they could,well unless they those with a problem would have prefered it if Bio pressed the reset button, even then the moaners would be complaining, after all, it wasnt like Fallout 2, a game set long after Fallout 1 with a completely different character.

So hate it for whatever reason you like, but your a Fool if you think they could have handled it any other way without losing the sense of continuation from the original that the game had.

And as far as volourn is concerned, let ,me put it this way, i read this board for months before i joined and i admire his determination but i have noticed he does, ON OCCASION, take someones remark about Bio the wrong way, which normally leads to unnecessary flaming, in fact i wonder how he keeps his sanity considering all the shit he gets. :lol:

Then again, look at all the crap you get and you help run the place!

RPG Codex: Let us rip you a new one! :wink:

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Pretty Princess Glory to Ukraine
"take someones remark about Bio the wrong way, which normally leads to unnecessary flaming,"

Unnecessary flaming? WTF? You are on the wrong site. there is no such thing as unnecessary flaming.

And, I never take remarks about BIo the wrong way. I just twist 'em. Subtle difference.

Greatatlantic

Erudite
Saran said:
So hate it for whatever reason you like, but your a Fool if you think they could have handled it any other way without losing the sense of continuation from the original that the game had.

Or, they could have used a quick cut scene or introductionary dialogue to summarize the events of the past game, like hundreds of sequels before them. Yeah, they were all FOOLS. Heck there are a dozen dialogue tricks they could have used to get the events out.

Anyways, I think the point about BGII was just that it had amnesia it some degree of another, and so many other games had amnesia to some degree or another. Thus, amnesia is a pretty trite thing to include in a game. It says nothing about BGII's story on a whole.

AlanC9

Liturgist
Greatatlantic said:
Saran said:
Or, they could have used a quick cut scene or introductionary dialogue to summarize the events of the past game, like hundreds of sequels before them. Yeah, they were all FOOLS. Heck there are a dozen dialogue tricks they could have used to get the events out.

They already did have an intro movie that recapped BG1. It was long enough as it was.

Anyways, I think the point about BGII was just that it had amnesia it some degree of another, and so many other games had amnesia to some degree or another.

If that was the point, then the poster was a fool. Your PC only has amnesia in BG2 if you decide he does. You have to specifically pick the dialog responses that say you don't remember someone.

The way Bio handled it is just fine. If I played BG1 I don't need a recap, so I just go right on with the game. If I didn't, I give my character amnesia, and the NPCs recap for me.

Jed

Cipher
Oh for fuck's sake--whether BG2 had a "true" amnesiac plot thread or not in no way detracts from the point being made about trite RPG plots and the hacks who write them.

Saran

Scholar
Shitty!

Oh wait, i lose. :cry:

Anyways, Greatatlantic they couldnt have summarised it in a cutscene, what if you were evil?

What if you had decided to tell minsk to fuck off, its been ages since i played it so im afraid to say those are the only examples i could think of.

So what then, do say to the people that played the original?
"Sorry, we dont like the way you played the game."

Of course not, one of the things that makes the BG series stand out from a lot of other story orientated CRPGS is the continuity, the only way they could satisfy all of the people that played BG was to use the old amnesia trick, and on a side note it probably helped a lot of people that didnt even play the original, after all how often does your best friend tell you his life story?

Not that often ill take it, so what would it have done to the sense of immersion if jaheira had started blathering on about what you did in BG, how she helped you get this or kill that, while that would have been great for people new to the series it would have fucked it up for the rest of us.

Monday: "Hey John, how are ya?" "Not too bad Saran, want to go see constantine?" "Fuck it, why not!"

Tuesday: "Hey John, how are ya?" "Not too bad Saran, remember how i asked you if you wanted to go see constantine yesterday and we did, and it was alright but Keanu Reeves was the most undead thing on the screen and we had a few pints at the pub afterwards and we played pool with the lads, and i scratched my arse, and then you went to the jacks and .........."

Hmmm, not really how it goes in my life, maybe it does in yours, in which case you would be more than justified in killing your friend.

slowly.

And yes, i do agree with your point about amnesia, but the same thing could be said about the old "hero from humble origins" cliche, i think it has more to do with the way amnesia is implemented, rather than the plot device itself.

Tell me, if you were responsible for a sequel to Fallout 1 in which you play on as the vault dweller how would you have handled it?

Remember, not everyone got dogmeat, how do you expain away the events of the first game without ruining the experiances of others?

Hell, lets just stick with BG if you prefer, how would you have handled the issue of which companions you had at the end of the original?

Sarkile

Magister
Patron
I would've had them all get their throats slit in the attack at the beginning of the game. Really, is their any reason for Irenicus to grab anybody who isn't Bhaalspawn?

Stark

Liturgist
Sarkile said:
I would've had them all get their throats slit in the attack at the beginning of the game. Really, is their any reason for Irenicus to grab anybody who isn't Bhaalspawn?

alot of things about crpg don't make sense if you start picking it apart like that. You can find plenty of ideas that do not make sense in Fallout, too.

Saran

Scholar
Sarkile said:

:lol:

Well, yea, you could always do that, but then wheres the drama, surely you have enjoyed at least one movie/book/game in which the bad guy took the heros friends hostage.

And thats ignoring the shitstorm that would have happened if Bioware had copped out like that.

Sarkile

Magister
Patron
Saran said:
And thats ignoring the shitstorm that would have happened if Bioware had copped out like that.
:) Well at this point they just chose one cop out over another.

Saran

Scholar
Sarkile said:
Saran said:
:) Well at this point they just chose one cop out over another.

:lol:

And to that all i can say is:

"I disagree."

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom