Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Black Desert - Korean MMO - Tent cities, conservating clothing, Oh my

Drakron

Arcane
Yes, you do start to get headaches with all the crap the pets picked up .. I wish I could tell them "greens and above only" since how many Yuria and other good gear that was lost because they were too busy in picking up broken fangs and similar trash ...

Did a test run, I am still quite happy with the combat input system since going back to a Valky after about 2 months of not really playing and it was very easy to recall how things work, things do seem a lot better and yes, they auto leveled the basic attack skills as I got refunded all the points I had put in my Maehwa basic attack so better basic attacks, things seem better overall for grinding even since skill points were certainly faster.

Sadly 50% sale of "cosmetics" just means dyes and costumes arent on it, pets are 20% off and getting at least one is a good idea.

Saark

Arcane
Patron
A Beautifully Desolate Campaign
Haven't played in a while, probably going to wait for awakenings to hit the EU/NA servers before I start it up again. It's kinda sad how great this game could've been with a little less RNG and some decent PvE endgame balancing.

Drakron

Arcane
They apparently want to do all the Awakening in one go as in Korea they are in "phases", Witch/Wizard are next and Ninja/Kunoichi will be after so I think its unlikely for then to come out in August considering Ninja/Kunoichi are still not out in NA/EU.

I agree with balance, Meriah quest have a absurdity that is talk-talk-tak-tak-go kill a lv53 Elite Rampaging that is in a mob, and that is at level 51 ... serious, that Imp Mine Supervisor was harder to deal that Red Nose that since apparently Scroll parties are dead I ended up having to Solo the Daily Scroll and I could deal with Red Nose just fine, that Imp Mine Supervisor fucker was far harder especially due to the respawn timer being short and suddenly I had mobs reappearing.

Meriah needs a good look at it, leveling 1-50 wasnt bad but Meriah just ... ugh ... I mean I can now level by doing Helms to 53 and then switch to Sausans if I am feeling cheeky but outside Mob Grinding the area sucks.

Lhynn

Arcane
Blatant milking of the game now. If you want to stay even barely competitive you have to pay a monthly fee.

Drakron

Arcane
Well its tax reduction is big, imagine the extra profits of selling a Ogre Ring with that active ... granted it was already in KR and they arent the first, TERA and Blade & Soul both have subs options, its just funnies they dont want to make one.

Problem with the game is well ... for a PvP game it too dependent on gear and gear is pants on retarded on RNG to get, they are trying to make it easier to reach but as long the current system stays ... competitive is for the nulife player, it makes it hard for new players to even enter and due to natural player burnout ... well ... its not being a "casual" thing, its more "if you arent putting 8 hours each day and been here from the start, your fucked", they are asking way too much for closing a gap, in KR because you can sell Pearl Store in the AH you can at least wallet the gear down (and I bet this was by design) but since that isnt in EU/NA ...

Matador

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
I'm thinking about jumping into this. Is it really good?

I usually mainly care about combat, exploration and art in ARPGs. I'm fan of Dark Souls and Dragon's Dogma, but I don't like Witcher's gameplay.

Would you recommend buying explorer's package or Traveler's package?

Drakron

Arcane
I would not buy it right now, they just declare they will allow costumes and pets to be sold on the Exchange.

Its having the expected effect with autism declaring it P2W and it might go F2P ... that said, I like the combat system but very gear dependent on later mobs.

Drakron

Arcane
Ha ha ha ha ha ha ... p2w ...

Let me tell you, the cost of Ultimate Reform Stones for your armor is about 6m and there are 4 parts (helm, chest, boots, glove) so overall that is about 24m and that is just a rarity upgrade, no enchantment Stone costs and Durability costs ... unless you have 100m dont even try to go +15 Liverto.

Outfits are selling short of 20m, pets? about under 6m.

You cannot p2w considering the exchange rate for silver is complete shit and you are limited to 5 per week, at beast you might make 100 mil and since you are taxed and apparently the value pack tax reduction doesnt apply to Pearl items, you are slapped with a 35% tax on sales, you arent even going to make 100m in the end.

Sykar

Arcane
Ha ha ha ha ha ha ... p2w ...

Let me tell you, the cost of Ultimate Reform Stones for your armor is about 6m and there are 4 parts (helm, chest, boots, glove) so overall that is about 24m and that is just a rarity upgrade, no enchantment Stone costs and Durability costs ... unless you have 100m dont even try to go +15 Liverto.

Outfits are selling short of 20m, pets? about under 6m.

You cannot p2w considering the exchange rate for silver is complete shit and you are limited to 5 per week, at beast you might make 100 mil and since you are taxed and apparently the value pack tax reduction doesnt apply to Pearl items, you are slapped with a 35% tax on sales, you arent even going to make 100m in the end.

Sorry I cannot follow you entirely here. From what I understood from certain videos is that they add new items and benefits for certain packages you can buy either as a sort of bundle or directly from the cash shop:

Drakron

Arcane
There was drama when they announced they would allow some, not all, Pearl store items to be sold on the Exchange.

There was some about the Value Pack that is pretty much a subscription with bonus but really, if that was p2w so was all the costumes and pets we had since launch.

Now the Exchange have a ceiling, meaning items cannot drop under a certain amount or pass a certain amount ... you cannot sell carrots for 1 million silver each for example, there are some hard limits and some soft limits, soft is price fluctuation due to sales that goes up and down that you can set your item listing price as hard is set that cannot go under or over period.

A Ultimate Reform Store is a item that turns say a Grumil Armor that is normally a green item into a gold item, it gains several bonus over the base green item, for example it gains damage reduction of 2 for every damage type so I certainly improved my armor (that I already did by using a Lv2 reform stone so they would be blue rarity ... except the helm that failed twice and stayed green), the reason I am saying this is there is a event going on and one of the rewards is a Ultimate Armor Reform Stone so the Exchange got many of them (instead of having NONE) so the price likely got a bit lower and it still cost me about 5.7m EACH.

So selling one costume is not enough able to afford reform stones to turn your armor into its Ultimate form and this is just normal armor, bot Boss Armor that is BIS ... because those usually go for over 100m and, again, that is WITHOUT the enchantment costs because, OK stones are easy but if the enchantment fails, the item suffers a durability loss you have to repair ... and only the same item can repair it or Memory Fragments (since Boss Armor to Repair Boss Armor would be prohibitive expensive otherwise, the cost is 1 item per 10 durability, Memory Fragments restore less but are far easier to get) so even 100m would not even begin to cover the costs of a BIS item.

That drama was because people thought the ceiling was higher, like 200-100m ... instead is 20m right now, we dont know if its the hard ceiling or not but its not going over it, making the whole p2w argument really stupid because the exchange rate of Real Money Silver is too low, it about 75 cents per million or even less because if you sell something in the Exchange ... there is a tax of 35% of the sale and that tax apparently always apply so its not even 75 cents per million silver, its even worst and you are still timegated of 5 sales per week, thats 25 sales per month and that would still not be enough for going in full BIS because enchantments on accessories are handled differently, without a specific item (Crom stones, they cost a million silver) if the enchantment fails BOTH items are lost and I said both items because in other to enchant a accessory you need to use the same item, how Ogre Rings that are BIS for necklace slot are well over 100 million so you can see how costly that can became.

In short p2w in BDO would have to be silver-gear since the game is so gear intensive and the best gear is so costly that with the current Real Money-Silver it would take months if not years to buy your way into maxed BIS gear.

Plus side, you can maybe get a pet for 6 million silver and there are some milestome achievements that give you a lot of silver, like 10 million to reach a certain amount of energy and pets ARE very important in BDO because they auto-pick loot, they improve dramatic your ability to generate silver.

Edit:Cannot into math apparently.

Last edited:

Sykar

Arcane
I wouldn't call it cheap but it seems to follow the same pattern all korean MMOs follow which is empty content with lots of grind instead of a proper quest design and drifting more and more into the p2w path despite the fact that they used B2P model initially promising they would not do that.

Lhynn

Arcane
Fuck quests in mmos. The main design philosophy for them should be that the player is the content and the players make the fun.

Steep penalties for dying and important pvp events that affect the entire server.

Norfleet

That was how things used to be, but people apparently weren't fond of the notion of grinding rats to level up.

Drakron

Arcane
Black Desert is very gear dependent, PvP in BDO is just something if you cannot put 40 hours a week dont bother.

Lhynn

Arcane
That was how things used to be, but people apparently weren't fond of the notion of grinding rats to level up.
Just get rid of respawning enemies. Combat opportunities should be fairly limited, risky and rewarding. And most of the time in an mmo should be downtime where you do your own thing. Like exploring the world, working on your property or your skills, etc.
Been in plenty of Nwn servers to know that it works fairly well and keeps people playing.

markec

Twitterbot
Patron
Codex 2012 Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Dead State Project: Eternity Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
https://bdomaths.wordpress.com/2016/08/06/the-end-of-a-short-journey/

The end of a short journey

Edit: Since this post published less than two days ago had now been viewed by 50k+ unique users including many sites not in direct relationship to BDO, I must clarify with a bit of context for those not familiar with me and the community. I am was a content creator for BDO specializing in mathematics and optimization, especially in gearing. My work is unique and no other known BDO player had been able to do what I do, as a result, this blog has thousands of unique clicks a day even when I don’t publish an article. When I do publish, that number can spike to over 10k. I had never been warned or banned on the forum previously for any bad conduct, and had always been considered among the most outspoken and logical members of the BDO community.

Yesterday in response to community outcry of Daum P2W policy, I wrote an extensive thread summarizing the thoughts and feelings the community had on Daum’s betrayal. The thread received universal support, with the popular post badge being awarded soon after posting. Many users expressed how well the thread summarized their feelings and thanked me for presenting their views in a clear, logical and concise manner. At the time of screenshot, excluding official posts, my thread was the most upvoted thread on the subject in the entire forums.

Because I already predicted what was likely going to be Daum’s response, I screenshotted the thread this morning. The full post can also be viewed on Pastebin here: http://pastebin.com/uPmTEpDi

1.jpg

And not surprisingly, they acted exactly as I predicted they likely would. I was banned on the forum and the thread was removed.

capture1.jpg

capture2.jpg

By doing this, Daum had clearly demonstrated they do not care about community feedback. In response to criticism, they chose censorship over transparent communication.

What did Jouska do after the community reacted to the announcement? Did he communicate and facilitate what’s going on? Did he listen to or at least acknowledge community feedback? No. He added an extra line to his announcement post to “clarify” why this is a good idea.

capture3.jpg

Because we are the KR, JP and RU community am I right? Since the KR, JP and RU community loved it (citations needed), we should get it here. What do they take us players as? Mentally retarded? At least try harder if you’re going to lie. At this point, the low effort lies are straight up insulting.

In fact, look at this.

Before:

123.png

After:

234.png

Notice the difference? In response to negative feedback, feedback is no longer considered paramount to them. They also don’t seem to want to communicate on our behalf anymore.

For those interested, they also removed the line claiming PA was behind this change. It is now reasonable to assume Daum is at least partially behind this change. The link to the thread with evidence is here. If it disappears, you know what’s up.

Heck, why not remove the 5 items limit policy too?

Before:

capture4.jpg

After:

capture5.jpg

Daum and P2W supporters would love to tell you how well KR is doing. It’s not. KR is basically dead. KR BDO is ranked like 81th on the list of popular online games played by Koreans. Can you even list 15 MMOs? 81th is straight up pathetic. Unlike Daum, here’s the citation:

weekly-korean-mmo-rankings4.png

Edit: Some users consider 81st by GameNote too low and some sites also list BDO at around rank 20th. I don’t know which is more accurate, but regardless, the statistics are bad whether it’s 20th or 81st.

Even if they end up cancelling this decision, no reasonable person would ever trust them again. P2W only gets worse as a game gets older, so it’s inevitable they will pull something similar shortly down the track regardless.

In no way was my thread hate speech or irrational. My thread was not a bait and it was not inflammatory. I simply wrote down my view of the community’s feelings word for word. Daum silenced me, and thousands upon thousands of other users who share the same sentiment. Why acknowledge us? Just delete the thread and pretend it never existed.

I was going to just leave in silence when the patch hits. It would have been a feeling of disappointment mixed with regret. Now those emotions had been completely replaced with anger and discontentment. Daum’s disgusting behavior is unacceptable, and at this point in time, I had already requested my chargeback. Daum had undoubtedly broken all the promises for their product, this is a bait-and-switch. A few hundred dollars is nothing, but a company that acts like this deserves none of my money. This is not an issue of cost, this is an issue of principle.

BDO community consist of many ex-Archeage players who saw its rise and fall and was promised a new haven. It turned out, they simply misspelled hell. I urge the community to stand together and reject this tyranny. Let’s show them what trust is really worth.

Cromwell

Arcane
Most logical and intelligent poster on BDO Forms: "LoL is MMO, LoL is not p2w, Riot are not greedy fuckers."

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom